experiences with LaCie USB hard drive

Old February 5th 05, 12:12 PM
Andrew

Default experiences with LaCie USB hard drive

have you got any experiences with LaCie hard drive?

I would like to buy one (LaCie 300728ek 250 GB Hard Drive LaCie 300728ek 250
GB Hard Drive)

Old February 6th 05, 03:56 AM
Yura Pismerov

Andrew wrote:
have you got any experiences with LaCie hard drive?

There is no such thing as LaCie hard drive
What LaCie does is enclosures where they put (mostly) Maxtor drives.
If you mean the quality of the enclosures I say they are decent, but I'd not consider anything but D2 series.
I saw and (dealt with) their another line - Porsche and I was not impressed - the drives overheat too easy because
there is not much metal in the cases. The D2 look and feel very solid and don't require extra cooling since the cases
are massive and act as heatsink.

Old February 7th 05, 08:44 AM
jtsnow

i have an older one......50gb. Works great. Its a bit larger and fan
louder then new 250gb different brand I got. but no complaints about it and
its as fast as other USB drive I have.

Old February 8th 05, 05:17 AM
Maxim S. Shatskih

Can it be powered from USB? Or requires a standalone power?

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation

http://www.storagecraft.com

Old February 8th 05, 10:50 PM
Andrew

"Maxim S. Shatskih" wrote in message
Can it be powered from USB? Or requires a standalone power?

thank you very much for your opinions.
i have bought the 250gb one - I think it's the cheapest ratio gb/price on
the market at the moment. for the time being it works for me great!

(it needs standalone power)

Old February 9th 05, 12:38 AM
Yura Pismerov

Just make sure it does not work 24x7.
As I said, the Porsche design (that you picked) is very poor - they overheat like crazy.