best core in a 4400 x2 chip

Old July 8th 06, 02:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
mike6

Default best core in a 4400 x2 chip

hi there

I'm thinking of upgrading my CPU too a 4400 x2 , which core is
best ? Toledo , Windsor etc... ??? or which chip is a better
price/performance deal?

Old July 8th 06, 02:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
General Schvantzkoph

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 21:30:53 -0400, mike6 wrote:

hi there

I'm thinking of upgrading my CPU too a 4400 x2 , which core is
best ? Toledo , Windsor etc... ??? or which chip is a better
price/performance deal?

Get one fast, AMD is discontinuing the 4400+. They are only going to
produce 1/2M cache A64s although the Opterons will continue to have 1M
caches.
Old July 8th 06, 03:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
John Weiss

"mike6" wrote...

I'm thinking of upgrading my CPU too a 4400 x2 , which core is
best ? Toledo , Windsor etc... ??? or which chip is a better
price/performance deal?

The ADO4400CSBOX / ADO4400IAA6CS part numbers are the 65 watt versions (note the
letter O in the 3rd character), and the ADA4400CSBOX / ADA4400IAA6CS are the 89
watt versions in the AM2 socket. They will likely be more expensive than the
Socket 939 variety, which are ADA4400CDBOX / ADV4400DAA6CD (89 watts) or
ADA4400CDBOX / ADA4400DAA6CD (110 watts).

Since all have the same technology (90 nm), clock speed (2.2 GHz) and cache (1
MB x 2), you will have to balance initial cost with cost of operation. Choice
of MoBo, chipset, and video will likely have more performance variations...

The AMD site doesn't say a lot about the core names (Toledo, Windsor, etc), but
they have all the technical info you need.

Old July 8th 06, 08:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
bright_

John Weiss wrote:
"mike6" wrote...

I'm thinking of upgrading my CPU too a 4400 x2 , which core is
best ? Toledo , Windsor etc... ??? or which chip is a better
price/performance deal?

The ADO4400CSBOX / ADO4400IAA6CS part numbers are the 65 watt versions (note the
letter O in the 3rd character), and the ADA4400CSBOX / ADA4400IAA6CS are the 89
watt versions in the AM2 socket. They will likely be more expensive than the
Socket 939 variety, which are ADA4400CDBOX / ADV4400DAA6CD (89 watts) or
ADA4400CDBOX / ADA4400DAA6CD (110 watts).

Since all have the same technology (90 nm), clock speed (2.2 GHz) and cache (1
MB x 2), you will have to balance initial cost with cost of operation. Choice
of MoBo, chipset, and video will likely have more performance variations...

The AMD site doesn't say a lot about the core names (Toledo, Windsor, etc), but
they have all the technical info you need.

Toldeo is the most well known core for the higher cache cores, some
3800 X2's ended up with Toledo cores after half the cache failed too. I
would say personally go with a Toledo core, as my Toledo core 3800 X2
has clocked to 2.6GHz on Air without much fuss, i reckon it'd go
further with a better HSF too

If your not into overclocking it doesn't really matter, they will have
the same clock speed and amount of cache, so if you aren't
overclocking, don't worry, just buy one