why no more ATA-133 support?

Old November 8th 04, 04:10 AM

Default why no more ATA-133 support?

I built my last computer in Spring 2001, and at the time everything
was coming out with ATA-133 IDE. Both my motherboard (Intel 815
chipset-based) and the drives I bought supported it.

i recently purchased a new motherboard, & when i was looking, I
noticed that none of the current Intel chipsets support ATA-133, only
ATA-100 max plus SATA. I ended up buying an Intel 865G chipset-based
motherboard, which says it's only ATA-100, though the BIOS shows my
drives detected as UDMA mode 5. I'm using my old drives, but briefly
looking at newer drivers, I notice many are only ATA-100.

just out of curiosity, anyone know why vendors seemingly have dropped
133? i can't imagine it matters in the real world on a home PC, i'm
just interested.

thanks
Old November 8th 04, 05:01 AM
jpsga

wrote in message
om...
I built my last computer in Spring 2001, and at the time everything
was coming out with ATA-133 IDE. Both my motherboard (Intel 815
chipset-based) and the drives I bought supported it.

i recently purchased a new motherboard, & when i was looking, I
noticed that none of the current Intel chipsets support ATA-133, only
ATA-100 max plus SATA. I ended up buying an Intel 865G chipset-based
motherboard, which says it's only ATA-100, though the BIOS shows my
drives detected as UDMA mode 5. I'm using my old drives, but briefly
looking at newer drivers, I notice many are only ATA-100.

just out of curiosity, anyone know why vendors seemingly have dropped
133? i can't imagine it matters in the real world on a home PC, i'm
just interested.

thanks

Well ATA-133 like ATA 100 is marketing hype as you suspected. The drives are
well below those numbers in read speed.
I you are serious about a new drive look at the data shown at
storagereview.com.
JPS

Old November 9th 04, 12:21 AM
DaveW

The manufacturers are all in the midst of switching over to SATA harddrive
controllers.

--
DaveW

om...