G550 vs. ATI Radeon X300 Se

Old September 28th 05, 04:05 AM
Andrew Barss

Default G550 vs. ATI Radeon X300 Se

My wife just bought a Dell 9100, with an ATI Radeon X300 SE HyperMemory
card with 128 MB memory. We also have a Matrox G550 lying around (it was
supposed to go into her old computer).

Is there any reason to replace the ATI card with the Matrox? Her main
needs are (i) text editing, and (ii) photo editing. She will be using one
older analog monitor (17" NEC), and Dell digital ultrasharp 1950FP 19"
monitor.

Thanks --

-- And\y Barss
Old September 28th 05, 05:57 PM
Andrew Barss

Is the Sony a CRT or LCD monitor? She will be using an NEC CRT and a Dell
digital LCD.

-- Andy Barss

--

Andy Barss
Department of Linguistics, University of Arizona

Old September 29th 05, 09:57 PM
Andrew Barss

Tatanka Yotanka wrote:
: On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 03:05:22 +0000, Andrew Barss wrote:
:
: If you're looking for a better 2D quality the answer is a definitive YES.
: I have an old G400 without dvi, a gorgeous Sony 19" panel and a radeon
: 9200 with dvi on another computer.

Is there any way to install both cards on the machine? I'm just thinking
that the 128MB memory on the ATI might come in handy from time to time.

Thanks for the advice --

Andy Barss
Old September 29th 05, 10:06 PM
tod

I'm a Matrox fan and still use a Matrox G400 DH 32MB in a work computer.
But the ATI X300 is a much newer design, stay with the ATI

Old October 11th 05, 02:25 AM
Shaun

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 00:54:28 +0200, Tatanka Yotanka
wrote:

I suppose it's possible. The ati X300 is of course better in 3D, not by
much however. Otherwise 128M are just useful if you do 3D.

Look here for gpu comparisons:
http://users.erols.com/chare/video.htm

It's about 1000x faster in 3d, directx 9 compliant, etc etc Use Dvi
out for the flat panel, use clear type option in Appearance Effects
…put the crt on the vga output.

Btw, Matrox is AGP and the ATI is PCI Express so it was a dead issue
from the start