What should I enter for video?

Old October 1st 10, 02:16 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
mm

Default What should I enter for video?

I have several programs lately that ask what kind of video I have, and
I don't know what to say.

I think they have all tried the most likely kind of video and decided
I don't have it, even though this has happened on three different
computers.

The latest a flash drive version of AVG antivirus which wanted to know
if I had VESA or VGA w/Vesa, iirc. There were other choices that
seemed less likely. I looked up VESA and it said it was Super VGA
iiuc, and I left plain VGA behind long ago for SVGA, but I didn't
think it was VESA.

Then, I think whichever I said, it gave me 7 more choices, 300x800x16,
300x800x32, stuff like that, and I didn't know what to chooose or how
to find out. This was a 10" netbook, but I'm not asking you to look
it up, since using option 7 worked fine. I just want to know how to
tell.

On another occaision the antivirus boot rescue disk Bit Defender
worked with no problem on my computer, with a Dell Trinitron 17" CRT
(which has a short catchy model number but they don't put it on the
front of the monitor!) But at my friend's house, with a LCD monitor,
it complained and wanted to know what kind of monitor and I tried 4
options, and in every case, the image was bigger than the screen and
the OK button, etc. couldn't be seen, so we couldn't click on anything
or use it.

And on my computer too some program recently asked what kind of
monitor/image I had.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks