Blue Screen When Ejecting CD/DVD ???

Old December 12th 07, 01:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jay B

Default Blue Screen When Ejecting CD/DVD ???

sounds to me like a antivirus program is not bahaving properly.
what are you running?
i would disable that and see if it works.
that is what i found when i last saw some stop 7E errors.

Erehwon wrote:
"Erehwon" wrote in message
I'm suddenly getting the blue screen saying with a "stop error" saying "A
problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent
damage... This occurs consistently whenever I eject a CD or DVD from
either my CD/DVD-ROM drive or CD/DVD+RW drive regardless of whether I use
the button on the drive or select "eject" from the right click menu for
the drive. CDs & DVDs still read fine and can still write to the RW. It
may just be a coincidence but I first noticed this after trying to read a
DVD of wedding pictures a few days ago. The DVD had about 1100 pictures.
The last 50 would not read and, in fact, locked up the computer to the
point that I received a "My Computer has stopped responding and must be
shut down..." error. I've tried going back to a restore point prior to
the date I first tried the wedding DVD. I've also run Ad-Aware, Spybot,
and AVG all without success. Computer is a 2004 Dell Dimension 8300, 3
GHZ P4, with NEC ND-2100AD DVD+R/W and JLMS XJ-HD166 DVD-ROM. Running XP
Home SP-2 and current on all the updates.

Thanks for all the suggestions but, so far, no success.
The only thing on the DVD that seems to have started this mess were .jpg
files and the only program I used to view them was Windows Picture and Fax
Viewer. I also tried copying individual files as well as the whole DVD to
my hard drive.
Both drives just use the Windows default drivers and I did try uninstalling
and reinstalling the drives as well as going back to a restore point prior
to this issue.
I've tried starting with a blank CD-RW and it seems I can write a few files
and the drive works fine but then starts causing the BSOD on eject again.
No pattern to how many files or what types.
I've tried shutting down and unplugging the machine for a few hours.
Downloaded and ran Grisoft AVG Anti-Rootkit Free and didn't find any
problems.
Any troubleshooting I've found relates to a BSOD preventing Windows from
starting which, fortunately, I don't have (yet), or drives that won't read
or write which mine do.
I'm still under extended warranty so I guess I could try to get the drives
replaced but I can't imagine both developing the same problem at the same
time. Other than that I don't have any ideas other than reformatting which
doesn't seem like much fun.
Is there any way to translate the error code "Stop: 0xC0000007E (0xC0000005,
0x806FF94F, 0xF7B7cC30, 0xF7B7c92C)"? It stays the same except that the
(lower case) "c" may also be a 0, 4, or 8 (always the same in both
locations).

Old December 12th 07, 01:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

if you can recall when this problem started, then why not try a system
restore to a point before the trouble.
start-allprograms-acessories-systemtool-systemrestore.
does not damge your data but will require reinstallation of programs done
after the restore data, and may be the simple fix you need.

Old December 12th 07, 02:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ogden Johnson III

"Christopher Muto" wrote:

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote

Ubisoft and Codemasters were two of the companies who installed this
**** on systems, more info can be found he
http://www.glop.org/starforce/

FWIW I just checked my system, and discovered the phuckers have it on
my system too...

I did install a free (legit!) download version of Trackmania a while
ago, for which I can see no legal or otherwise reason to have
installed this as part of the free game.

****s !

There's no other description for these ****s compromising users'
systems in this way.

another culprit is sony who produced may music cds that installed a rootkit
without informing the user.
they were taken to court and ordered to offer replacement cds for each of
the titles they published with this unscrupulous software. i suspect few
eve heard about the settlement and even fewer took the time to review the
titles that were infected or bothered to send them in for replacement.
a good free rootkit scan is available from grisoft...
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/download...otkit/us/frt/0

Chris, that link was cut off a tad, and stalled out on me. The
link that worked for me after I backed up on the URL a bit was:

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/download.../frt/0?prd=arw

TinyURL: http://preview.tinyurl.com/2cxz3j

--
OJ III
Old December 12th 07, 02:52 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
cmplx80

Erehwon wrote:
"Erehwon" wrote in message

[...]

I'm assuming that "Stop: 0xC0000007E" should be "Stop: 0x0000007E".
The error code, "0xC0000005" is a memory access error.
Sometimes, there is additional info below the bug check numbers
indicating which driver ( *.sys ) caused the problem.

I recall a problem with Roxio not working well with the freebie version
of AVG. I suggest getting the latest drivers for Roxio or Nero if
you're using those packages. I doubt that it's a drive hardware problem
since it happens on both devices.
Old December 12th 07, 08:03 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Erehwon[_2_]

"Erehwon" wrote in message

"Erehwon" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks again for the continuing assistance. I'm hoping I may be closing in
on the issue. It seems that program or music CD's & DVD's and even older
CD/DVD -R or RW aren't causing a problem (although I need to continue
testing for a while to verify that). So far it's only been CDs or DVDs that
I've written to since having problems with the wedding DVD that are causing
the BSOD when ejecting. So, apparently, the wedding DVD somehow caused my
DVD-R/RW to start writing some kind of error to the disk that causes it to
trigger a BSOD when ejecting from either drive? Is that even remotely
possible? If I can verify this it will be interesting to see if I can
explain it to DELL for a replacement. Perhaps I need to try a disk cleaner
first, although the wedding DVD was clean with no visible scratches or other
damage.

Old December 12th 07, 08:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_2_]

"Erehwon" wrote in message

"Erehwon" wrote in message

"Erehwon" wrote in message
[...]

Funny. Last night I had a Dell Dimension 2400 lock up (hard lock up) when
reading a CD R containing just one file (WinXP SP2).

No blue screen however. But I was just viewing the disc through a folder
view.

Geforce FX 5200 128MB Blue Screen (White is blue) Wildbill Nvidia Videocards 3 April 14th 04 06:40 AM
Blue screen Tony Dell Computers 2 January 24th 04 09:37 PM
blue screen mikey Dell Computers 6 December 17th 03 07:17 AM
blue screen me Dell Computers 1 November 1st 03 03:40 PM
msn 6.0 blue screen Pieter Webcams 1 August 20th 03 06:11 AM