Ghosting and unclear print w/ATI 9200 SE & Cornea 17" LCD monitor combo - help?!

Old January 3rd 04, 11:27 PM
Dr Richard Cranium

sounds like a pitch and phase prob. while you are looking at your LCD with a place that
has blurry, banding
screen. (i assume you do have the correct LCD monitor drivers installed and not just the
default plug n play monitor drivers) anyway, go into the LCD monitor setup screen and
find the "auto" function. Press that.

what happens ?

if this didn't clear up the prob(s), then experiment with manual settings for pitch and
phase. You'll see how these can create the symptoms you describe - even with a clear crisp
LCD monitor.

try this in the "native resolution" also. (thats in the LCD manual)

hope this helps,

===============================
** No Pili'kaia **

** No Fate **

cheers,
dracman
Tomb Raider: Shotgun City
http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb.htm
http://www.smokeypoint.org/traod/traod.html

**savegame editors all versions Tomb Raider & TRAOD godmode
http://www.smokeypoint.com/tr2code.htm

http://www.smokeypoint.com/tombraide...r1pictures.htm
http://www.smokeypoint.com/3dfx.htm
http://www.smokeypoint.com/banshee.html
http://www.smokeypoint.com/My_PC.htm
http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb2.htm#Tova

** GTA III vice City Character MOD
http://www.smokeypoint.com/uzi.htm#gta3

NFS: drive at the limits of tyre adhesion ! snag Lara's Croftraider IV sports car ! !
NFS3:NFS4
http://www.smokeypoint.com/3dfx.htm#raider

"Dave Hanson" wrote in message
: Hello,
:
: Wondering if anyone out there is 'seeing' the same or simliar problems I am
: having with a
: combination of an ATI 9200 SE board plugged into an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
: mobo driving a
: Cornea Systems 17" LCD display running Windows XP Home.
:
: SYMPTOM : Subtle but very annoying ghosting and banding (especially in
: darker colours). Print also
: appears somewhat 'blurred' but this may be because of the subtle
: ghosting... Makes veiwing over
: even short periods tiresome at best.
:
: RESOLUTION : 1200 x 1024 (the native resolution of the LCD screen),
: anything lower looks
: very poor quality
:
: THINGS I HAVE TRIED :
:
: - I have run the LCD screen off a T-series IBM laptop with an S3 video
: chipset and see no apparent ghosting
: and get clearer text.
: - I have run the LCD screen off an ASUS board with an integrated ATI
: graphics (8100) chipset with
: no apparent banding.
: - I have updated the ATI card with the very latest drivers (as of Jan.3rd,
: 2004) from the ATIwebsite but
: still have the same problem.
: - I have tried fiddling with the refresh rates, to no avail.
: - I have downloaded and installed the Cornea INF file to better identify
: the output device to Windows.
:
: This leads me to believe ... I should be concentrating on the video board as
: the root cause(?)
:
: The LCD monitor has no digital output plugs, only analog.
:
: Ideas and real world experiences appreciated.
:
: --
: Regards,
: Dave
:
:

at http://www.TitanNews.com

Old January 4th 04, 04:35 AM
Jim

Did you use the same cable for all tests ? a longer cable or one of a
different quality or use of a KVM switch will all degrade video image
quality.
Is the card a made by ATI or powered by ATI card. I have seen off brand
9200SE's that had very poor image quality as compared to a true ATI card.

--
Regards,
Dave

Old January 4th 04, 11:33 AM
Dr Richard Cranium

whoa, thot that would help major. Following along with the threads helping below. I have
those snap on ferrite blocks on my cables. My Sony has analog only.

Lets take a look at what you might have in close proximity. Any speakers close to your
video cable ? Close to your LCD ? If so, try to move those away. Is you monitor on a desk
up against the wall, that might have power lines running up inside them ? Sometimes even
relocating the monitor a few inches away from a big power transformer (even the power
supply in your PC, or speakers) clears up "received" interference.
You might have a grounding prob. You have three prong wall outlets ? Two ? Two don't
carry the chassis ground properly. Then you might have to consider an isolation
transformer. I bet you could purchase one at best buy or circuit city in the form of an
isolation outlet strip.

hope this helps,

===============================
** No Pili'kaia **

** No Fate **

cheers,
dracman
Tomb Raider: Shotgun City
http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb.htm
http://www.smokeypoint.org/traod/traod.html

**savegame editors all versions Tomb Raider & TRAOD godmode
http://www.smokeypoint.com/tr2code.htm

http://www.smokeypoint.com/tombraide...r1pictures.htm
http://www.smokeypoint.com/3dfx.htm
http://www.smokeypoint.com/banshee.html
http://www.smokeypoint.com/My_PC.htm
http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb2.htm#Tova

** GTA III vice City Character MOD
http://www.smokeypoint.com/uzi.htm#gta3

NFS: drive at the limits of tyre adhesion ! snag Lara's Croftraider IV sports car ! !
NFS3:NFS4
http://www.smokeypoint.com/3dfx.htm#raider

http://www.smokeypoint.com/3dfx.htm#blondstranger
NFS:HS - Reg method to add your d3d card to NFS:HS
NFS III - Reg method to add your d3d card to NFS:HP

"Dave Hanson" wrote in message
news :
: "Dr Richard Cranium" wrote in message
: . ..
: sounds like a pitch and phase prob. while you are looking at your LCD
: with a place that
: has blurry, banding
: screen. (i assume you do have the correct LCD monitor drivers installed
: and not just the
: default plug n play monitor drivers) anyway, go into the LCD monitor
: setup screen and
: find the "auto" function. Press that.
:
: what happens ?
:
: The screen resets but the banding is still evident. I should reinforce that
: the banding is not really
: evident on a white screen (although it probably still exists).
:
: if this didn't clear up the prob(s), then experiment with manual settings
: for pitch and
: phase. You'll see how these can create the symptoms you describe - even
: with a clear crisp
: LCD monitor.
:
: try this in the "native resolution" also. (thats in the LCD manual)
:
: I will hunt for the manual however I believe the native resolution is
: 1200x1024 as all other resolutions,
: while readable, are unclear and approximations when it comes to fonts.
:
: Do you have a Cornea LCD screen (or know anyone that does?)
:
: Regards,
: Dave
:
:
:

at http://www.TitanNews.com

Old January 4th 04, 04:33 PM
Dave Hanson

"Jim" wrote in message
Did you use the same cable for all tests ? a longer cable or one of a
different quality or use of a KVM switch will all degrade video image
quality.
Is the card a made by ATI or powered by ATI card. I have seen off brand
9200SE's that had very poor image quality as compared to a true ATI card.

Hi Jim, thanks for your suggestions ... yes same cable for all tests.

The card is made by ATI not just powered by the ATI chipset.

Dave

Old January 4th 04, 04:38 PM
HornDog

[...]

Ghosting can be caused by a long cable with out
a filter on the cable. That round thing.

Old January 5th 04, 06:19 AM
Dave Hanson

[...]

Hello Dr.!

My cable also appears to have the ferrit block(s) on it. Nope, no speakers
at this point
and I still have the same problem. The monitor is on the dining room table
and not close
to a wall. The wall outlets are three-pronged....

I trolled Google newsgroups last night and found another person having
exactly the same
problem as me and chalked it up to a marginal or bad card. He went back and
got it
replaced....this is what I intend to do as I know I don't get the banding
and ghosting
with the two other machines that I have tested the LCD screen with.

Regards,
Dave