ASUS P2B MB and single sided stck of 256 meg of memory...

Old November 19th 04, 09:07 AM

Default ASUS P2B MB and single sided stck of 256 meg of memory...

It appears that 256 single sided memory when inerted only show a tolal
of 192 megs of mem (64 meg also added)...has anyonethis problem? did a
later bios upgrade correct it.

manual only does up to 128 meg of single sided support and 256meg of
doble sised supported.

any ideas would be much appreciated. thanx
Old November 19th 04, 09:12 AM
Roger Hamlett

Portia wrote in message
It appears that 256 single sided memory when inerted only show a tolal
of 192 megs of mem (64 meg also added)...has anyonethis problem? did a
later bios upgrade correct it.

manual only does up to 128 meg of single sided support and 256meg of
doble sised supported.

any ideas would be much appreciated. thanx

The 256MB stick, is only being seen as 128MB (plus the other 64MB=192MB).
This is an addressing limitation of the chipset (not fixable in the BIOS).
This is why the manual lists the sizes it does. A double sided 256MB
module will work fine.

Best Wishes

Old November 19th 04, 04:50 PM
Paul

In article , "Roger Hamlett"
wrote:

Portia wrote in message
It appears that 256 single sided memory when inerted only show a tolal
of 192 megs of mem (64 meg also added)...has anyonethis problem? did a
later bios upgrade correct it.

manual only does up to 128 meg of single sided support and 256meg of
doble sised supported.

any ideas would be much appreciated. thanx

The 256MB stick, is only being seen as 128MB (plus the other 64MB=192MB).
This is an addressing limitation of the chipset (not fixable in the BIOS).
This is why the manual lists the sizes it does. A double sided 256MB
module will work fine.

Best Wishes

Crucial.com will sell you the correct memory, via their database
of motherboards. That is where I got my 256MB sticks.

HTH,
Paul
Old November 19th 04, 10:35 PM
Paul

In article , Leomania
wrote:

Wrote: It appears that 256 single sided memory when

inerted only show a tolal
of 192 megs of mem (64 meg also added)...has anyonethis problem? did a
later bios upgrade correct it.

Roger is correct, the single-sided stick of memory uses PC133addressing,

not PC100. You require the latter type. This type of memoryis more
expensive, but as mentioned you can find an exact match for
yourmotherboard at several sites or you can buy used from a place like
Ebay.Just be sure it is double-sided, and that should work fine.

- Leo-- Leomania

Uh, the addressing has nothing to do with the speed. In many cases
now, the same chips are used to build PC100 and PC133 modules.

The addressing refers to the multiplexed address bus on the memory
chip. There is a row and a column address, and they take two
cycles to transfer to the memory chip. The Northbridge has a limited
number of address signals, and also has a limited set of address
patterns to use to drive the memory. The patterns I am referring to,
are which processor address bit, maps to which multiplexed addressed
signal.

(Page 107-108 440BX datasheet)
ftp://download.intel.com/design/chip...s/29063301.pdf

The chipset was never intended to drive 256MB modules, but there
does appear to be a mode that works. The thing is, there aren't
enough modes to cover all the ways of making a 256MB SDRAM module.
That is why some modules will work, and some will only have half of
their memory detected.

For example, I could stick 4x 16Mx16 memory chips on each side
of a memory module. It would be double sided, but it wouldn't work.
A double sided module with a total of (16) 16Mx8 chips appears to
work - and that is what I bought from Crucial for my P2B-S.

HTH,
Paul
Old November 20th 04, 01:15 AM
Leomania

Paul Wrote:
Uh, the addressing has nothing to do with the speed. In many cases now
the same chips are used to build PC100 and PC133 modules.

Hello Paul,

You're correct that the speed isn't pertinent, per se; I used to bu
double-sided PC133 memory (16 chips) that worked fine in PC10
applications. The single-sided 256MB DIMMs that I can recall seein
were exclusively PC133, although there are possibly some that weren't
The addressing difference was due to the use of the low-density vs
high-density memory chips, which in the 256MB category were th
difference between single-sided and dual-sided. I got bit once, learne
my lesson the hard way. ;-)

I have seen some specifically PC100 memory for sale the last fe
months, and perhaps those are indeed single-sided and just wire
differently on the DIMM. If so, it'll muddy the waters considerably fo
folks buying their memory in the used market.

Paul Wrote:
[snip] The chipset was never intended to drive 256MB modules, but ther
does appear to be a mode that works. The thing is, there aren't enoug
modes to cover all the ways of making a 256MB SDRAM module. That is wh
some modules will work, and some will only have half of their memor
detected.

For example, I could stick 4x 16Mx16 memory chips on each side of
memory module. It would be double sided, but it wouldn't work. A doubl
sided module with a total of (16) 16Mx8 chips appears to work - and tha
is what I bought from Crucial for my P2B-S.

You're correct, I should have specifically stated 16-chip double-side
DIMMs. I've never bought the 4-chip DIMMs but I know they have limite
compatibility.

Regards,

- Le

--
Leomania
Old November 20th 04, 01:25 AM
Barry Watzman

The manual is right. The chipset doesn't recognize high-density dram
parts of the type used (required) to make a 256 meg single sided module.