Any known USB issues with A7V266?

Old September 20th 04, 04:12 PM
Jag Man

Default Any known USB issues with A7V266?

I have an HP 3970 Scanjet scanner hooked to a USB port on my A7V266-E,
running Win98SE.
If I remove all three USB hubs with Device Manager and reboot, forcing their
reinstallation,
the scanner works fine. However, sooner or later it stops working. The HP
splash screen
appears on the desktop, then hangs. I have to kill the hpqkygrp program to
make the splash
go away. Only way to get the scanner working again is to once again
remove/reinstall the
hubs.

Is this a known issue? So far, I've been unsuccessful in getting help from
HP. Their online
support shows a lot of USB problems with some of their other scanners and
specific
hardware situatons, whic they always wind up blaming on the other stuff
rather than their
scanners, but I'm getting concerned that I got the wrong brand.

TIA

Ed

Old September 21st 04, 12:44 AM
notritenoteri

AS a quick guess I'd shoot Win98 and move on up to XP preferabley pro. If I
remember rightly and someone will no doubt know for sure but wasn't win98
kind of on the bleeding edge of USB drivers? I drove both Win 95 and Win
2000 and XP is a far superior product
. com...

Old September 21st 04, 03:31 AM
Jag Man

Thanks. One day I will do that, but I can't take the system down right now.
Besides, I'd sure feel foolish if I took the system down for a week
to install XP and reinstall all my software only to find my scanner still
didn't work.

Ed