modem install question

Old January 6th 04, 01:04 AM
Stephan

Default modem install question

Hey,

A family member just got a new computer, and forgot to get a modem, which
they need.

They tell me they took an old modem from an older computer and it does not
fit in any of the available slots.

Is there anything else other than a PCI modem? The older modem is 5 years
old, but still 56k. Should'nt it fit?

Are all modern computers using PCI modems?

Thanks!

Old January 6th 04, 02:13 AM
Ralph Mowery

A family member just got a new computer, and forgot to get a modem, which
they need.

They tell me they took an old modem from an older computer and it does not
fit in any of the available slots.

Is there anything else other than a PCI modem? The older modem is 5 years
old, but still 56k. Should'nt it fit?

Are all modern computers using PCI modems?

Most newer computers only have PCI slots for a modem if they do not use
their own riser type modem. Go to the sales papers and get a $ 15 to $ 20
modem that is often "free" after the rebate. With the faster computers the
Win modems work as well as most other modems. If it doesn't then you are
not out much.
There are external modems but then again you ahve to becareful that you have
an expternal port that will support them.

Old January 6th 04, 04:46 AM
JT

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 01:04:54 GMT, "Stephan" wrote:

Hey,

A family member just got a new computer, and forgot to get a modem, which
they need.

They tell me they took an old modem from an older computer and it does not
fit in any of the available slots.

Is there anything else other than a PCI modem? The older modem is 5 years
old, but still 56k. Should'nt it fit?

Are all modern computers using PCI modems?

Thanks!

Your older modem is probably ISA, an older standard. Won't fit. Get a new
modem. They're cheap right now

JT

Old January 6th 04, 09:21 AM
CBFalconer

JT wrote:
"Stephan" wrote:

A family member just got a new computer, and forgot to get a
modem, which they need.

They tell me they took an old modem from an older computer
and it does not fit in any of the available slots.

Is there anything else other than a PCI modem? The older modem
is 5 years old, but still 56k. Should'nt it fit?

Are all modern computers using PCI modems?

Your older modem is probably ISA, an older standard. Won't fit.
Get a new modem. They're cheap right now

You will have to search to avoid getting a winmodem (which will
become equally useless later). Better would have been to have
insisted on at least one ISA socket on the new machine. Best is a
serial port and external modem.

--
Chuck F ) )
http://cbfalconer.home.att.net USE worldnet address!

Old January 6th 04, 02:09 PM
JT

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 09:21:21 GMT, CBFalconer wrote:

JT wrote:
"Stephan" wrote:

A family member just got a new computer, and forgot to get a
modem, which they need.

They tell me they took an old modem from an older computer
and it does not fit in any of the available slots.

Is there anything else other than a PCI modem? The older modem
is 5 years old, but still 56k. Should'nt it fit?

Are all modern computers using PCI modems?

Your older modem is probably ISA, an older standard. Won't fit.
Get a new modem. They're cheap right now

You will have to search to avoid getting a winmodem (which will
become equally useless later). Better would have been to have
insisted on at least one ISA socket on the new machine. Best is a
serial port and external modem.

How many current motherboards have you seen with an ISA slot lately? I can
think of a couple, but they are rare and expensive. ISA is dead except for
embedded and industrial applications. Do you really recommend spending an
extra $100 to use a 5 year old modem?

Many of the current generation controlerless modems (winmodems) actually
work fine in a fast enough machine, even with Linux, although cheap ones
will always be a problem. Best solution is broadband, using a quality NIC,
and forget using an analog modem at all.

JT
Old January 6th 04, 07:13 PM
kony

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 14:09:30 GMT, JT datacare@www wrote:

How many current motherboards have you seen with an ISA slot lately? I can
think of a couple, but they are rare and expensive. ISA is dead except for
embedded and industrial applications. Do you really recommend spending an
extra $100 to use a 5 year old modem?

Many of the current generation controlerless modems (winmodems) actually
work fine in a fast enough machine, even with Linux, although cheap ones
will always be a problem. Best solution is broadband, using a quality NIC,
and forget using an analog modem at all.

JT

Kind of hard (or at least a PITA) to avoid the modem if you need to
fax a digital document, else even more expensive equipment is needed
or one of those fax-over-internet apps, also more expensive unless
there's something free I'm unaware of.

I keep hoping I'll find a resonably priced wifi router with serial
port, though untill the serial ports disappear I'm not all that
motivated to find one.

Old January 6th 04, 09:02 PM
Shep©

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 01:04:54 GMT In this world we created "Stephan"
wrote :

Hey,

A family member just got a new computer, and forgot to get a modem, which
they need.

They tell me they took an old modem from an older computer and it does not
fit in any of the available slots.

Is there anything else other than a PCI modem? The older modem is 5 years
old, but still 56k. Should'nt it fit?

Are all modern computers using PCI modems?

Thanks!

It will be an ISA modem.You can get cheap PCI modems.I use a cheap
semi-hardware HCF modem.Cost £10 ukp from a local computer market.Even
todays,"Winmodems" are OK for most users.
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de
Old January 6th 04, 09:58 PM
JT

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 19:13:58 GMT, kony wrote:

Kind of hard (or at least a PITA) to avoid the modem if you need to
fax a digital document, else even more expensive equipment is needed
or one of those fax-over-internet apps, also more expensive unless
there's something free I'm unaware of.

I keep hoping I'll find a resonably priced wifi router with serial
port, though untill the serial ports disappear I'm not all that
motivated to find one.

Any current modem, even the cheap ones, will do pretty good at faxing. With
email being so fast and mostly free, very little of my business
communication is fax anymore. Don't do any faxing for private stuff, and I
doubt many other people fax much that is not part of business. I find what
I need to fax is almost always a government form or some other piece of
paper that my all-in-one swiss-army printer handles just fine.

JT
Old January 7th 04, 12:53 AM
kony

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 21:58:34 GMT, JT datacare@www wrote:

[...]

They'll fax, but it's not the point, since they'll provide 'net access
too.. the same reasons to avoid a winmodem still apply. I fax and
receive requests for faxes all the time still, particularly when
purchase orders need signed. Sometimes it's easier to just accomodate
whoever you're working with than try to change their ways about
document exchange.

I don't have too much against winmodems though, they work fine when I
need them though it is only occasionally with broadband and home &
work.

Modem - dial tone broken up, but voice ok Zardoz General 1 January 5th 04 02:06 AM
Split Cable Modem Line For TV Tuner? *Vanguard* General 3 November 23rd 03 11:14 PM
Dialup Modem Question Carl R General 6 November 13th 03 04:44 PM
Dial up modem problem Richard Freeman General 21 September 22nd 03 05:50 AM
No Boot After Modem Install Steven J General 2 July 12th 03 08:55 AM