Advice Please: Building Simple "Back-up" System

Old December 18th 03, 03:10 AM
Darren Harris

Default Advice Please: Building Simple "Back-up" System

I'm going to attempt to put together a system that will use a
mirroring application for backing up.

The system will have three drives of equal size in the main case.(And
if I go SCSI, three more in an external case will be used for less
important data storage). The main three will all start out as
identical, with the operating system and the needed software
installed.

From there, the "E" drive will remain untouched for the most part
except on those rare occasions where a new app will need be installed,
but only after it has been used for a while on my main working "C"
drive.

However, the "C" drive will be mirrored to the "D" drive on a weekly
basis.

So, basically, all my work will be done on the "C" drive, with
occasional back-ups to the "D" drive. And "E" will only be used to to
bring the "C" drive back to it's original state in case anything goes
seriously wrong.

Question #1: Whether on or off the internet, will Windows normally
write to drives "D" and "E", even though I'm doing all my work on "C"?

Question #2: If so, can this be stopped? Will it require having the
ability to power down drives "D" and "E", even when the system is on?
And is this possible if all drives are in the same case?

Question 3: Can I get recommendations on which mirroring app is best
for what I want to do? I've narrowed it down to "Drive Image", and
"True Image", but are there any programs like these that can be run
from a floppy or CD, without having to install anything?

P.S.: I have some RAID hardware, but I realized that complexity makes
RAID a non-option. So since I already have SCSI hardware, I just may
stick with that.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Multi-boot Windows XP without special software Timothy Daniels General 11 December 12th 03 06:38 AM
Couple of questions on building a P4 system... jtpr General 6 September 24th 03 04:57 PM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan General 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
Opnion about buying vs building desktop system Joseph General 3 August 29th 03 02:45 AM
newbie - advice for CAD translation system Talha General 1 August 28th 03 03:50 PM