Which TFT for movies and games?

Old February 11th 05, 05:17 PM
Yaro

Default Which TFT for movies and games?

Are there any good 19" TFT's that can be used for this purpose?

I've heard something about Viewsonic working with 12ms delay,

LG L1915S and CTX F973L with 12ms as well. I'm just wandering if

this 12 ms delay wasn't achieved by drop of quality at the same time.

Does anyone know something more about this monitors and would

like to give me some advise about which one to choose?

Yaro

Old February 11th 05, 07:14 PM
Mr Digital

I have an 18" Sony SDSM81 TFT. I don't know the specs but i use it for many
games & it performs very well indeed.

Old February 14th 05, 04:28 PM

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:17:11 -0000, "Yaro"
wrote:

Are there any good 19" TFT's that can be used for this purpose?

I've heard something about Viewsonic working with 12ms delay,

LG L1915S and CTX F973L with 12ms as well. I'm just wandering if

this 12 ms delay wasn't achieved by drop of quality at the same time.

Does anyone know something more about this monitors and would

like to give me some advise about which one to choose?

Yaro

That seems like a bigger issue at some Euro sites they seem a lot more
obsessed with 6 bit screens that have lower reponse times vs 25 ms 8
bit panels.

You generally can tell cause the 8 bit panels say 16, 7 mil colors
while 6 bit says 16,2 mil. The problem is many companies will leave
this number out intentionally or unintentionally I dont know and then
sellers seem to assume all panels are 16,7 cause most probably were.

I think there are slight varations too I think Samsung came out with
slightly faster 23 ms 8 bit panel. Im not aware of any 8 bit 16 ms
panels etc but then they dont really talk about it alot here except in
bits and pieces here and there. Id like to know if there are.

Im sure not all 6 bit panels are created equally so there might be
some that do a much better job at dithering the colors who knows.
They always say LCDs are all about compromises so sure you probably do
get worse aspects like contrast ratios possibly and viewing angles
though the specs claimed seemed to be getting better and better on the
less than 25 ms panels though how meaningly they are I dont know. In
general though all panels look much better than they did a few years
ago --- at least that my impression. Ive seen some people actually
take snapshots on the net and show comparisons. Ive also seen
neighbors units and the ones they bought years ago tend to look more
washed out and weird. Almost all the newer ones even the generic ones
look pretty good now at least after a casual look. I dont know about
detailed analysis of the screens --- how accurate all the colors are
etc as they say LCDs tend to have problem areas still so they arent
perfect but most people seem to overlook these and seem pretty happy
with them.

The reviews Ive seen also tend to be very erratic online even at pro
sites,

I dont know if its the case that the response times arent as important
as some think and that its better to get a good 25 ms 8 bit panel with
the most accurate colors and that some 25 ms can be decent for games (
some have claimed this) or a better compromise is a very good sub 25
ms fast panel 6 bit .

Old February 15th 05, 11:48 PM
Yaro

I'm just wandering where are the screens that were supposed to

be made of semi-conductor diodes. The blue one that was missing

for so long was developed quite a few years ago, so all the needed

technology is there.

Yaro

Old February 16th 05, 03:57 PM
Gerard Bok

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 23:48:34 -0000, "Yaro"
wrote:

I'm just wandering where are the screens that were supposed to
be made of semi-conductor diodes. The blue one that was missing
for so long was developed quite a few years ago, so all the needed
technology is there.

It is not just the blue color missing :-)
You will start seeing OLed displays as soon as they are either
cheaper to produce than TFT or offer a distinct extra over TFT
:-)

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

Some games crash XP Home, some don't? Mother Farquhar Overclocking AMD Processors 2 January 23rd 05 09:36 PM
Computer hangs when playing games [email protected] General 0 December 31st 04 09:48 AM
Optical mice and games DJS0302 General 6 October 17th 04 09:45 PM
PC hardware upgrade advice for kids games sarahandchris Overclocking 3 November 16th 03 11:53 PM
Games PC Upgrade - suggestions wanted trappeduser Homebuilt PC's 4 July 27th 03 04:38 PM