Zebra printer newbie seeking label help

Old January 5th 13, 08:28 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Howard S Shubs

Default Zebra printer newbie seeking label help

I bought a Zebra GX420t to print mailing labels. I'm having a heck of a
time figuring out which mailing labels to get and how to get them. So
far, I've got a box of fan fold labels with ribbon, which won't work
'cause the ribbon isn't in spec. I'll at least attempt to return the
box.

So I'm searching both Zebra Technologies and Staples for appropriate
labels. I decided to use direct thermal printing, as there's no ribbon
and I'm told the results last plenty long enough to get the job done.
Fine so far.

The only results I'm finding have a 3" core and 8" outside diameter. The
printer can only hold up to 5" outside diameter. I'm now thinking I
need to speak with ZebraTechnologies to figure this out. It seems to me
the printer could use that roll if I use some kind of external roll
holder. Again, need to speak with ZT to figure it out. The web sites
I've checked are inconclusive.

Anyone already worked with this kind of thing and know something which
will help?

--
May joy be yours all the days of your life! - Phina
We are but a moment's sunlight, fading in the grass. - The Youngbloods
Old January 5th 13, 01:33 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David H. Lipman

From: "Howard S Shubs"

[...]

Why didn't you gets a COTS label printer such as Dymo and Brother?

http://www.zebra.com/us/en/products-...it=g-series-gx

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Old January 5th 13, 11:47 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Howard S Shubs

In article ,
"David H. Lipman" wrote:

Why didn't you gets a COTS label printer such as Dymo and Brother?

Not as easily programmed, from what I've gathered.

Old January 6th 13, 01:30 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David H. Lipman

From: "Howard S Shubs"

In article ,
"David H. Lipman" wrote:

Why didn't you gets a COTS label printer such as Dymo and Brother?

Not as easily programmed, from what I've gathered.

That doesn't make much sense. The COTS Brother and Dymo have third party software and
paper product support while Zebra doesn't and I believe the zebra products cost more.

Are you using the Zebra products in a buiness and/or POS role ?

Old January 6th 13, 07:16 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Howard S Shubs

In article ,
"David H. Lipman" wrote:

That doesn't make much sense. The COTS Brother and Dymo have third
party software and paper product support while Zebra doesn't and I
believe the zebra products cost more.

Great, do their software products work as a callable library on Linux?
I don't think so.

Are you using the Zebra products in a buiness and/or POS role ?

Yes.

Old January 6th 13, 07:50 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Howard S Shubs

In article
,
Howard S Shubs wrote:

In article ,
"David H. Lipman" wrote:

That doesn't make much sense. The COTS Brother and Dymo have third
party software and paper product support while Zebra doesn't and I
believe the zebra products cost more.

Great, do their software products work as a callable library on Linux?
I don't think so.

Let me clarify a bit, though it doesn't really matter. I bought the
printer used on eBay for about half its "new" price. I was only asking
about the label media for it, as the purchase is complete. Why buy new?

I didn't want to fool with USB, so this printer is plugged into my
network, which was one of my requirements. Other makes didn't have this
option, or didn't have the programmability I needed. If the printer
language isn't documented, I can't use it. The Zebra printer's
programming method is well documented, so I went with it. Often, you
get what you pay for. It certainly seems to be the case here. :-)

Given that I've been programming in raw PostScript, which is fun!,
programming another printer in its native programming language doesn't
bother me, as long as I don't have to reverse-engineer the language.

The answer to my question seems to be Zebra 10010043, a 3"(W) x 1"(H)
direct thermal label product. At least, I *think* that's the width and
height. I'm hoping it's not reversed from that! It's on NewEgg for
$63.19/case of 6 rolls with 2340 labels per roll, for 14040 labels total.

Old January 7th 13, 01:06 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
David H. Lipman

From: "Howard S Shubs"

In article
,
Howard S Shubs wrote:

In article ,
"David H. Lipman" wrote:

[...]

I can't speak for Linux support 'cause I don't support it. The COTS
manufacturers may not support Linux too well so i can understand that as an
issue.

However, USB limited printers are not a limiting factor. I have
successfully networked Dymo and Brother devices using HP JetDirect 310x
Print Servers (albeit the clients were Windows not Linux computers).

Old January 7th 13, 02:02 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Howard S Shubs

In article ,
"David H. Lipman" wrote:

I can't speak for Linux support 'cause I don't support it. The COTS
manufacturers may not support Linux too well so i can understand that as an
issue.

However, USB limited printers are not a limiting factor. I have
successfully networked Dymo and Brother devices using HP JetDirect 310x
Print Servers (albeit the clients were Windows not Linux computers).

I'm not concerned, yet, with communicating with the beast. Until I can
provide it with some kind of stock, it refuses to speak with me at all.
There's no guarantee it works, since I got it from eBay, but I've got to
be hopeful.

I hadn't thought of an external print server, I admit. My main issue
was how to get stock for it, and I think I've solved that now. :-)