Prolinea setup

Old January 17th 04, 11:01 AM
Emmanuel

Default Prolinea setup

Morning'

On wich I have to push and when , to get setup on my prolinea 4/66 ?
Which HD Type in the setup I have to declare for getting my cdrom drive ?

--
Emmanuel - http://ebgy.free.fr

Old January 17th 04, 11:09 AM
Emmanuel

Emmanuel a écrit :

Morning'

On wich I have to push and when , to get setup on my prolinea 4/66 ?
Which HD Type in the setup I have to declare for getting my cdrom drive ?

OK , Key F10.
What about CDROM config please ?

--
Emmanuel - http://ebgy.free.fr

Old January 17th 04, 05:42 PM
DEJ57

OK , Key F10.
What about CDROM config please

Its been my experience you find nothing in the BOIS on Compaqs about the CDROM.
Its auto-configure. But if I remember correctly some of these older 486
Compaqs were somewhat challenging to get CDROMS to work in, as they need a
model specific CDROM driver match to a particular Compaq CDROM. For your sake
I hope I remember wrong. It may be that if you can get an OS installed without
the CDROM that, once installed, the OS will see it an access it....

Dale
Old January 18th 04, 06:23 PM
Emmanuel

DEJ57 a écrit :
OK , Key F10.
What about CDROM config please

Its been my experience you find nothing in the BOIS on Compaqs about the CDROM.
Its auto-configure. But if I remember correctly some of these older 486
Compaqs were somewhat challenging to get CDROMS to work in, as they need a
model specific CDROM driver match to a particular Compaq CDROM. For your sake
I hope I remember wrong. It may be that if you can get an OS installed without
the CDROM that, once installed, the OS will see it an access it....

Dale

The CDROM must be in master/slave or nothing ?

--
Emmanuel - http://ebgy.free.fr
Pour convaincre, la vérité ne peut suffire - Asimov

Old January 18th 04, 11:50 PM
DEJ57

Compaq normally uses Cable Select, so both would normally be jumpered CS. But
if you replace the data cable with a newer one, its likely a standard IDE data
cable and then the HDD would be master and the CDROM slave. Unless you have
two channels, which I doubt on that unit, then they'd likely be on different
channels and each master on the channel....Dale
Old January 19th 04, 03:38 AM
DEJ57

Unless you have
two channels, which I doubt on that unit, then they'd likely be on different
channels and each master on the channel

Or CS for both on each channel
Old January 19th 04, 09:17 PM
Emmanuel

DEJ57 a écrit :

Unless you have
two channels, which I doubt on that unit, then they'd likely be on different
channels and each master on the channel

Or CS for both on each channel

What do you mean by CS? (S like slave ?)
I have wires with two plugs on it:
one for HD master (boot) , the other for CDROM.

I've just changed my x40 CDROM to x8.
It worked before I did the change .....

--
Emmanuel - http://ebgy.free.fr

Old January 19th 04, 09:47 PM
DEJ57

What do you mean by CS? (S like slave ?)

CS is Cable Select

I have wires with two plugs on it:
one for HD master (boot) , the other for CDROM.

That might not really tell us anything, even if marked with those words.
Except that you are installing on the same channel. Either they are jumped
master and slave or both CS.

I've just changed my x40 CDROM to x8.
It worked before I did the change

40x to 8x? Either the 8x is not jumpered correctly or the driver is not
appropriate. Have you tried the 40x in it again to see if it still works?
100% sure the 8x works?

Dale