Ebuyer - different prices to different customers?

Old April 18th 04, 05:23 PM
tHatDudeUK

Default Ebuyer - different prices to different customers?

"Meg A Hurtz" wrote in message
Does Ebuyer charge different prices to different customers for the
same items?

It keeps coming up with offers for things I have been viewing that
I wonder if it lowers the price because I didn't buy it after
looking.

They change their prices everyso often. Possibly daily, to reflect changes
in the prices for them or possibly the number of sales of each item.

I doubt they do dynamic pricing like you describe though.

Old April 18th 04, 07:12 PM
Johannes H Andersen

tHatDudeUK wrote:

"Meg A Hurtz" wrote in message
Does Ebuyer charge different prices to different customers for the
same items?

It keeps coming up with offers for things I have been viewing that
I wonder if it lowers the price because I didn't buy it after
looking.

They change their prices everyso often. Possibly daily, to reflect changes
in the prices for them or possibly the number of sales of each item.

I doubt they do dynamic pricing like you describe though.

Hehe, dynamic pricing was tried by Amazon. Here is from a site I found
at Business 2.0 November 2000

"Unfortunately, those Old Economy business practices may be adopted by New
Economy organizations. Amazon.com, for one, has recently sold the same
movie DVDs for different prices to different customers. One buyer could
pay up to $15 more than another for the same DVD, even if they placed their
orders at the same time. Here's the ironic part: The people paying the
highest prices were long-time Amazon customers. One user discovered Amazon's
game when he stripped his browser of the cookies, or electronic tags, that
identified him to Amazon as a regular visitor. On his next visit, the price
of the DVD fell"

Read more at http://www.business2.com/b2/web/arti...528427,00.html
Old April 19th 04, 12:20 AM
Chesney Christ

X-No-Archive:yes

A certain Johannes H Andersen, of uk.comp.vendors "fame", writes :

"Unfortunately, those Old Economy business practices may be adopted by New
Economy organizations. Amazon.com, for one, has recently sold the same
movie DVDs for different prices to different customers. One buyer could
pay up to $15 more than another for the same DVD, even if they placed their
orders at the same time. Here's the ironic part: The people paying the
highest prices were long-time Amazon customers. One user discovered Amazon's
game when he stripped his browser of the cookies, or electronic tags, that
identified him to Amazon as a regular visitor. On his next visit, the price
of the DVD fell"

Read more at http://www.business2.com/b2/web/arti...528427,00.html

Amazon are still doing something like this. I pre-ordered a DVD (due to
be released at the end of this month) among a bunch of other things a
couple of weeks ago, and found recently that they dropped the price on
it. Spookily, when I deleted the item from the open order and re-added
it, it was maintained at the old (high) price - so their system was
obviously designed to spot people doing what I'd tried to do. I had to
actually cancel the order completely and reorder from scratch to get the
reduction.

--

"Jokes mentioning ducks were considered particularly funny." - cnn.com

Old April 19th 04, 08:34 AM
Bagpuss

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 00:20:20 +0100, Chesney Christ
wrote:

[...]

Oen they did to me was to reduce the price (on a pre-ordered) after I
had the item delivered (something like the day after the release it
dropped in price). The nice thing was I got an email saying they were
going to credit me with the difference so I only paid the new price
which was rather nice of them. They didn't need to do that but its one
of those good customer service things that keeps people comming back.
Old April 19th 04, 07:09 PM
des

Oen they did to me was to reduce the price (on a pre-ordered) after I
had the item delivered (something like the day after the release it
dropped in price). The nice thing was I got an email saying they were
going to credit me with the difference so I only paid the new price
which was rather nice of them. They didn't need to do that but its one
of those good customer service things that keeps people comming back.

This happened to me recently, I thought it was a wind up untill the credit
appeared on my card.

Can`t see HMV/Virgin and so on doing the same next time I go into their
shop.

Des.

Old April 20th 04, 12:02 AM
Chesney Christ

X-No-Archive:yes

A certain Bagpuss, of uk.comp.vendors "fame", writes :

Oen they did to me was to reduce the price (on a pre-ordered) after I
had the item delivered (something like the day after the release it
dropped in price). The nice thing was I got an email saying they were
going to credit me with the difference so I only paid the new price
which was rather nice of them. They didn't need to do that but its one
of those good customer service things that keeps people comming back.

They seem to be positioning themselves as a serious competitive force.
I've found computer kit on there, if they stock it, to be typically
cheaper than DABS and have free postage (DABS premium to Northern
Ireland is steep). I bought a Linksys WRT54G on Sunday from them, £7
cheaper than DABS, got an email first thing Monday morning to say it had
been dispatched.

--

"Jokes mentioning ducks were considered particularly funny." - cnn.com

Old April 20th 04, 08:26 AM
Bagpuss

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 00:02:16 +0100, Chesney Christ
wrote:

X-No-Archive:yes

A certain Bagpuss, of uk.comp.vendors "fame", writes :

Oen they did to me was to reduce the price (on a pre-ordered) after I
had the item delivered (something like the day after the release it
dropped in price). The nice thing was I got an email saying they were
going to credit me with the difference so I only paid the new price
which was rather nice of them. They didn't need to do that but its one
of those good customer service things that keeps people comming back.

They seem to be positioning themselves as a serious competitive force.
I've found computer kit on there, if they stock it, to be typically
cheaper than DABS and have free postage (DABS premium to Northern
Ireland is steep).

Cheaper than DABS isn't too hard. PC World do that on quite a few
items :-)

I bought a Linksys WRT54G on Sunday from them, £7
cheaper than DABS, got an email first thing Monday morning to say it had
been dispatched.

I usually go to www.stak.com although I pick up and return by hand.
Never had any bad service off them and although I know of people who
have had horror stories in the past.