Is xp Pro dual xeon faster with hyperthreading enabled?

Old September 9th 04, 03:01 PM
Bob Haase

Default Is xp Pro dual xeon faster with hyperthreading enabled?

Hi,

I have a dual Xeon Windows XP Pro machine with hyperthreading enabled. I
run an application that is specifically designed to run on a dual processor
machine. When I run the application and look at the performance graphs in
the task manager, it says I'm only using 50% of my cpu resources. This
seems like a waste of system resources to me, but I'm so confused about real
and virtual processors that I really don't know.

My computer runs on this software can take over a week to run, so I'd like
to make sure this babys crankin as fast as it will go. If anyone can help
me I'd be very grateful!

thanks,
Bob

Old September 10th 04, 07:56 PM
Mike Walsh

The test results I have read show a significant improvement (10% to 15%) with 1 MB or more L2 cache. With 512 KB cache the performance increase is less or there can be a slight performance decrease, depending on the applications.

--

When replying by Email include NewSGrouP (case sensitive) in Subject

Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

Dual Xeon mainboard error beep? michel General 2 July 19th 04 04:27 PM
Dual Xeon or Opteron? Shabam General 0 July 19th 04 01:27 AM
Mad Hatter Has Some Xeon Questions! Onideus Mad Hatter General 17 April 9th 04 06:51 PM
Valid Points 101: 2x P4 Xeons + Hyperthreading + Windows XP Professional / W2K / NT4 / *Nix (long post!) Duncan, Eric A. General 7 February 3rd 04 05:06 PM
Mushkin PC3200 1Gb Dual Packs from Fry's DW General 3 September 24th 03 10:37 AM