Why this intensive Winlogon activity?

Old March 22nd 07, 08:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
johns

Default Why this intensive Winlogon activity?

If you followed my recent post on how responsible
and friendly nVidia tech support is, you might do
well to drop back to one of the 8x drivers for your
card. The 9x drivers are broke and unstable .. all
of them. I suspect that driver is not able to properly
configure for your older card. I think the last good
driver nVidia wrote was the 81.98 driver. It is very
stable.

johns

Old March 23rd 07, 06:12 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Terry Pinnell wrote:

Very much appreciate any further suggestions please.

Memtest86, Prime95. You are also outside the scope of this newsgroup,
not that that matters much; we agree that this has nothing to do with
your video card.
Old March 23rd 07, 02:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
rmd[_2_]

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 16:48:07 +0000, Terry Pinnell

I'll swap the RAM and report back. Now getting desperate!

[This reply may be duplicated - PC crashed at a critical time.]

I swapped the RAM, but still no joy! Have replaced the 1 GB.

General consensus on swap file seems to be to let XP manage it, and
that's what I've done.

I have lots of stuff in Startup, if that's what you mean by
'autoruns', but none of it is new. But I will try a relatively 'clean'
startup just to check.

Filemon doesn't seem to be much help in this case.

Note that if I search for an entry like 'jasc', regedit finds me
scores of them (I have JASC Paintshop Pro 8) as usual, going well
beyond a minute or so before I close. But searching for say 'win31',
crashes every time.

Very much appreciate any further suggestions please.

try run msconfig

Then pick selective startup, and untick load system services and
load startup items

If it still does lots of things on boot up you have excluded a lot of
possible processes that are doing it.

Also I would set your swap file min and max the same so it is
permanent.

Also get rid of file indexing/search indexing processes that windows
uses or addon ones that ms office often adds.

There is too much blood in my alcohol system
Old March 23rd 07, 04:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Terry Pinnell

"johns" wrote:

If you followed my recent post on how responsible
and friendly nVidia tech support is, you might do
well to drop back to one of the 8x drivers for your
card. The 9x drivers are broke and unstable .. all
of them. I suspect that driver is not able to properly
configure for your older card. I think the last good
driver nVidia wrote was the 81.98 driver. It is very
stable.

johns

Darn - that's the one I upgrade from! I assumed it must be hopelessly
outdone by newer versions...

And elsewhere I've even just been advised to "switch back to the very
stable 45.23 version driver. The newest drivers are primarily designed
with the newer, far more powerful cards in mind."

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
Old March 23rd 07, 04:37 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Terry Pinnell

"Mr.E Solved!" wrote:

Terry Pinnell wrote:

Very much appreciate any further suggestions please.

Memtest86, Prime95. You are also outside the scope of this newsgroup,
not that that matters much; we agree that this has nothing to do with
your video card.

So under what other circumstances are you saying this 10 mins of
Winlogon activity would also occur? I don't get it on a simple reboot,
or after installing new programs. The *only* time it's occurred was as
I described, directly after updating my nvidia driver. And even that
didn't happen until I moved up from 81.98 to 93.71.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK