Why Flip Panel Ports at Bottom???

Old June 19th 05, 08:47 PM
Kevin K Fosler

Default Why Flip Panel Ports at Bottom???

I don't mean to be critical, but I am wondering why the front USB and
headphone jack are under a flip cover at the bottom of the case (in my
8400 and others).

Am I missing something? It seems to be a design problem. Whenever I
need to use them, I have to lay on the floor with a flashlight trying
to plug things in.

Kevin
Old June 19th 05, 09:00 PM
S.Lewis

"Kevin K Fosler" wrote in message
I don't mean to be critical, but I am wondering why the front USB and
headphone jack are under a flip cover at the bottom of the case (in my
8400 and others).

Am I missing something? It seems to be a design problem. Whenever I
need to use them, I have to lay on the floor with a flashlight trying
to plug things in.

Kevin

Poorly thought out design that's existed since the Dimension 4300 with the
inception of the hinged case.

I have two of these same (chassis type) systems here and I agree.

They took care of that with the Dim4600newer mid-level cases, and now the
new 9100's also don't have the problem.

Stew

Old June 19th 05, 09:05 PM
Silverado

I agree, it is a nuisance. I got tired of using a flash light. To solve
it, I bought a 4 port USB router and routed it to my desktop. Now I can
plug USB in at my desk level.

Old June 19th 05, 09:19 PM
Kevin

Because these computers are called "desktops" they are designed to be placed
on the top of a desk. Thus the ports you mention would be readily
accessible.

Old June 19th 05, 09:30 PM
Tom Scales

They're towers! Who puts a tower on the desk? They go on the floor and the
design is incredibly stupid. Even the 2400 has a better design.

Tom

Old June 19th 05, 09:32 PM
Notan

Kevin wrote:

Because these computers are called "desktops" they are designed to be placed
on the top of a desk. Thus the ports you mention would be readily
accessible.

The term "desktop" is a bit of a throwback to the days of yesteryear.

Most of the earlier desktops were built for horizontal installation,
to be placed underneath the monitor.

With the advent of (mini) towers, people started placing them on the
floor.

Notan
Old June 19th 05, 11:05 PM
Stubby

Tom Scales wrote:
They're towers! Who puts a tower on the desk? They go on the floor and the
design is incredibly stupid. Even the 2400 has a better design.

Tom

Where is it written that a tower MUST go on the floor?

I put my 8400 tower on top of my desk. I can reach all the front ports
and drives without effort. I also don't need to worry about the fans
sucking in nearly as much dust, cat fur, and other nasties.

My daughter put her 2400 on the floor, she can't reach the front panel
ports, the CD drive is a bit of a reach, and I have to open it up and
clean the dust bunnies out of it every 60 days or so.
Old June 19th 05, 11:50 PM
Tom Scales

"Stubby" wrote in message
. net...
Tom Scales wrote:
They're towers! Who puts a tower on the desk? They go on the floor and
the design is incredibly stupid. Even the 2400 has a better design.

Tom

Where is it written that a tower MUST go on the floor?

I put my 8400 tower on top of my desk. I can reach all the front ports and
drives without effort. I also don't need to worry about the fans sucking
in nearly as much dust, cat fur, and other nasties.

My daughter put her 2400 on the floor, she can't reach the front panel
ports, the CD drive is a bit of a reach, and I have to open it up and
clean the dust bunnies out of it every 60 days or so.

I didn't say Has To, just that I believe Most people put it on the floor.
I'm not willing to give up the desk space. Heck, there's three computers
under the desk and two laptops on it!

Tom

Old June 20th 05, 12:01 AM
Notan

Tom Scales wrote:

"Stubby" wrote in message
. net...
Tom Scales wrote:
They're towers! Who puts a tower on the desk? They go on the floor and
the design is incredibly stupid. Even the 2400 has a better design.

Tom

Where is it written that a tower MUST go on the floor?

I put my 8400 tower on top of my desk. I can reach all the front ports and
drives without effort. I also don't need to worry about the fans sucking
in nearly as much dust, cat fur, and other nasties.

My daughter put her 2400 on the floor, she can't reach the front panel
ports, the CD drive is a bit of a reach, and I have to open it up and
clean the dust bunnies out of it every 60 days or so.

I didn't say Has To, just that I believe Most people put it on the floor.
I'm not willing to give up the desk space. Heck, there's three computers
under the desk and two laptops on it!

Fan noise, alone, is a good enough reason to make most desktops, floortops!

Notan
Old June 20th 05, 02:26 AM
Sparky Spartacus

Kevin wrote:

Because these computers are called "desktops" they are designed to be placed
on the top of a desk. Thus the ports you mention would be readily
accessible.

You mean the "mini towers"? Never seen one of them on top of a desk
(which doesn't mean no one has theirs on top of their desk, of course).