Asus P9X79 four short beeps

Old May 4th 18, 03:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bill Anderson

Default Asus P9X79 four short beeps

On 5/3/2018 7:34 PM, Bill Anderson wrote:
On 5/3/2018 12:15 AM, Paul wrote:
Bill Anderson wrote:
Forgot to mention I ran Memtest on all 32 gigs for six hours last
night and there were no errors.

So it's probably not the RAM itself.

Something about the processor and its built-in memory
controller. Or the voltage regulators that power the
various parts there.

¬*¬*¬* Paul

I think you put me on the right path in your previous message, Paul, and
once again I thank you.¬* I've adjusted things in BIOS and reinstalled
all four RAM sticks and I'm showing 32 gigs of healthy memory and the
system has been booting flawlessly from shut-down state.¬* All I did was
go to the memory adjustments in BIOS and try to make everything as
untweaked as possible.¬* Here's how things look now:

https://goo.gl/D3x3L7

All this overclocking tweaking stuff is too much for me to even want to
figure out.¬* I do remember a few years back trying to tweak timings and
so forth, based on advice I'd either read on the internet or that you'd
given me.¬* I just don't remember.¬* Whatever, It had all been working
fine up until recently and I'd given it no more thought.¬* Something must
have goosed BIOS, I dunno.¬* It certainly wasn't me.¬* Maybe now I can
stop thinking about it again.

Of course things may all go south any time, but right now I'm feeling
pretty good about my current setup and I've stopped looking at the
latest and greatest Asus motherboards and Intel i7 processors.¬* Boy, you
can spend a lot of money on that stuff...

Thanks again.

And within 20 minutes of posting that I was back to the four beeps
again. I'm tired of this. My current build will be six years old in
September. It's time.

First step is an inventory of everything I have hanging off the P9X79.
I'll want to use as much of it as possible. But maybe my new MBO could
have more SATA III ports than the P9X79? I've had to get a PCIE card to
give me more SATA III ports. And I'd like USB3 internal blocks for USB
ports on the front of my case.

And I'd like to keep using my NZXT Kraken X61 RL-KRX61-01 liquid CPU
cooler, but apparently the only Intel processors it supports are 2011
/1366 /1156 /1155 /1150. Maybe there's an adapter. If not, I'll have to
get a new cooler, and I like the Kraken so much -- it's quiet and solved
my overheating problem -- I'll probably want to get one that fits
whatever new processor I come up with.

Let's see what I have in each of the P9X79's slots:

PCIEX16_1 slot
Silverstone PCI Express Card with USB 3.0 Internal Connector
Shouldn't need this if new MBO has internal USB 3.0 connection for front
panel

PCIEX1_1 slot
Hauppauge Colossus video capture card
I'll need this in the new build

PCIEX1_2 slot
ATI Theater 650 Video Card
It's a TV tuner card I'm no longer using. Guess I oughta pull it out.

PCIEX16_2 slot
GEFORCE GTX970 Video Card

PCI1 slot
Unoccupied as the video card covers it up

PCIEX16_3
StarTech 2 Port SATA 6 Gbps PCI Express SATA Controller Card
Shouldn't need this in new build if the MBO has plenty of SATA6 ports.

So what to get? This looks good, but expensive, ASUS PRIME X299-DELUXE
https://goo.gl/iWZhQY
It's got seven SATA 6 ports and it has one USB 3.1 Gen 2 front panel
connector port. Plus lots more USB.

It'll work with this processor, i7 Core X
https://goo.gl/kagSsV

And of course there's RAM. I'm thinking my 32 gigs of DDR3 was
overkill. Maybe 16 gigs for this one? A couple of these Corsair
Vengeance sticks?
https://goo.gl/NmfLRT

I want power for video editing, not so much for gaming, though the
Oculus Prime VR device looked interesting and I was disappointed when I
ran the routine to check my P9X79 and I learned I didn't have a
processor powerful enough. It's an i7 for heaven's sake!

I confess I'm at a loss about what I should do. I wouldn't even be
thinking about a new build if my P9X79 were dependable, but it's going
flaky and I don't want to mess around with it. I want a computer that
works.

Other ideas?

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog
Old May 4th 18, 05:58 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul[_28_]

Bill Anderson wrote:
On 5/3/2018 12:15 AM, Paul wrote:
Bill Anderson wrote:
[...]

Scroll down a bit further and check the other values ?

https://s18.postimg.cc/d2udxby2h/my_machine_p9x79.gif

Paul
Old May 5th 18, 07:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul[_28_]

Bill Anderson wrote:
On 5/4/2018 1:23 AM, Paul wrote:

LGA2066 4 channel

X299 LGA2066 V1 via DMI V3 Lane
2066 Core i9 i9-7900X(U0) Skylake-X 3.3GHz 13.75MB 140W 44
*******
RAMCH PCIE AVX512
i9-7900X (13.75M cache, 10 Cores, 20 Threads, 3.30 GHz) $ 989 4 44

I'm curious what you think of the "high-end" build on this page.
https://www.custompcreview.com/compu...ing-pc-builds/

It uses the Asus MBO I like and the i97900X you show above is "only"
$899.99 at Newegg. The killer for me is the price of the RAM. If I go
this route I'll probably start with a quarter, possibly half the RAM
recommended. But I'm thinking seriously about purchasing the MBO and
CPU they recommend, some of the RAM, and whatever else I need from the
rest.

This would be expensive. And what makes it worse is that my current
system is behaving itself most of the time today. Don't know how long
that will last, though.

Thoughts?

CPU Intel Core i9-7900X ~$989 4 channel CPU, use 4 DIMMs minimum
Motherboard ASUS PRIME X299-Deluxe LGA 2066 as you'd expect, $$$
Memory 64GB Kingston HyperX FURY 2133MHz (4x16GB) Kit === could replace with 4x4GB DIMMs
GPU PNY Nvidia Quadro P6000 24GB ~$4500.00 !!! === certified OpenGL support $$$
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D
Boot Drive Samsung 850 PRO 1TB SSD === probably the last 850 Pro (MLC) still in stock, 256/512 gone
Storage Drive Western Digital Caviar Black 4TB
Optical Drive ASUS Blu-Ray Writer
PSU EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G3
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i v2
Operating System Windows 10 Home 64-Bit === Cheapskates! This should use Pro.

That video card choice totally swamps out any notion of "cost savings".

I generally try to track down what the "desktop" equivalent of
the card is. In this case, it would be a Titan X (~$1200 original price).
The difference is, the "certified OpenGL support" is for CAD software, and the
card ends up with "business" pricing to go along with the
"professional" creds of the card. The Titan X also has half
the VRAM, but really "12GB is the same as 24GB" for all except
the most extreme applications. SimCity doesn't need 12GB.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-q...ng-benchmarks/

If you were Bill Gates, that would be a great system.

So when I click the button, it goes to Amazon, and is "sans video card" ???
If so, you'd probably want to do a few edits in the parts list.

The motherboard is $500 class.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2E16813132990R

You could go crazy with the RAM in terms of speed... but read the reviews.

G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 $257

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820231980

Pros: Looks nice.

Cons: Did not hold stock clocks or timings.

When it would hold them, it required such High VSA and VCCIO
that the CPU was under threat.

Would only load past the windows logo once every 10+ boots
during these moments of testing.

Spreaders conflict with larger, say 135mm, CPU heatsink fans.

Your build is using a water cooler for the CPU, so it doesn't
matter how tall the heat spreaders are. The hose barbs and
tubing have to be routed so they don't conflict with
RAM or something.

These other ones, the five reviews seem to be better for some
reason, perhaps because they were testing with a different
CPU type ? It's hard to find ordinary DIMMs that actually
claim to be tested with X299 (for whatever that is worth -
the machine should really work with any DDR4 you select).
The reason for selecting this, is the hope the XMP profile
works to save on the need for "tuning".

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16820231907 $238.99

This is easily a $2000 build, just quickly doing a few sums
in my head. And say, reusing your video card. A $500 motherboard,
a $1000 CPU, $250 for RAM, a bit more other junk, and so on.
The CPU liquid cooler probably costs a few bucks. But
is going to be more friendly than putting a huge Noctua
air cooler in there. I had to seat the DIMMs on my system,
using a "pusher stick" made of wood, to snap the DIMMs into place.
A water cooler leaves a lot more room (although it doesn't give
any blowdown cooling or anything, for motherboard components).
You might want to check the temps on the VCore regulator
during your build/test. When Prime95 is running (non-AVX version).

Paul
Old May 6th 18, 01:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bill Anderson

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...20231907¬*¬*¬* $238.99

This is easily a $2000 build, just quickly doing a few sums
in my head. And say, reusing your video card. A $500 motherboard,
a $1000 CPU, $250 for RAM, a bit more other junk, and so on.
The CPU liquid cooler probably costs a few bucks. But
is going to be more friendly than putting a huge Noctua
air cooler in there. I had to seat the DIMMs on my system,
using a "pusher stick" made of wood, to snap the DIMMs into place.
A water cooler leaves a lot more room (although it doesn't give
any blowdown cooling or anything, for motherboard components).
You might want to check the temps on the VCore regulator
during your build/test. When Prime95 is running (non-AVX version).

¬*¬* Paul

Heh, I didn't price the GPU because I planned to use the one I have. And
yes, I figured about $2K, which I can swing, but which I don't want to
do if I don't have to. I hadn't even looked at the price of the GPU.
Holy moly.

I've spent the bulk of today working on (OK, playing around with) my
P9X79 computer. I have a dual boot system and I wanted to upgrade my
secondary OS with the latest version of Win10, a clean install.

A digression: I downloaded the new (this week) Win10 ISO and installed
it clean in a small partition I use for my secondary OS. Pretty soon it
was telling me it needed some "updates." Well, where the initial
installation took about 20 minutes, the "updates" took over an hour, but
now I have an installation of Win10 version 1803, OS Build 17134.1. And
now that I look, I see my main OS installation is Version 1709, Build
16299.371. And I thought I'd successfully updated it to the Spring 2018
version earlier this week. Sometimes Windows puzzles me.

My main point, though, is that throughout today I've heard the four-beep
error message only once, and that was when I'd disconnected my main boot
drive (an SSD that holds the OS and all applications) in order to
prevent Win10 from spotting it while installing my secondary OS on
another drive. (I hate dealing the with boot manager, and this way it
never gets triggered.) But all I had to do was power down and then
power up again and I heard the Post beep and I was in business for the
rest of the day.

As I've mentioned in earlier posts, a simple reboot never triggers the
error beeps. The system has to shut down -- fans off -- before a reboot
triggers the error. And the other day that was happening regularly.
Every time I'd exit BIOS the system would completely power down, pause a
few seconds, and then power up again, triggering the error. Today that
hasn't happened once, I transition smoothly from BIOS into OS boot and
I've been in and out of BIOS a number of times.

So...I'm not going to buy a new system as long as this one keeps
behaving. But if things go south again anytime soon, I really believe
I'll get the board and the processor mentioned above, and some of the
RAM, and as for that $4500 GPU...ha ha.

Thanks for following up. I'm going to take a deep breath now and wait
to see if my problems recur anytime soon. I'm hoping I just might be
able to escape this with few injuries to my wallet.

--
Bill Anderson

I am the Mighty Favog