Help! MBR or BootSector corrupt

Old November 11th 05, 04:50 PM

Default Help! MBR or BootSector corrupt

Hi!
Can someone help me with this? Yesterday I was using a data recovery
software, while Winamp is running, suddenly the machine turned off,
after that it won't boot.

My hard drive has some bad sectors and later I found out that the
RAM was also a little bit faulty, It was replaced. Later I booted the
machine with another HD, then the system(XP) detected the faulty drive,
But it didn't have partitions in it. Then I used Partition Magic 7.0,
It showed the disk, But It shows the whole drive as Unallocated and I
tried a data recovery software (a demo version of Handy Recovery), It
showed partitions and files as recoverable and then I tried Seagate's
SeaTools It stated Invalid MBR.

I think the problem is possibly a corrupt MBR or Partition table or
Bootsector and a little possibility of a boot sector virus. What can
Ido? There are alot of tools for restoring MBR's, But I haven't got a
Backup of it. I have Norton Antivirus 2003 and I have used Partition
Magic 8.0 in the faulty disk, I have used Partition Magic several times
to resize partitions. Does any of these or any other software store a
copy of MBR in the disk or registry. Because on a MBR access Norton AV
warns and I think it replaces it if needed and I think When Partition
Magic does tasks it replaces the MBR with a temporary one and when the
task is done it replaces the original one. Does Windows FDISK's fixmbr,
fixboot commands restores the previous MBR or just rewrites them.
What's the software that could help me? Please help me!

Old November 11th 05, 05:25 PM
Maxim S. Shatskih

Manual bytewise analyzis and the DSKPROBE tool from Windows Support Tools.

--
Maxim Shatskih, Windows DDK MVP
StorageCraft Corporation

http://www.storagecraft.com

ups.com...

Old November 11th 05, 06:18 PM
Rod Speed

wrote

Can someone help me with this? Yesterday I was using
a data recovery software, while Winamp is running,
suddenly the machine turned off, after that it won't boot.

That is usually a hardware failure.

My hard drive has some bad sectors and later I found out that the
RAM was also a little bit faulty, It was replaced. Later I booted the
machine with another HD, then the system(XP) detected the faulty
drive, But it didn't have partitions in it. Then I used Partition
Magic 7.0, It showed the disk, But It shows the whole drive as
Unallocated and I tried a data recovery software (a demo version
of Handy Recovery), It showed partitions and files as recoverable
and then I tried Seagate's SeaTools It stated Invalid MBR.

Which may well just indicate that the sector it occupys is flakey.

I think the problem is possibly a corrupt MBR or Partition table or
Bootsector and a little possibility of a boot sector virus. What can Ido?

There are alot of tools for restoring MBR's, But I haven't got a Backup of it.

You dont necessarily need one if you know the partition structure,
particularly if there was just one partition for the entire drive.

I have Norton Antivirus 2003 and I have used Partition Magic
8.0 in the faulty disk, I have used Partition Magic several times
to resize partitions. Does any of these or any other software
store a copy of MBR in the disk

Yes, some recovery software can handle bad a MBR
and some recovery software can recover some files
without the MBR being available.

or registry. Because on a MBR access Norton
AV warns and I think it replaces it if needed

Only if you have use NAV previously and its saved a copy of it.

and I think When Partition Magic does tasks it replaces the MBR with
a temporary one and when the task is done it replaces the original one.
Does Windows FDISK's fixmbr, fixboot commands restores the previous MBR

Nope.

or just rewrites them.

Yep.

What's the software that could help me? Please help me!

I'd try Easy Recovery Pro, but it aint free.

Old November 11th 05, 11:35 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
wrote

Can someone help me with this? Yesterday I was using
a data recovery software, while Winamp is running,
suddenly the machine turned off, after that it won't boot.

That is usually a hardware failure.

Or a software failure.

My hard drive has some bad sectors and later I found out that the
RAM was also a little bit faulty, It was replaced. Later I booted the
machine with another HD, then the system(XP) detected the faulty
drive, But it didn't have partitions in it. Then I used Partition
Magic 7.0, It showed the disk, But It shows the whole drive as
Unallocated and I tried a data recovery software (a demo version
of Handy Recovery), It showed partitions and files as recoverable
and then I tried Seagate's SeaTools It stated Invalid MBR.

Which may well just indicate that the sector it occupys is flakey.

Or just "Invalid".

I think the problem is possibly a corrupt MBR or Partition table or

Which is the same, basically.

Bootsector and a little possibility of a boot sector virus. What can I do?

There are alot of tools for restoring MBR's, But I haven't got a Backup of it.

You dont necessarily need one if you know the partition structure,

particularly if there was just one partition for the entire drive.

The process is no different.

I have Norton Antivirus 2003 and I have used Partition Magic
8.0 in the faulty disk, I have used Partition Magic several times
to resize partitions.

Does any of these or any other software store a copy of MBR in the disk

Yes, some recovery software can handle bad a MBR
and some recovery software can recover some files
without the MBR being available.

(What's the difference) (And no, that wasn't the question).

And some software just restores the MBR so you don't need any
additional (file)recovery software at all.

or registry. Because on a MBR access Norton
AV warns and I think it replaces it if needed

Only if you have use NAV previously and its saved a copy of it.

and I think When Partition Magic does tasks it replaces the MBR with
a temporary one and when the task is done it replaces the original one.

Does Windows FDISK's fixmbr, fixboot commands restores the previous MBR

Nope.

(Half)Wrong.

or just rewrites them.

Yep.

Nope. It restores the code part. It leaves the partition table alone.

What's the software that could help me? Please help me!

I'd try Easy Recovery Pro, but it aint free.

ResqDisk or FindPart + PTEdit.
Old November 12th 05, 01:19 PM

Yes, I have Ontrack Easy Recovery Pro 6.0, Would it work?

Old November 12th 05, 01:21 PM

And Where does Norton Antivirus (v.2002) store the MBR?

Old November 12th 05, 01:28 PM

Hi!
Thanks for the reply. Yes I've Easy Recovery Pro 6.0, Would it work? I
tried it but after some point I thought It wouldn't work and closed it.
Have you tried it? And where do you think Norton AV 2002 would store
the MBR?
Thanks!

Old November 12th 05, 08:11 PM
Rod Speed

Some ****wit pseudokraut claiming to be
Folkert Rienstra wrote just
the pathetic excuse for a troll that's all it can ever manage.

Old November 13th 05, 01:02 PM

Rod Speed wrote:
| Some ****wit pseudokraut claiming to be
| Folkert Rienstra wrote just
| the pathetic excuse for a troll that's all it can ever manage.

Hah ha! NO need for combats guys.

Coz, Just now I fixed the system. I just inserted the Norton Sysworks
2004 cd, It had
an Autorun which allowed to run utililties without installing it. I ran
the Disk doctor, It
said There's an invalid partition table and asked whether it should fix
it by searching
the faulty disk for partitions, Then I rebooted and Right now Iam
posting this message
from the same system I had 3 days ago, still I haven't even installed
Norton Systemworks.
No matter what stuff from Norton are the best!