DVD + - which way to go?

Old July 10th 03, 10:06 PM
Calvin Crumrine

Proto wrote:
"Calvin Crumrine" wrote in message

Proto wrote:

The only

thing I can think of is if you want to play DVDs on a PlayStation2, they
have to be in DVD-R format.

My PS2 plays fine with CD+RW

There is no CD+RW. The plus formats only apply to DVD's.

Ya I know, sorry I mistyped. I meant DVD+RW...

'Sall right-happens to the bset of us.

Old July 11th 03, 07:18 AM
Buckaroo

Well, you have a very problematical sample of players. I have A03 A05 A06
and NEVER EVER had
trouble with -R.

"Paul" wrote in message
I should have said that I did have a Pioneer A03 burner and the -r's could
not be played in a multitude of players. My family has between us 5 DVD
Players. In addition I have a DVDR1000MkII +R/RW Recorder. Everything I
have burned on +R/RW plays on everything including an old pick Sony

DVPS525D
player. -R's most will play, but there is some really c**p media out

there.
The + format doesn't seem to have as many in my experience. e.g.
Princo -R's are rubbish and I often wonder why peopl go to the bother of
spending so much time flashing their firmwares just to play these. We had
this 18 months ago with normal speed discs now we are seemingly going
through it again with the 4x media. Why - just get decent media in the
first place or switch dare I say it to the + format. Just my tuppence
worth.

This footnote confirms that this email message
has been swept by Norton AntiVirus for the
presence of computer viruses.

This computer is protected
by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector

"David Brewster" wrote in message
I have a multi format burner and have been experimenting with + and -
formats.

I have a Panasonic portable player which reads anything.

I also have a recent model Toshiba player but this will only play the -R
format (a friend has a different Toshiba model that plays +R)

From my experience go for -R to get the most widespread compatability.

David B

"Skippa" wrote in message
I've been wanting to buy a DVD burner for some time now and been
wondering what to buy. I've gathered info about what the differences

are
between the + and - format but I've also been told contradicting info

by
salesman about what they do and ultimately which way to go.

I want a DVD burner mainly to archive important data. But I also want

burner that would let me create my own DVDs that would play in a stand
alone DVD player. Certain salesman told me that the format didn't

matter
and that both would make it possible to do the two things I wanted.

Some
told me to go with a + burner, others with a - burner. One told me

that
it wasn't certain yet which way the market was gonna go, + or -, so he
couldn't really recommend anything. He told me to go with the Sony one
that supports both (maybe he just told me that to get me to buy a more
expensive burner). Anyway... For what I want to do which is:

- Archive data
- Create my own DVDs that would play in a normal DVD player

What would you recommend? + - or one that does both?
Also, any specific DVD burner you could recommend?

TIA for any suggestions.

Old July 11th 03, 10:00 AM
Paul

I don't agree - as I said the only probs I've had have been with
Princo -r's. -r's recorded on all other media have been perfect. I deduce
therefore that it is the Princo's that are problematic - indeed c**p I'd
say - not my players. Prico's refused to play back when recorded on my A03
and refuse to play back when recorded on my new Iomega Dual. I have one
left - tell me where to send it and you can have it.

"Paul" wrote in message
[...]

From my experience go for -R to get the most widespread compatability.

David B

Old July 11th 03, 11:10 AM

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 19:04:05 GMT, Skippa wrote:

I've been wanting to buy a DVD burner for some time now and been
wondering what to buy. I've gathered info about what the differences are
between the + and - format but I've also been told contradicting info by
salesman about what they do and ultimately which way to go.

I want a DVD burner mainly to archive important data. But I also want a
burner that would let me create my own DVDs that would play in a stand
alone DVD player. Certain salesman told me that the format didn't matter
and that both would make it possible to do the two things I wanted. Some
told me to go with a + burner, others with a - burner. One told me that
it wasn't certain yet which way the market was gonna go, + or -, so he
couldn't really recommend anything. He told me to go with the Sony one
that supports both (maybe he just told me that to get me to buy a more
expensive burner). Anyway... For what I want to do which is:

- Archive data
- Create my own DVDs that would play in a normal DVD player

What would you recommend? + - or one that does both?
Also, any specific DVD burner you could recommend?

TIA for any suggestions.

-----------------------
I went with the Pioneer DVR-A06, in the full retail packaging (does
both +/-) and 4X. For the few extra bucks it was worth it (to me) to
play it safe. The Sony DRU-510A (retail)/DW-U12A (OEM), which has the
exact same features as the Pioneer drive, is a good drive also, but
the Pioneer has a clearly sturdier tray mechanism.

The drive has been working flawlessly for me with a variety of media
and burning programs.

I got mine at AccuPC.com. $241 +$8 Fedex 3 day shipping.

If you don't mind a bare drive, allmediaoutlet.com sells the DVR-106,
(OEM version of DVR-A06) for $215 w/free ground shipping or $218.50
for Fedex 3 day shipping.

I mention these 2 places because I've had good buying experiences with
them. You can find the drives for $3-$5 less on Pricewatch.com, but I
tend to be loyal to places that consistently provide fast, error-free
service.

(Remove mypants to reply by email)
Old July 13th 03, 04:57 AM
BRanger

"Buckaroo" wrote in message
I have made 700 Pinco baseed discs at 1x 2x and 4x....only two or three
discs were bad or
after burning failed to play on set tops. You have something wrong,

buddy.

Should we all bow down to your obviously superior PC abilities?

Old July 13th 03, 05:21 AM
Mark Leuck

Get a combo drive from Sony, Pioneer or Plextor and have both formats

I have an older Pioneer A03 that supports -R, works great

Old July 14th 03, 02:22 AM
Robert Baer

motecrepodibotte wrote:

Get SONY DRU 500

the best DVD+-RW

"Skippa" wrote in message
[...]

That is exactly what others said, so i got the DRU-500AX due to the
discount available at the time.
However, the software is **** - just toss it and use something else.
Old July 14th 03, 11:51 PM
SirScrub

That is exactly what others said, so i got the DRU-500AX due to the
discount available at the time.
However, the software is **** - just toss it and use something else.

Amen!

4 more days till Nero 6 Ultra (unless you've already got it off the web)