Swapping circuit boards on identical drives

Old July 15th 03, 07:27 PM
Rod Speed

"Li'l ol' me" wrote in message ...

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Li'l ol' me" wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Li'l ol' me" wrote in message
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

Li'l ol' me wrote
in message ...

I have two identical (I think 10gig drives). One is not IDs by
BIOS,
the
other seems OK, but the SMART status is BAD. I thought I'd have

go
at switching the boards round as some people report success wth
this.

I first removed the board from the dirve with the bad SMART
status and put on it the board from the other drive. It just
made chugging noises and the drive was not IDd at all.

So I replaced the original board onto this disk and expected to
see bad SMART status as before. But now the board is making
like it was with the other drive's board, and is not IDd at all.

What gives?

You can get a result like that if the drives have a proper

hardware
password set. Usually only seen with laptops and notebooks tho.

Can putting an incompatible board on
mess up an otherwise working drive?

Yes, most obviously if you bugger up the card when swapping it.

I'm sure these were identical.

What model number details ?

I actually bought SEVEN of those infamous Fujitsu drives, all 10gig,

I've reported you to the RSPCPPFHDMBCF

I got lost after the RSPC bit,

Wota wimp.

explain!

No way!

Wota (sic) wimp!

No, hang on, worked it out now!

Liar |-)

mostly MPG310AT, but one MPG310AH. I think
all but one are the same manufacture date.

Two of these are 100% (touch wood) so I havn't lost anything.

I'd try swapping the logic cards between those two drives
to prove definitively if those drives can have the logic card
swapped between two working drives and still see them working.

I'm not chancing this just in case I did bugger up the others.

Wota wimp.

If you cant, and both drives no longer work, even
with the original logic card back on the drive, you
can always slash your wrists or something |-)

Two are not ID'd but seem to spin up at least, two
make what I called 'chugging' noises (but are more
like the clack of a horse's hooves when I think about it).

Thats just the elves that are in every hard drive stomping
around in the drive in their hobnail boots and really putting
the boot into the drive when it doesnt start up properly.

The last is the one I mentioned with the SMART reported as bad.
What I'm not sure about with this is whther that means the drive is
being
reported as bad, or whether the SMART itself is being reported as

bad.

The drive is being reported as bad.

I guess I should have disabled the SMART and tested the
disk BEFORE messing about with swapping electronics.

Shouldnt make any difference.

I'm sure I didn't bugger up the card when swapping it!

You cant ever be completely sure about
that, particularly with static damage.

The only issue seems to be the cable that connects them,
as it's hard to know if they're making a proper connection.

So you could well have buggered that up when swapping the card.

Shame they weren't cableless like the Seagate Barracudas.

Sure. Bit academic tho with the utterly
obscene failure rate of the MPGs.

Are you really that desperate a pov ?

Well, no, but like I alluded to when I said I'd lost nowt,
the two that are working are worth more than I paid for all 7,

Only to dills who havent noticed the obscene failure rate seen
with Fujitsu MPGs. They're worthless to anyone who has.

and the ones left over can go back on ebay for spares.

Pointless when its normally the logic card that fails with those.

Alternatively, there's some guy(s) on ebay offering to
buy these for £5 a time. I'm just guessing, but I reckon
he's ripped out some working drives from some
ex-corporate machines, and is using dud drives and
those machines to get around Fujitsu's strict RMA policy.

Probably.

If this is kosher, I'll have doubled my money.

Clearly a desperate pov...

Maybe I should get a job charging £500 a time for
data recovery. Maybe I should just get ANY job....

Can do useful things for the cashflow.

P4C800-E Deluxe : problem connecting new drives ! SOLVED Paul Asus Motherboards 0 February 24th 05 10:06 PM
Boot problem *Vanguard* General 8 February 29th 04 06:53 AM
Vendor Warning! Monarch Computer - Samsung SP1614N 160gb hard disk drives Steve Hawkins Jr General 2 October 25th 03 03:43 AM
help with motherboard choice S.Boardman General 30 October 20th 03 10:23 PM
Adding ATA 133 Controller Card Michael L. Coleman General 4 September 21st 03 07:20 AM