New Boxen problem; any ideas?

Old August 12th 04, 12:34 AM
Onideus Mad Hatter

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 00:13:00 +0100, Mimic wrote:

*sigh* hatter give it up, the issue is dealt with. The problem WAS the
power supply, it was NOT and never was anything to do with the hdd rpm.
If you continue with this **** Ill be forced to kill hte thread.
EOF.

Do as you like, it's not as if it affects me one way or another. Personally I think you're just
trying to avoid arguments by magically claiming that the problem as been solved, which is fine, but
you could at least make your story a lil more plausible. I mean, come on, I just went through the
bother of factoring out the wattage, it pretty much proves solid that it couldn't have been a power
issue...unless there was just some kind of problem with your old power supply or it wasn't labeled
properly or you were doing something REALLY dumb like trying to overclock something. *shrugs*

--

Onideus Mad Hatter
mhm ¹ x ¹
Old August 12th 04, 12:38 AM
Me

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 19:09:45 +0100, Mimic dev@null wrote:

Just built my new box and its running ridiculously slow.

This is gunna sound nuts, but I've run into this more than once....
Check your drive jumper settings. I've seen a few different boxes that
I've built read the drives unbelievably slow. They would read, but
good lord they'd literally take _minutes_ to boot, just as you
describe. Now, the odd thing is, every time I've seen this I had the
jumpers set as one would expect them to be set... the master drive on
the end of the primary IDE cable and jumpered as master, the slave
drive (when there was one) on the center connector of the primary
cable and jumpered as slave, CD (burners, always) jumpered as master
on the end of the secondary IDE cable. Sounds perfect, right? Thing
is, THAT'S what was causing the problem. Every time I've seen this,
simply setting everything to "cable select" cured the problem
immediately. Now I just set everything to cable select to begin with
and never see the problem anymore.
Old August 12th 04, 01:24 AM
Colonel Flagg

In article , dev@null says...
Just built my new box and its running ridiculously slow. just over 2mins
to boot to the login prompt then a further 1min 20 to get to the
desktop, its a new install of xp pro. The spec is as follows, a couple
things, it has dumped after a bugcheck a couple times, last time i had
this it was due to overclocked ram. I manually set this ram to its speed
with no joy. Also, im running it off a 300w PSU [i have a 400 on the
way] atm, which I know is causing other problems [reboots when i turn on
the light tubes hehe]. But that wouldnt be the cause of this would it ?

Anyway, any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated as this is sposed to be
the hype box that is replacing my fast, stable, 4yo duron800 machine :P

P4 2.8 Prescott [1mb L2 cache, 800/HT] @ 50 deg C
512 DDR 2700 [333]
Asus Board, supporting Prescott, HT and 800fsb @ 27 deg C
256mb Geforce4 gfx card
1 Zalman Fan controller
1 multifunctional docking bay [mem cards, usb, f/wire etc]
1 DVDrom
1 DVDRW
3 Case fans
5 inline led's.
[the tubes are always turned off atm]

If you need the exact part specs just shout.

thx

]

take the cd out of the drive, reboot it and see if it does the same
thing.

--
Colonel Flagg
http://www.internetwarzone.org/

Privacy at a click:
http://www.cotse.net

A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

"...I see stupid people."
Old August 12th 04, 09:15 AM
Lensman

Onideus Mad Hatter wrote :

...how would you even be able to tell? You do know that heatsink/fan options for Xeon's are pretty
limited outside the OEM setup, unless I took the whole thing apart, pulled out the processors and
took pictures of the bottoms it wouldn't really prove anything.

If you're goinmg to post this **** in my face, at least use a news
reader that knows how to wrap lines, cockslap.

Old August 12th 04, 09:20 AM
Lensman

Onideus Mad Hatter wrote :

[...]

Get a clue, and learn to wrap your lines, dickhead.

Old August 12th 04, 11:38 AM
Onideus Mad Hatter

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 08:15:25 +0000 (UTC), Lensman wrote:

...how would you even be able to tell? You do know that heatsink/fan options for Xeon's are pretty
limited outside the OEM setup, unless I took the whole thing apart, pulled out the processors and
took pictures of the bottoms it wouldn't really prove anything.

If you're goinmg to post this **** in my face,

I'm sorry, tell us all again whose forcing your dumbass to read every last one of my posts?

at least use a news reader that knows how to wrap lines, cockslap.

Yer kinda like...REALLY stupid, huh? ^_^

*Hatter reels in a newr kooktard*

Old August 12th 04, 11:40 AM
Onideus Mad Hatter

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 08:20:49 +0000 (UTC), Lensman wrote:

Onideus Mad Hatter wrote :

[...]

Oh my, such scathing insults! You almost hurt my virtual feelings on that last one, Child, do go
ahead and give it another shot. After all, where would you be in life if not obsessing over my line
width? ^_^

Old August 12th 04, 12:14 PM
Lensman

Onideus Mad Hatter wrote :

*Hatter reels in a newr kooktard*

Dream on, monkey boy

Old August 12th 04, 12:40 PM
Marxc2001

I'm away five minutes (hours, days, weeks, they're all the same...)
and all hell breaks loose!

Now I've missed all of the fun, I think I agree with Mimic... i.e. :
*EOF*

I just have not got any more space for massive arguements, as I am
forced to reckon with a 4 Gb HDD with a process list to rival that of
my old MS Windoze box.

Have fun everyone.

Happy Hacking.

Marxc2001.
Old August 12th 04, 06:45 PM
Mimic

Onideus Mad Hatter wrote:

[...]

Look hatter, while i appriciate your input, you were wrong. 90% of
people thought it was a power issue, as I also stated in my OP, the
remaining people, yourself excluded, believed it may be due to a timing
issue. Replacing the psu with a higher spec fixed the problem, thus I
think it is more than safe to conclude that the problem was with the
psu. EOF

--
Mimic