need thermal glue to work properly???

Old February 27th 04, 06:43 PM
David Maxey

Default need thermal glue to work properly???

I just bought a 1.4 GHz AMD Duron processor and I installed it in my
fairly new motherboard that supports up to 1800 AMD Athlon XP. But
when i put it into the motherboard and had a older heatsink and fan on
it without thermal glue...everything else was new but it would not
even pick up any periphrials or IDE's HDD's or anything...my monitor
wouldn't even turn on by itself...(yes i do know it needs to be
plugged in!)...anyways....I might just get a new barebone system
anyways if i can't get it to work.
any help for me???
-DAvid Maxey

Old February 28th 04, 04:22 AM
Tom

(David Maxey) wrote in message . com...
I just bought a 1.4 GHz AMD Duron processor and I installed it in my
fairly new motherboard that supports up to 1800 AMD Athlon XP. But
when i put it into the motherboard and had a older heatsink and fan on
it without thermal glue...everything else was new but it would not
even pick up any periphrials or IDE's HDD's or anything...my monitor
wouldn't even turn on by itself...(yes i do know it needs to be
plugged in!)...anyways....I might just get a new barebone system
anyways if i can't get it to work.
any help for me???
-DAvid Maxey

Hi

I would highly recommend using thermal compound, especially as you
have an older heatsink. Even with thermal compound, when you do get it
going, keep checking the CPU temp for about 10 - 15 mins after bootup
- if its running any more than 55 degrees C then you need a better
heatsink )

Some stuff to try as its not even turning on:
It's most likely a loose or incorrectly orientated cable, loose RAM,
graphics card or CPU. Check you cable connections (power and IDE
ribbon cables), take out and re-seat all adaptor cards, also take out
and re-seat the RAM and CPU. If after checking all those things your
PC is still lifeless then the next thing to do is remove all the
components from the PC except the base parts it needs to boot. So you
can basically disconnect everything except video card, RAM and CPU
(yes, even hard drives can come out). If it boots this time, then
keep adding stuff until it no longer boots, at which point you have
identified your problem device. If it still won't boot with a base
configuration then I'd say either your motherboard or power supply is
bad. If the fans spin round and the hard drives power up then its
probably the motherboard, else its the power supply.

Tom