Strange Re-install issue WinXP Pro

Old November 13th 11, 08:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Default Strange Re-install issue WinXP Pro

Allen Drake wrote:
On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 00:29:58 GMT,
(GMAN) wrote:

In article , Allen Drake wrote:
On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 10:58:01 -0500, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

"Allen Drake" wrote in message

I am trying a clean re-install of Win XP Pro but I get a message to
place CD in drive and access E:\i386 but E: is the drive I am
installing to and not a CD Rom. I am using the OEM disk that came with
the machine. I have searched Google for the same problem but I have
found nothing that fits my problem.
When instal routines give us a prompt like this, we are usually
able to /Browse to the correct folder (disk and drive.) Repost
telling us whether you can / Browse to the right location.
I was unable to browse or change the E:\ device but I am now
successful with the install because I removed the SATA/RAID PCI card.
It seems it was causing the halt of install even though there were no
drives attached.

The only problem I see now is "Multimedia Audio Controller" unable to
find driver and remains with the big yellow Question mark. I am using
an Intel D845GVB desktop board. I have downloaded and installed
drivers I thought would fix this from the Intel site but I can locate
them after they unzipped.

Still looking...............

Go here and run this utility. It will autodetect your intel motherboard and
will download the Sigmatel AC97 drivers for your board.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

Thanks GMAN but I have been there and done that and the section that
is for "Audio Driver for Intel Desktop Board" where it shows product
detected and current driver installed is blank.

I download and run the application and manually and it refuses with a
message that says "Device Object not present, restart the system and
run setup again" but no success no matter what.

It sure seems like I am missing something here.

Two things to check. First is, older motherboards treat some subsystems
as "optional". Check to see if there is an Analog Device AD1981 AC'97
CODEC actually on the board. In the picture here, there are six white
PCI slots, and below the third slot from the left, I think I see a
48 pin quad package. That could be the AD1981 CODEC, if present.
I also see a 2x5 audio header, for front panel audio, with the
classical two blue jumpers in place (when the header is unused),
and that is to the left of the CODEC.

http://www.esaitech.com/objects/cata...e/img50202.jpg

Second, check in the BIOS itself, for a setting to enable or disable
onboard sound. Perhaps the AC'97 thing is turned off.

AC'97 drivers come in two parts (in terms of identification). There
is the CODEC chip number itself, the AD1981 part. But the Southbridge
type (ICH4) also matters. Some companies, when they wrote drivers,
only put a couple Southbridge families in one package. So you'd have
AD1981 for Intel_SB/VIA_SB and a separate one for SIS_SB and so on.
So even when you think you've stumbled on an AD1981 driver, it
can be for the wrong supporting Southbridge.

In the case of Analog Devices, their trade name is SoundMax, and they
even had a web site by that name. But Analog Devices doesn't release
drivers to the public, so you're forced to track dribbling drivers
all over the web, to find the most up-to-date one.

The archive.org web site, has archived copies of the Intel page, and
for an older OS, maybe something here will be sufficient to make it
work.

http://web.archive.org/web/200502051...d/bv/index.htm

On the driver page...

http://web.archive.org/web/200503100...v/bv_drive.htm

there is the "Cadenza" entry for WinXP, which is this download. The
archive site, doesn't archive FTP sites. so we're screwed.

ftp://download.intel.com/design/moth...6b_Cadenza.exe

But, that link may work on the real Intel site, anyway. I eventually
ended up here. The fact this is dated 2003 should not really bother
you, because continued support and new releases of driver, at
least filed on the Intel site, are unlikely. The search may continue
on sites like Asus or Dell, to find later ones. In particular,
Asus likes to use some of the more mouldy AD CODECs on some
of their later boards, so if you absolutely had to have a driver
from later than 2003, a couple hours work should find it.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...nal &lang=eng

"This download is valid for the product(s) listed below.
Intel Desktop Board D845GBV"

So this is the file I eventually got - 18.5MB. Maybe this
is the one you got already ? Verify the chip exists on the
motherboard, and that the BIOS is enabled, then give it a go.

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/1217...6b_Cadenza.exe

Paul
Old November 13th 11, 10:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Allen Drake

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 03:54:10 -0500, Paul wrote:

Allen Drake wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I will check the Codecs when I get done with the post and put the
system back together and fire it up.

http://www.esaitech.com/objects/cata...e/img50202.jpg

OK, to begin with this photo is not quite the same as my board. Mine
does not have that black connector but it does have an empty place
where it would be. I am going to try looking for a better shot of this
board somewhere.

Second, check in the BIOS itself, for a setting to enable or disable
onboard sound. Perhaps the AC'97 thing is turned off.

BIOS sound is enabled but nothing referring to AC'97.

AC'97 drivers come in two parts (in terms of identification). There
is the CODEC chip number itself, the AD1981 part. But the Southbridge
type (ICH4) also matters. Some companies, when they wrote drivers,
only put a couple Southbridge families in one package. So you'd have
AD1981 for Intel_SB/VIA_SB and a separate one for SIS_SB and so on.
So even when you think you've stumbled on an AD1981 driver, it
can be for the wrong supporting Southbridge.

In the case of Analog Devices, their trade name is SoundMax, and they
even had a web site by that name. But Analog Devices doesn't release
drivers to the public, so you're forced to track dribbling drivers
all over the web, to find the most up-to-date one.

I have the SoundMax driver app but it too sees no device.

The archive.org web site, has archived copies of the Intel page, and
for an older OS, maybe something here will be sufficient to make it
work.

http://web.archive.org/web/200502051...d/bv/index.htm

That photo looks like the board I have but as usual it is small.

[...]

I seem to have that driver and still get nothing but I am not done
with the sites you provided me.

Thank you very much Paul for all the time you spent helping me out. I
really appreciate it. You seem to be a bit like myself where I awake
in the wee hours and fiddle with something mostly meaningless like
trying to update the old system for no good reason. This system is an
old computer dedicated to surveillance and merely needed a clean
install. I am tempted to install the old HDD and take another look at
what is going on as it works fine. Just slow and cluttered.

I will be back when I have gotten everything working. I never give up

Al.
Old November 13th 11, 12:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Allen Drake

[...]

This finally worked although I got a report about a needed update
that I didn't pay much attention to but will review later anyway. All
is well with the OS install other then the intended use of this
system. I am having difficulties getting the Netpromax 608 DVR card
installed and as I mentioned they have gone out of business and
disappeared. I will either replace the old drive or buy a new DVR and
start with a new system install and configuration.Most likely the
latter.

Thanks and best regards.

Al
Old November 13th 11, 03:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Patrick[_8_]

wrote:

[...]

Just a possibility !
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic161337.html

Old November 13th 11, 05:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Allen Drake

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Patrick that is a nice group. I have added a shortcut to my
favorites. I have that system running like new now with much help from
the group and mostly Paul and GMAN whom I would like to offer a
special thanks again. It was loads of fun working on this little
project, almost like building a new one from scratch which I did last
month as still have it sitting beside me doing nothing. I just like
playing computers I guess.
Old November 13th 11, 06:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GMAN[_13_]

In article , Allen Drake wrote:
On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 03:54:10 -0500, Paul wrote:

Allen Drake wrote:
On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 00:29:58 GMT,
(GMAN) wrote:

In article , Allen Drake

wrote:

[...]

http://web.archive.org/web/200502051....com/design/mo

therbd/bv/index.htm

That photo looks like the board I have but as usual it is small.

this appears to be your driver

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/1217...6b_Cadenza.exe
Old November 13th 11, 06:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GMAN[_13_]

wrote:

[...]

The awesome part of your quest was that you never gave up and kept us all up
to date on your failures and triumps. Paul, I , and the rest of the group here
help out not for kudos or browniebuttons, but because we ALL have been in the
same boat as you and so we pay it forwards at every chance to help out.
Old November 13th 11, 06:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Allen Drake wrote:

This finally worked although I got a report about a needed update
that I didn't pay much attention to but will review later anyway. All
is well with the OS install other then the intended use of this
system. I am having difficulties getting the Netpromax 608 DVR card
installed and as I mentioned they have gone out of business and
disappeared. I will either replace the old drive or buy a new DVR and
start with a new system install and configuration.Most likely the
latter.

Thanks and best regards.

Al

Did the Netpromax come with an installer CD ?
Maybe that'll be good enough.

If you know, positive and for certain, what web site Netpromax
used to offer downloads at, www.archive.org is always there to
trace down a snapshot of the site. Don't give up that easily :-)
If you need help, post the URL of where Netpromax used to
hide out.

Paul
Old November 13th 11, 09:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Allen Drake

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 18:35:19 GMT,
(GMAN) wrote:

In article , Allen Drake wrote:
On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 03:54:10 -0500, Paul wrote:

Allen Drake wrote:
On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 00:29:58 GMT,

(GMAN) wrote:

In article , Allen Drake

wrote:

[...]

Yup, That's to one alrighty. Thanks.
Old November 13th 11, 09:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Allen Drake

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 13:46:50 -0500, Paul wrote:

Allen Drake wrote:

[...]

The Netpromax did come with a CD but I do remember having the same
trouble with the original install and spoke with the guy who gave me
verbal instructions. I will be looking for something on the web to
show me again it was so long ago in computer years.