Next game box

Old November 10th 11, 01:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Next game box

On Oct 20, 7:11*pm, johns wrote:
My last system is working perfectly. It's a few
years old, but really fast and quiet. Runs cool.

Dual boots XP Pro - Win7 / 64

Intel Core2 Duo .. early so not a failed quad
Gigabyte mobo .. solid state caps
Truepower 750 watts
Nvidia gtx 275
4 gigs ram
2 hard drives 500 gig each .. hitachi
sata dvd
Antec 900 case
Asus lcd 24 inch wide .. nice

No problem in any games .. Crysis is fast.

Reason I'm starting a new box is ?? Damned
if I know. I'm trying to figure out what is new
and what I would like to try to optimize next.
I don't really see anything in a new technology
at all. I'm playing with wireless, but my laptop
does that without a hitch. I can make free
phone calls all over the world ( gmail ), but
again the laptop is doing it. Any ideas ?

johns

Considering your current gear, I'd say that your best upgrades are, in
order...

1. A big screen lcd tv as your main monitor. One of the best upgrades
you can make, and it will outlast your computer. Just make sure you
find one with vga or dvi input for the clearest signal. Gaming on the
big screen is awesome. Reuse your little 24" lcd as your secondary
monitor.

2. If you are unwilling to go with a big screen lcd tv, get another
24" (or larger) sized lcd monitor. A second screen is the best single
upgrade you can make, bar none.

3. A nice keyboard. Most people spend a lot of time and effort to get
a good gaming mouse, but are still using the crappy $15 keyboard that
came with their computer. A nice mechanical keyboard with cherry
switches is a huge step up. Black or red cherry switches tend to be
best for gaming, while the brown switches tend to be best for typing
or work.

4. A dd-wrt compatible router; dd-wrt will turn your $100 router into
a $1000 router. It's a very noticeable upgrade.

5. A good sound system. Preferably a satellite surround sound system
with a good subwoofer punching out hundreds of watts. But if you have
to use headphones, due to family considerations, get really good ones,
something a DJ would want to wear.

6. A good usb microphone from Blue or Samson on a heavy desk stand.
Something that looks like what a radio announcer would use. Something
that's sensitive enough to pick up quiet conversation from across the
room.

7. A solid state drive for your OS and installed applications. It will
cut down boot times and application load times to a third or less.

All the upgrades above will out last your current system by years.
--
// T.Hsu
Old November 10th 11, 01:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,free.UseNet
John Doe

ting thsu.org wrote:

johns johns... moscow.com wrote:

[...]

Or... "Thing discovers the secondary monitor".

I've used different combinations of secondary monitors, for many
years. Yeah, it's cool to have two or more monitors. But, there is
no way that a secondary monitor is generally the single best
upgrade a user can make. There are lots of circumstances where
that's obviously not true.

3. A nice keyboard. Most people spend a lot of time and effort
to get a good gaming mouse, but are still using the crappy $15
keyboard that came with their computer. A nice mechanical
keyboard with cherry switches is a huge step up. Black or red
cherry switches tend to be best for gaming, while the brown
switches tend to be best for typing or work.

But seriously, Thing... I use a keyboard that was shipped all the
way from China for a grand total of $20 (it came with a mouse, but
I use a fancy laser mouse and keep the cheap mouse as a backup).
It's the ideal keyboard for my setup. I hardly use a keyboard
anymore. I use speech for writing, automating my computer tasks,
and for gaming.

In other words... It's not that simple.
--

[...]

see also Google Groups
From: ting thsu.org
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Next game box
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 17:23:49 -0800 (PST)

Old November 12th 11, 03:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Nov 9, 8:43*pm, Mark Bender, aka John Doe
wrote:
But, there is
no way that a secondary monitor is generally the single best
upgrade a user can make. There are lots of circumstances where
that's obviously not true.

Oh really? Why don't you name a few? The guy already has plenty of ram
for his system and he already has a decent graphics card. Once those
two basics are out of the way, what's a better upgrade than a big
screen tv as a primary monitor?

The big tv will outlast any computer part, by years, and he'll enjoy
playing his games on the big screen more than any other upgrade. The
secondary monitor is just a bonus, because all he's doing is reusing
his current monitor as his secondary. But once he has two monitors,
he'll never want to go back to just one.

I use speech for writing, automating my computer tasks,
and for gaming.

I bet it must be awesome playing a first person shooter, like Crysis,
via speech recognition.
--
// T.Hsu
Old November 12th 11, 10:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,free.UseNet,free.spam
John Doe

ting thsu.org wrote:

John Doe j... usenetlove.invalid wrote:

But, there is no way that a secondary monitor is generally the
single best upgrade a user can make. There are lots of
circumstances where that's obviously not true.

Oh really?

Yes, really, Thing.

Why don't you name a few? The guy already has plenty of ram for
his system

You were speaking generally, Thing, the stuff you snipped.

and he already has a decent graphics card. Once those two basics
are out of the way, what's a better upgrade than a big screen tv
as a primary monitor?

Thing has a big screen TV as a primary monitor, therefore (in his
not-quite-grown-up opinion) that is the best upgrade for everybody
else.

The big tv will outlast any computer part, by years,

That bull**** is a good example of how ignorant Thing really is.

I use speech for writing, automating my computer tasks, and for
gaming.

I bet it must be awesome playing a first person shooter, like
Crysis, via speech recognition.

"Fire, run, fire, run run run..."

// T.Hsu

see also Google Groups