overclocking ecs l7vmm3 (with athlon 2200 cpu)

Old September 25th 04, 11:14 PM
tomW

What happens if I just set the L3 bridges for 15X multiplier? Will this
have no effect at all? Is there a chance that if I do this my computer
won't start?

"Michael Brown" wrote in message
tomW wrote:
You're right, i read the cpu info wrong. It's 1.65v.

As for PowerNow, I don't think my system supports it. I'm not
entirely sure though. How do I verify this?

The l7vmm3 is based on the via KT266 chipset, which supports PowerNow.
I've
had a bit of a look at the BIOS, and it looks as though it will *probably*
default to the maximum software FID on boot. This is not a Good Thing. I
know where/what needs to be patched, but I've never tried messing around
with an AMI BIOS before, so I'm not sure where all the checksums and stuff
are. If your board doesn't have a soldered-on and you get a BIOS saviour
I'll be happy to cook you up a patched BIOS that won't set it to the
maximum
on boot.

If I don't have
PowerNow, then I'm stuck with what I have?

Yes.

[...]

Old September 26th 04, 02:41 AM
Michael Brown

tomW wrote:
What happens if I just set the L3 bridges for 15X multiplier? Will
this have no effect at all?

Correct. From another post I did ...

Michael Brown wrote:
There's three states an Athlon can be in
1) Unlocked. You can change the multiplier using pin painting, etc to
whatever you want.
2) Locked by AMD severing the L1 bridges. Multiplier adjustments
through pin painting, BIOS settings, etc will have no effect. You
have to rejoin the L1 bridges, which changes the CPU into state 1
(ie: full multiplier control).
3) Locked by AMD storing the
multiplier inside the die. Multiplier adjustments through pin
painting, BIOS settings, etc will have no effect. There is nothing
you can do to this CPU to enable pin-painting/BIOS multiplier changes.

You CPU is almost certainly case #3, so modifications of the startup
multiplier (L3 bridges, pin painting, BIOS settings, etc) will not have any
effect.

tomW wrote:
Is there a chance that if I do this my
computer won't start?

If you do it correctly, no. If you muck up the cutting, yes.

[...]

--
Michael Brown
www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more

Old September 29th 04, 01:43 AM
tomW

I just realized my cpu is a 5 bit athlon. Does this make any difference?
"tomW" wrote in message
. ..
Hello. I have an ecs l7vmm3 which is supposed to be able to run at 2.5
gHz. It uses an overclocked athlon 2200 cpu. I am able to get a top fsb
of 149 mhz, but system info tells me it's running at 1.86 gHz. I
should be able to get it up to 2.5 gHz. Anyone know how to do this? I'm
a novice at this, and would appreciate the help.

Thanks
Tom