``Supports 1920x1200''?

Old July 8th 07, 10:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

Default ``Supports 1920x1200''?

What Dell laptops support a 1920x1200 24" monitor (Dell 2407WFP)?

How is the monitor connected to the laptop? (what sort of jack)

They say the system needs to support it but are unhelpful about
whether theirs does.
--
Ron Hardin

Old July 9th 07, 12:02 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

I think they all do. For most laptops, there is a VGA port that
connects to the VGA In on the 2407FPW. That's how I connect my I6000.

A limited number of laptops have a DVI connector, which is preferably.
My I9300 and M2010 both have DVI and connect through that.

I would believe any computer in the last 2-3 years would support it.

Old July 9th 07, 12:57 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 21:43:51 GMT, Ron Hardin
wrote:

What Dell laptops support a 1920x1200 24" monitor (Dell 2407WFP)?

How is the monitor connected to the laptop? (what sort of jack)

They say the system needs to support it but are unhelpful about
whether theirs does.

Whether a given laptop "supports a 1920 x 1200 24" monitor" depends on
what you want the laptop to do, the video hardware, and the laptop
hardware.

Even if you can set the laptop to that resolution in the control
panel, if your application is demanding it may not display it well, so
in practical terms, it might not "support it".

My 640m has integrated graphics (Intel 950), Core 2 Duo, and a
7200rmp hard drive.

It displays non-video-intensive graphics tasks very well.

Additionally, it can acceptably diaplay a movie on a 1080p monitor
without any problems, although if you are going to do that with a
laptop a dedicated graphics card might do a better job.

When you move into gaming with intensive graphics, you will more
likely benefit from a good dedicated video card and good processor.

I don't know if a 7200rpm hard drive helps with any display tasks. I
would imagine it would, if a game uses hard drive or if you are
playing video from a hard drive.

Almost all laptops use a VGA connection. I imagine there are some
with a DVI connection, and rareley or in the future some with HDMI
(?). For all practical purposes though, right now I think VGA is the
connection you are most likely to have.
Old July 9th 07, 01:33 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

wrote:

[...]

Actually I just need it for text display from telnet output, not
very demanding, but using all the space for various windows.

It's getting cramped on my 17" monitor, and I thought maybe it's
time to move up after ten years.

Some other things have to happen before I retire this win95 desktop
machine though, like figuring out a command line interface for
Real Producer, to encode audio the way I like it at 8.5kbs.

Real Encoder does it nicely in win95. I have to move that app over
somehow.

--
Ron Hardin

Old July 9th 07, 05:19 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

wrote:

[...]

Ron -- if you're interested in it for text display from telnet, 1) the
computer will handle it with no problems whatsoever and 2) you will
love the extra screen real estate. I did some Java programming on
Windows and Unix via Telnet and loved to do it on my large display (at
that time it was a 20", so a 24" is even better). I also had to do
things via DOS - as much as 3 DOS sessions at a time along with
Windows and Unix. The large screen size made a huge difference in how
fun it was and how productive I was.