"Seagate Confirms World's Largest Hard Disk Drive on Track for December"

Old September 28th 20, 06:51 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

Default "Seagate Confirms World's Largest Hard Disk Drive on Track for December"

"Seagate Confirms World's Largest Hard Disk Drive on Track for December"

https://www.pcmag.com/news/seagate-c...k-for-december

"Seagate's first HAMR drives will feature a whopping 20TB capacity when
they debut later this year."

That there is one big hard drive.

Isn't one of the older file systems limited to 16 TB ? Or am I thinking
16 PB ?

Lynn
Old September 28th 20, 11:11 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Mark Perkins

On Mon, 28 Sep 2020 12:51:11 -0500, Lynn McGuire
wrote:

"Seagate Confirms World's Largest Hard Disk Drive on Track for December"

https://www.pcmag.com/news/seagate-c...k-for-december

"Seagate's first HAMR drives will feature a whopping 20TB capacity when
they debut later this year."

That there is one big hard drive.

That article had a link to an article from February that teased about the
possibility of an 80TB drive. Now we're getting somewhere.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/next-gen-...tb-hard-drives

Isn't one of the older file systems limited to 16 TB ? Or am I thinking
16 PB ?

You might be thinking of FAT32?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...systems#Limits

Old September 29th 20, 08:07 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

wrote:

"Seagate Confirms World's Largest Hard Disk Drive on Track for December"

https://www.pcmag.com/news/seagate-c...k-for-december

"Seagate's first HAMR drives will feature a whopping 20TB capacity when
they debut later this year."

That there is one big hard drive.

That article had a link to an article from February that teased about the
possibility of an 80TB drive. Now we're getting somewhere.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/next-gen-...tb-hard-drives

Isn't one of the older file systems limited to 16 TB ? Or am I thinking
16 PB ?

You might be thinking of FAT32?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...systems#Limits

It was one of the Unix or Linux file systems from way back.

Lynn

Old October 3rd 20, 04:52 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Mon, 28 Sep 2020 12:51:11 -0500, Lynn McGuire lynnmcguire5@gmail
wrote:

"Seagate Confirms World's Largest Hard Disk Drive on Track for December"

https://www.pcmag.com/news/seagate-c...k-for-december

"Seagate's first HAMR drives will feature a whopping 20TB capacity when
they debut later this year."

That there is one big hard drive.

That article had a link to an article from February that teased about the
possibility of an 80TB drive. Now we're getting somewhere.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/next-gen-...tb-hard-drives

Isn't one of the older file systems limited to 16 TB ? Or am I thinking
16 PB ?

You might be thinking of FAT32?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...systems#Limits

It was one of the Unix or Linux file systems from way back.

Lynn

ext2 with 4k blocksize
I think ext2 is only used on USB flash drives nowadays
Old October 4th 20, 12:17 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Computer Nerd Kev

wrote:

"Seagate Confirms World's Largest Hard Disk Drive on Track for December"

https://www.pcmag.com/news/seagate-c...k-for-december

"Seagate's first HAMR drives will feature a whopping 20TB capacity when
they debut later this year."

That there is one big hard drive.

That article had a link to an article from February that teased about the
possibility of an 80TB drive. Now we're getting somewhere.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/next-gen-...tb-hard-drives

Isn't one of the older file systems limited to 16 TB ? Or am I thinking
16 PB ?

You might be thinking of FAT32?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...systems#Limits

It was one of the Unix or Linux file systems from way back.

Lynn

ext2 with 4k blocksize

But it can have 8k blocksize and go up to 32TB, so that doesn't
realy mean anything (and also applies to ext3).

ReiserFS is probaby the one that's limited to 16TB, though now
there's Reiser4 except that the Linux kernel devs don't want to
support it, and I'm not sure what its maximum is.
https://reiser4.wiki.kernel.org/inde...ize.2C_etc..3F

--
__ __
#_ |\| | _#
Old October 5th 20, 09:39 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Tuesday, September 29, 2020 at 1:51:15 AM UTC+8, Lynn McGuire wrote:
"Seagate Confirms World's Largest Hard Disk Drive on Track for December"

https://www.pcmag.com/news/seagate-c...k-for-december

"Seagate's first HAMR drives will feature a whopping 20TB capacity when
they debut later this year."

20 TB without shingles will be worthwhile to some.
After some ferreting around, I discovered read/write speed will be 261 MB/s
Most 'enterprise' drives are around 250. Seems it will have multi-actuator
apparatus that improves serving up small files.