OpenGL Application: FrameNumber for examining display monitors !

Old March 1st 21, 04:47 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
skybuck2000

Default OpenGL Application: FrameNumber for examining display monitors !

Hello,

Today I wrote a simple Microsoft Windows opengl 3.0 application for inspecting frame numbers, frames per second.

I was wondering if maybe monitors drop frames like internet packets, maybe as a way to cheat. So far I also recorded some high speed camera footage with powershot hs sx50 or whatever, which can shoot 250 fps per second.

The application is here, which displays a white increasing number, one increment per frame, it's v-synched and all, so it should be able to adept to whatever the frame rate is set of the monitor/video card refresh rate and such:

Multiple download options:

Direct link to zipfile:
http://www.skybuck.org/Applications/...ameCounter.zip

Link to folder:
http://www.skybuck.org/Applications/FrameNumber/

Link to zipped folder:
http://www.skybuck.org/Applications/...mber/Unzipped/

Link to executables:
http://www.skybuck.org/Applications/...mber/Unzipped/

I recommend installing a graphics card driver before attemping to run it. Also it is not multi-threaded and it simply uses the main thread of Delphi's VCL, sometimes this might lockup or something on my laptop, not sure why, this app might require administrator level access to be able to run, not sure, just try a couple of times if you have any troubles starting it, make sure to terminate it later if it doesn't run properly. I haven't isolated the source of this problem yet if it occurs, usually after bootup of laptop.

Anyway here is also some camera footage of toshiba laptop and also a fujitsu-siemens monitor:

http://www.skybuck.org/Applications/...dVideos250FPS/

I hope to be buying a new PC soon which will ofcourse require a new monitor as well. The last PC I bought was 14 years ago ! Holy**** !

I am very much interested in monitor quality !

So if you happen to have a high speed video camera like mine and you believe you have a top monitor then do a little test, run this frame counter application and then record it, put the video somewhere on the internet and send me a reply in this forum or via e-mail: skybuck2000 at hotmail dot com.

And I will look at your video ! Hopefully it's not infected with a video virus ! =D

I am curious to the gray to gray times. I have also noticed red to green to blue times and a struggle for this particular cheap monitor which was bought by a priest and given to my MOTHER ! =D

Anyway, maybe I will make another application for that, I kinda already have one it's simply displaying random reds and greens and blue pixels at their maximum intensity and then simply scroll it, which ofcourse does require opengl for fast rendering, and this will show the reds greens and blue going dark as the screen scrolls ! Which kinda sucks about this futjisue monitor.