TVs with computer inputs, vs computer monitors with TV tuners...?

Old September 29th 09, 09:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Dan Lenski

Default TVs with computer inputs, vs computer monitors with TV tuners...?

Hi all,
This is kind of a general question, but one I've been wondering about...
I'd like to get an LCD that I can use as both a computer monitor *and* a
TV. I see that nearly all 1080p LCD "TVs" now have VGA and PC audio
inputs, while a few LCD "computer monitors" include built-in TV tuners.

For example, here's a 32" 1080p LCD "TV" I'm considering (http://
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889005063) while here's a 24"
1920x1200 LCD "monitor" (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?
Item=N82E16824001280).

So... is there any *difference* between a TV with a monitor input, and a
monitor with a TV tuner? The TV is larger, slightly lower-resolution,
and has more speaker power... but there doesn't seem to be any difference
beyond that. They both have HDMI, VGA, PC audio inputs, remote controls,
and similar styling.

Is there any difference in the LCD panel quality, or power usage, or
anything else beyond the advertised specifications??? Or is the
distinction between a TV and a monitor just marketing in these cases?

Thanks for any advice,

Dan
Old September 29th 09, 10:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
David W. Hodgins

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 16:54:08 -0400, Dan Lenski wrote:

So... is there any *difference* between a TV with a monitor input, and a
monitor with a TV tuner? The TV is larger, slightly lower-resolution,

One problem I've seen, it that an lcd tv will not support some video modes,
so for example, bios setup has to be done with a real monitor.

As long as you have a regular monitor available for those occasions where
you have to change some setting in the bios setup, the lcd tv will usually
be ok, as a replacement for a monitor.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Old September 30th 09, 01:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 20:54:08 +0000 (UTC), Dan Lenski
wrote:

[...]

For computer use, a larger TV, even at same resolution, will
produce a blockier looking image by virtue of it's larger
pixel pitch.

If you sit far enough away from it, this is fine. If you
don't, pictures start to look poor. The question is not
easily answered, if you want it as a tv you may sit further
away and have a different viewing angle making some TVs
superior to (TN type) LCD monitors.

Generally speaking, I would opt for a regular monitor and
put a TV tuner in the PC, that way you also have recording
capability... but for extended viewing get a PC card with a
wireless remote, so the only tradeoff you make is a little
more power consumption to leave the PC on to watch TV, or
vice-versa, if the power consumption is a primary concern
then a TV with integral tuner makes that possible.

Overall though, we can only generalize so much, different PC
monitors have different visual quality and the same is true
for TVs. View them in a store to know if it suits your
needs.
Old September 30th 09, 03:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Brian Cryer[_2_]

"Dan Lenski" wrote in message
Hi all,
This is kind of a general question, but one I've been wondering about...
I'd like to get an LCD that I can use as both a computer monitor *and* a
TV. I see that nearly all 1080p LCD "TVs" now have VGA and PC audio
inputs, while a few LCD "computer monitors" include built-in TV tuners.

snip
Is there any difference in the LCD panel quality, or power usage, or
anything else beyond the advertised specifications??? Or is the
distinction between a TV and a monitor just marketing in these cases?

At the very least probably contrast ratio and response time. A good quality
LCD TV will have a high contrast ratio and fast response time, whereas
neither of these are normally considered as important for monitors.

If you want to use it as a TV then I suggest you see it in a shop first
(even if you buy on-line) because when you can see TVs next to each other
the quality differences between them can become aparent. (Be aware of course
that most shops feed a poor quality signal into each tv ...)

HTH.
--
Brian Cryer
www.cryer.co.uk/brian

Old September 30th 09, 08:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 15:34:38 +0100, "Brian Cryer"
not.here@localhost wrote:

"Dan Lenski" wrote in message
Hi all,
This is kind of a general question, but one I've been wondering about...
I'd like to get an LCD that I can use as both a computer monitor *and* a
TV. I see that nearly all 1080p LCD "TVs" now have VGA and PC audio
inputs, while a few LCD "computer monitors" include built-in TV tuners.

snip
Is there any difference in the LCD panel quality, or power usage, or
anything else beyond the advertised specifications??? Or is the
distinction between a TV and a monitor just marketing in these cases?

At the very least probably contrast ratio and response time. A good quality
LCD TV will have a high contrast ratio and fast response time, whereas
neither of these are normally considered as important for monitors.

Well, "good" monitors have high contrast and reasonably fast
response too... possibly not as fast as a tv, but if you
need the higher resolution a lot of people find them fast
enough for gaming and watching videos for example. Just
avoid the TN panels to keep more contrast.

If you want to use it as a TV then I suggest you see it in a shop first
(even if you buy on-line) because when you can see TVs next to each other
the quality differences between them can become aparent. (Be aware of course
that most shops feed a poor quality signal into each tv ...)

Good advice, only comparing two side by side are the large
differences so easily noticed.