Dual Xeon 2.4 GHz to AMD X2 5200 upgrade?

Old September 23rd 09, 03:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Steve

Default Dual Xeon 2.4 GHz to AMD X2 5200 upgrade?

Hello,

I am currently using a dual Xeon 2.4 GHz, with a Iwill DH800 motherboard.
I have a chance to buy an HP desktop with an AMD X2 5200.

Both units have 3 gigs ram. Assuming roughly the same video card will I
see any increase in speed?

I searched for benchmarks on the web but couldn't really find 2 that used
the same tests to compare.

If it helps I run Linux and use WinXP on occasion under Virtualbox.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Old September 23rd 09, 08:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Steve wrote:
Hello,

I am currently using a dual Xeon 2.4 GHz, with a Iwill DH800 motherboard.
I have a chance to buy an HP desktop with an AMD X2 5200.

Both units have 3 gigs ram. Assuming roughly the same video card will I
see any increase in speed?

I searched for benchmarks on the web but couldn't really find 2 that used
the same tests to compare.

If it helps I run Linux and use WinXP on occasion under Virtualbox.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

The chances of finding those two processors, in the same chart, are pretty slim :-)

*******

This is the nearest equivalent to your motherboard.

http://support.asus.com.tw/cpusuppor...pc-dl%20deluxe

I notice at least some of the processors have 512KB cache, so maybe they're similar
to a Northwood.

Note - you can actually run the this benchmark on your own machine, to refine the
number for the Xeon. So you can do better than my first pick.

http://www.xtremesystems.com/pi/super_pi_mod-1.5.zip

This is SuperPI 32M result for P4 2.4GHz, FSB533, 512KB L2. Compare to your own result.
1h 14min 1sec 80ms = 4441.08 seconds

http://hwbot.org/result.do?resultId=801547

For the AMD processor, my first problem, is picking exactly the right one.
For example, there is an Athlon X2 5200B running at 2.7GHz here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...icroprocessors

This one is overclocked slightly, so the results will have to be
scaled. So this is an approximation.

Athlon 64 5200+ X2 ... @ 2860mhz
SuperPi 32m - 28min 22sec 380ms = 1702.38 sec * 2860/2700 = 1803 sec

http://hwbot.org/result.do?resultId=688533

Taking the ratio gives 4441 sec / 1803 sec = 2.46x

That is a single threaded benchmark, comparing one core and its
ability to complete the benchmark.

If you don't like my picks, you can have a look around the hwbot.org
site and pick two better examples.

Paul
Old September 24th 09, 09:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
darklight

Paul wrote:

Steve wrote:
[...]

because of the fsb the amd should in theory be faster
Old September 24th 09, 08:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Steve

Thanks Paul

I think I'll hold off and pay a little more.

Steve

Old September 24th 09, 08:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Steve

Thanks.

I will wait a little longer and pay more to get a faster system.

Steve

Quad Core Xeon plus Dual Core Xeon? Gerry_uk General 11 May 5th 07 12:39 AM
Dual-Core Xeon vs 2 seperate Xeon on Motherboard [email protected] Intel 6 May 2nd 06 05:39 PM
Dual Xeon rizzi Homebuilt PC's 3 December 15th 05 06:36 AM
Dual Core vs Dual Xeon Ozo Intel 1 April 16th 05 03:58 PM
dual g5 vs dual opteron vs dual xeon for video encoding the augur General Hardware 12 September 2nd 04 12:21 AM