vertical lines on tv

Old December 29th 05, 03:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.repair,alt.cable-tv,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

Default vertical lines on tv

Hello. I'm using ATI's tv wonder ve, which I have been using without
any problems for over a year. A few months ago I started getting
vertical lines on all channels. The tv tuner card is connected to
cable tv, with the reception being fine on the other tv it is connected
to. Are the lines I'm getting due to the tuner, or interference of
some sort?

Here are some screenshots of the problem
http://www.geocities.com/tom24_ca/lines1.bmp
http://www.geocities.com/tom24_ca/lines2.bmp

Thanks
Tom

Old December 29th 05, 03:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.repair,alt.cable-tv,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello. I'm using ATI's tv wonder ve, which I have been using without
any problems for over a year. A few months ago I started getting
vertical lines on all channels. The tv tuner card is connected to
cable tv, with the reception being fine on the other tv it is connected
to. Are the lines I'm getting due to the tuner, or interference of
some sort?

Here are some screenshots of the problem
http://www.geocities.com/tom24_ca/lines1.bmp
http://www.geocities.com/tom24_ca/lines2.bmp

Could be that the TV signal is too strong, or that there is "ingress".

If possible, swap the cable between the computer and TV and see if the
interference moves - that means bad cable or splitter. Could also just be a
loose connection or bad cable end.

Old December 29th 05, 07:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.repair,alt.cable-tv,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

Noozer wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Hello. I'm using ATI's tv wonder ve, which I have been using without
any problems for over a year. A few months ago I started getting
vertical lines on all channels. The tv tuner card is connected to
cable tv, with the reception being fine on the other tv it is connected
to. Are the lines I'm getting due to the tuner, or interference of
some sort?

Here are some screenshots of the problem
http://www.geocities.com/tom24_ca/lines1.bmp
http://www.geocities.com/tom24_ca/lines2.bmp

Could be that the TV signal is too strong, or that there is "ingress".

If possible, swap the cable between the computer and TV and see if the
interference moves - that means bad cable or splitter. Could also just be a
loose connection or bad cable end.

That's what I would suggest. One sure way to check ingress is to tune
the tv to a channel that you can get off air. If it is worse, or if only
off air channels have the problem then you have an ingress issue. Check
for loose connections, bad splitter, or even an exposed core (especially
if you have a high squirrel population).
Old December 29th 05, 08:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.repair,alt.cable-tv,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

"MTBlood" wrote in message
for loose connections, bad splitter, or even an exposed core (especially
if you have a high squirrel population).

What do they make your cables out of... the Squirrel population there must
be especially mal-nourished! I've seen such lines caused by power supply
issues within the PC but I'd also check alternative inputs (such as testing
the PC at a friends house) before going down the PSU path.

Old December 29th 05, 10:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.repair,alt.cable-tv,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

vertical lines are a symptom of interference at or very near the
horizontal rate.

Do the lines move slowly or are they still?

My guess is that the shield has come loose on the F connector of the RF
cable feeding the tuner and is picking up interference from the logic
circuits in the computer or from the sweep circuit in the monitor.

Mark

Old December 29th 05, 11:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.repair,alt.cable-tv,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

Paul Murphy wrote:
"MTBlood" wrote in message

for loose connections, bad splitter, or even an exposed core (especially
if you have a high squirrel population).

What do they make your cables out of... the Squirrel population there must
be especially mal-nourished! I've seen such lines caused by power supply
issues within the PC but I'd also check alternative inputs (such as testing
the PC at a friends house) before going down the PSU path.

I've seen drops chewed almost in two because of squirrels. Ingress is
horrible at that point. When a sub calls with a particular channel out I
check the drop and 9 times out of 10 it is chewed.
Old December 30th 05, 09:40 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.repair,alt.cable-tv,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

MTBlood wrote:

Paul Murphy wrote:
"MTBlood" wrote in message

for loose connections, bad splitter, or even an exposed core (especially
if you have a high squirrel population).

What do they make your cables out of... the Squirrel population there must
be especially mal-nourished! I've seen such lines caused by power supply
issues within the PC but I'd also check alternative inputs (such as testing
the PC at a friends house) before going down the PSU path.

I've seen drops chewed almost in two because of squirrels. Ingress is
horrible at that point. When a sub calls with a particular channel out I
check the drop and 9 times out of 10 it is chewed.

We had some .750 super trunk cable chewed so bad that the remaining
aluminum fused and took out over half of our cable system. The damaged
cable was replaced, and the squirrels chewed through the new wire in
less than a week. After that repair they smeared the wire with poison
to stop the chewing. Our guys were tired of the emergency repairs at a
busy intersection near downtown Cincinnati, oh.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old December 31st 05, 07:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.repair,alt.cable-tv,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

Thanks for the replies. The lines are stationary and spaced about a
quarter of an inch apart. I just took out the tv tuner, and replaced
the cable to rca adapter that was in there. It seems to have made a
noticeable difference, although I still can faintly see the lines on
higher channels. I think the problem is either with the tuner, or EM
interference. Maybe shielding of some sort will help.