HP IIIP Error 52 - Does anybody know ?

Old October 23rd 05, 07:22 PM
Peter Kowalski

Default HP IIIP Error 52 - Does anybody know ?

When we're starting to print on our old HP Laserjet III P it trys to start
and shows an error 52 on the screen.
Even the own print test without the link to any computer shows the same
result.
We know, this is an old and rusty machine, but it still worked.
Does anyone know what that error 52 means and what to do ?
Thanx foe helping.

Old October 23rd 05, 08:27 PM
Tony

Peter Kowalski wrote:
When we're starting to print on our old HP Laserjet III P it trys to start
and shows an error 52 on the screen.
Even the own print test without the link to any computer shows the same
result.
We know, this is an old and rusty machine, but it still worked.
Does anyone know what that error 52 means and what to do ?
Thanx foe helping.

Error 52 is a laser scanner error. When you turn the printer on you should hear
a distinctive whine as the scanner winds up to speed, if you can hear it then
the scanner has failed because it does not reach full speed. If you can not
hear it then either there is a connector that is making poor contact or the
scanner has failed or the PCA (main logic board) has failed.
Only thing you can do is take the covers off and unplug and reconnect all of
the cables you can get at; if that does not fix it then the cost of parts will
exceed the cost of a second hand laser that is much newer.
Tony
Old October 24th 05, 02:56 PM
kipper

The manual says "52 ERROR - Hold down the ALT key and click the Continue
key to resume printing. If the error persists, service is required"

Old October 24th 05, 07:30 PM
.

Thanks a lot you both.
I will try that next weekend when there is plenty of time.
The idea of unplugging all the cables sounds a little strange, but when this
is the only way...
Anyway, like you said, the printer is not worth the fixing costs !

Old October 24th 05, 07:32 PM
Tony

Tony wrote in message news
Peter Kowalski wrote:
[...]

Yes that is all the user manual will say, the service manual is more explicit.
Error 52 is always a laser scanner error with HP Laserjets, HP mostly use a set
of universal error codes.
Tony
Old October 24th 05, 07:38 PM
Tony

"." wrote:
Thanks a lot you both.
I will try that next weekend when there is plenty of time.
The idea of unplugging all the cables sounds a little strange, but when this
is the only way...
Anyway, like you said, the printer is not worth the fixing costs !

Unplugging cables and reconnecting them will clean the contacts "if" that is
the problem, it is standard practice and much cheaper than throwing away a
printer for just a poor contact. If that does not work you have, I am afraid a
dead printer that is not worth repairing.
Tony
Old October 25th 05, 10:13 PM
Peter Kowalski

Now I read, that the scanner motor might also been burned through...
So let's open the box...

Old October 26th 05, 05:33 AM
Tony

Peter Kowalski wrote:
Now I read, that the scanner motor might also been burned through...
So let's open the box...

Yes if the scanner motor has failed that will cause the error, in fact the
motor is the most likely failure in the scanner assembly.
If you are going to open the printer a service manual will help.
Go to http://www.eserviceinfo.com/equipment_mfg/HP_22.html and download HP
LaserJet Classics II III.part01.rar this is a multipart file and you will need
all eleven parts. This file is at the bottom of the page, there are similar
files higher up the page but these appear to be incomplete.
Good luck
Tony