Partition Utility

Old May 30th 05, 05:03 AM

I suggest you try Super Fdisk!
Super Fdisk is a driven disk partitioning utility. With Super Fdisk you
can quickly and easily create, delete, format partitions on
IDE/ATA/SATA/SCSI hard disk drives without destroying data. Super Fdisk
manages for Windows 95/98/Me, MS-DOS, Freedos.

more info : http://www.ptdd.com/manual2.htm

Old May 30th 05, 11:05 AM
Bob

On Sun, 29 May 2005 22:00:28 -0400, "Peter"
wrote:

But why you insist on using DLG? Is there a reason for that?

It worked.

Will backup occur if you leave your system in the BIOS screen,
or boot with DOS floppy?
(I mean no Windows running, but PC powered up)

No.

So "s/w scheduler" gets corrupted, Enermax will not do
the Backup?

Yes.

Then backup is not entirely hardware based

The copy part is.

You could. What was the result?

It worked.

That indeed is weird.

Unexplained.

I must be doing something to screw things up. I am trying a lot of
thing out.

Did you scanned your disks outside of
Enermax to see if they are healthy?

No.

I agree with you. It is an interesting product and it had quite good
reviews.

I have not seen any reviews. Can you point me to some of the more
significant ones.

Enermax also has a SATA unit for those into that technology.

--

Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If you are reading it in English, thank an American soldier.

Old May 30th 05, 12:26 PM
Peter

But why you insist on using DLG? Is there a reason for that?

It worked.

Except that Windows error when it sets Active flag on.

Then backup is not entirely hardware based

The copy part is.

Presumably. You would need to start backup and
shutdown Windows to test it.

You could. What was the result?

It worked.

Great, you must have all 3 drives the same size then.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20476
http://www.coolergiant.co.uk/review/...CE-RAID352.jpg

Old May 30th 05, 03:08 PM
Bob

On Mon, 30 May 2005 07:26:42 -0400, "Peter"
wrote:

But why you insist on using DLG? Is there a reason for that?

It worked.

Except that Windows error when it sets Active flag on.

Yep. That's why I needed a utility like MBR Wizard to clear the Active
bit. Once I did that, it all worked (but I had to remove the failed
driver first to prevent Win2K from re-attaching it).

Then backup is not entirely hardware based

The copy part is.

Presumably. You would need to start backup and
shutdown Windows to test it.

I presume you mean "shut down Windows in the middle of a backup".

Yes, I have done that too. The result is as you would expect - the
backup disk is corrupted beyond use.

You could. What was the result?

It worked.

Great, you must have all 3 drives the same size then.

Enermax claims that the target (RAID mirror or backup disk) must be
the same size or larger.

One of the things I do not like about the Enermax is that it copies
the entire source disk, including unused space. That's great if you
want to preserve deleted files but the user does not want to do that
all the time. There should be a checkbox to let the user decide.

Another thing I may have mentioned is that when you insert the target
into its bay and lock it down, the s/w begins a backup whether you
wanted it or not - and there is no Stop button available as with RAID.
I have to kill the DynaView process in Task Manager, which may be the
reason I have corrupted the source a couple of times.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=20476
http://www.coolergiant.co.uk/review/...CE-RAID352.jpg

Thanks.

Old May 30th 05, 03:24 PM
Peter

Thank you Bob for sharing your experiences with Enermax 352 DynaBack.

Old May 30th 05, 05:35 PM
Bob

On Mon, 30 May 2005 10:24:04 -0400, "Peter"
wrote:

Thank you Bob for sharing your experiences with Enermax 352 DynaBack.

Please understand that I am not endorsing the unit - I am evaluating
it. Hopefully if I pass along my experiences I can save someone from
some of the pitfalls I have experienced.

For example since I last commented on the unit, I tried to make a
backup out of a RAID-1 layoff. I set the s/w for RAID and let it
create the RAID mirror on the target. When it was all over I tried to
use the target to boot. I got disk errors. So I am going to use the
Backup setting for backups.

I thought it would be neat to let the unit keep making the mirror
until such time that you were going to do something radical to your
machine, in which case you would stop the mirror thereby creating a
backup frozen at a time prior to any potential trouble. If you had to
recover from the mirror disk it would be the absolute latest copy
possible. But alas, I could not get it to work reliably.

Old May 30th 05, 05:58 PM
Bob

wrote:

Thank you Bob for sharing your experiences with Enermax 352 DynaBack.

Is that a diplomatic way of saying that you have had enough? :-)

Old May 30th 05, 06:03 PM
Rod Speed

Bob wrote in message
Peter wrote

Then backup is not entirely hardware based

The copy part is.

Cant be, otherwise you wouldnt get the effect below.

Presumably. You would need to start
backup and shutdown Windows to test it.

I presume you mean "shut down Windows in the middle of a backup".

Yes, I have done that too. The result is as you would
expect - the backup disk is corrupted beyond use.

Then the copy part ISNT entirely hardware based at all.

You could. What was the result?

It worked.

Great, you must have all 3 drives the same size then.

Enermax claims that the target (RAID mirror
or backup disk) must be the same size or larger.

One of the things I do not like about the Enermax is that it copies
the entire source disk, including unused space. That's great if you
want to preserve deleted files but the user does not want to do that
all the time. There should be a checkbox to let the user decide.

How is hardware sposed to work out what is free space ?

Another thing I may have mentioned is that when you insert the
target into its bay and lock it down, the s/w begins a backup
whether you wanted it or not - and there is no Stop button available
as with RAID. I have to kill the DynaView process in Task Manager,

Then the copy part ISNT entirely hardware based at all.

which may be the reason I have corrupted the source a couple of times.

Urk, how utterly obscene.

Old May 30th 05, 07:00 PM
Peter

Thank you Bob for sharing your experiences with Enermax 352 DynaBack.

Is that a diplomatic way of saying that you have had enough? :-)

Not at all. I just wanted to say that I appreciate your detailed comments
about this product.

If you have additional ideas or issues with this product, please let us
know.

Old May 30th 05, 10:50 PM
Bob

On Mon, 30 May 2005 14:00:32 -0400, "Peter"
wrote:

Thank you Bob for sharing your experiences with Enermax 352 DynaBack.

Is that a diplomatic way of saying that you have had enough? :-)

Not at all. I just wanted to say that I appreciate your detailed comments
about this product.

If you have additional ideas or issues with this product, please let us
know.

Here's some more. The instructions warn you not to turn off the
DynaView engine unless absolutely necessary for low-level disk
operations like Norton Disk Doctor, et al. I have noticed that some
low-level functions like SMART monitors will cause DynaView to stop on
its own without warning.

The instructions, and the popup warning, when you initiate the
shutdown, state that you should not insert/remove any disks from the
unit.

I am beginning to suspect that the cause of the corruption of the main
disk on those two occasions I mentioned have been caused by not having
DynaView operational, in which case the unit does not know how to shut
down properly. That possibly causes the pagefile to become corrupted,
which is what CHKDSK reports when it attempts to fix things.