NVidia 6600 GT rendering black/white on TV

Old January 29th 05, 06:53 PM
Fancypants

Default NVidia 6600 GT rendering black/white on TV

Hello,

I have a NVidia 6600 GT set to 'Clone Display'.
When booting Windows, the Windows XP startup screen as wel as my bios
screens are rendered in color. After logging in to Windows the output to
the TV is rendered black and white.
Switching PAL/NTSC modes makes no difference.
Switching to other screen resolutions and refresh rates makes no
difference either.

When I remove the NVidia drivers, everything is rendered in Color
(however, the screen is flickering).

Does someone have a solution to this?

Arthur
Old January 30th 05, 07:43 PM
Veritech

I had the same problem when i used my 9600pro on my tv, i believe its simply
a case of lowering the refresh rate to 50hz or below. However if you tv
isn't a) Cheap, or b) "crap" this might not solve the problem.

but give the refresh rate thingy a try and see if it works.

gd luck

Old January 31st 05, 07:37 AM
Chris Streeter

I actually ran into that problem last night, i'm running an fx 5600 in my
3rd machine that i use to watch movies i've recorded with my tv tuner card.
i'm using the starstorm 56.72 drivers i believe. the only way i was able to
fix it was to go into nview tab, click on my tv, device settings, select tv
format,then advanced settings on the bottom of that menu, in that area i
change the output format from auto detect to s-video. when that setting is
set to auto or to composite video my colors are gone, it's just black and
white, but when i use svideo output my colors are great. btw i am also using
a svideo to composite video adapter
hope that helps some.

Old February 1st 05, 12:11 AM
Richard Cavell

On 31/1/05 6:37 PM, Chris Streeter wrote:
I actually ran into that problem last night, i'm running an fx 5600 in my
3rd machine that i use to watch movies i've recorded with my tv tuner card.
i'm using the starstorm 56.72 drivers i believe. the only way i was able to
fix it was to go into nview tab, click on my tv, device settings, select tv
format,then advanced settings on the bottom of that menu, in that area i
change the output format from auto detect to s-video. when that setting is
set to auto or to composite video my colors are gone, it's just black and
white, but when i use svideo output my colors are great. btw i am also using

I don't know if this is relevant, but I used to have problems with a
GeForce 4200. Essentially, when I configured it to display two monitors
- my DVI output and the S-video output, the DVI output was set up as
primary. This meant that some of the events that occurred on the
primary monitor didn't end up on the S-video output. I believe this was
due to the difficulty of accelerating the second output to keep up with
the first.

So the solution was to select the S-video output as the primary output.
Then it rendered perfectly well.
Old February 9th 05, 07:24 PM
Mike

I've also got this black and white problem on my TV, but my card is an
FX5900.
The annoying thing is that when I bought the S-Video lead last year,
hooked it up to my DVD player (there's no direct S-vid on the TV) and
then turned on for the first time, I had colour.
It stayed that way for months, and I never had any problem.
But after the TV went for a repair to its power supply (NOTHING to do
with the picture, so I cannot imagine how that would have affected
it), the picture from the PC was in black and white the next time I
switched to it.
I've now got a DVD recorder with an S-video input, so I hooked my PC
feed into that unit instead - the picture was still in B/W on the TV.
It also recorded in B/W, which I guess rules out any problems with the
DVD-TV connection.
I've checked the video output of the PC in the NVidia settings, which
is set to S-Video, and PAL (English), so it should all work.
This is driving me NUTS.
Any guidance would be appreciated.
Old February 9th 05, 08:55 PM
Neil J Bundy

Check you have the signal output set to SVHS as if you have it set to
Composite and use a SVHS cable you'll get B&W. Same vice-versa.

Also, does it make a difference if your DVD is set to RGB, SVHS or
composite output? Sometimes setting to RGB disables SVHS circuitry (you
didn't mention your kit type) internally.

Alternatively, check there's no macrovision stuff interfering at the PC
end. Maybe try rolling back the driver version, have you upgraded them?

Just my thoughts, hope they help.

Neil.

In message , Mike
writes

--
Neil J Bundy
Old February 11th 05, 08:34 PM
Mike

Neil J Bundy wrote in message ...
Check you have the signal output set to SVHS as if you have it set to
Composite and use a SVHS cable you'll get B&W. Same vice-versa.

Well I've done some fiddling about, and finally managed to get a
colour signal via the DVD recorder SVHS input. I had the output of the
PC set to I/Pal and S-VHS but it wasn't until I started moving the
brightness/contrast sliders around that colour suddenly came in.

But the picture was still in black and white when I hooked the cable
up to my 'main' DVD/amp.
So I tried switching the output from the PC to composite - and that
did the trick!
So I've got an S-VHS cable set to feed a composite signal.
Flamin' weird.
But at least it works.
Thanks for your reply - it inspired me to try again!
Old March 4th 05, 09:36 AM

I was getting just black and white after I updated the drivers for my
nVidia/GeForce; somehow the saturation was turned down to 0. Turning
it back up fixed the problem.

Old March 7th 05, 11:27 AM
Evert Meulie

Which is your current driver version (the one TV works with after you
fixed the saturation?)

Regards,
Evert

wrote:
I was getting just black and white after I updated the drivers for my
nVidia/GeForce; somehow the saturation was turned down to 0. Turning
it back up fixed the problem.

Nvidia 6600 256MB or 6600GT 128MB? Jeff Nvidia Videocards 6 October 13th 04 01:35 AM
Nvidia 6600 GT Dan Ati Videocards 1 August 17th 04 11:20 PM
Bad news for ATI: Nvidia to 'own' ATI at CeBit - no pixel shader 3.0 support in R420 (long) NV55 Nvidia Videocards 11 February 24th 04 06:29 AM
nVidia NV40, NV41, NV45 Information NV55 Nvidia Videocards 4 January 29th 04 02:02 PM