Windows 8.1 File Manager always opens to "This PC"?

Old June 15th 14, 03:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
John Doe[_9_]

Default Windows 8.1 File Manager always opens to "This PC"?

I tried taking a file manager shortcut from a prior installation
(probably worked in Windows 8.0). Put it on the desktop. Pinned it
to Start. From Start, pinned it to Taskbar. And thought I was
getting away with something. But... That shortcut puts another
icon on the taskbar whenever it's open. I've seen only one other
program do that.

Thing is, I want a file manager shortcut opening to drive D. And I
don't want to temporarily reproduce a taskbar icon whenever it's
open, it should work like the other taskbar icons. Or, in Windows
8.1, are we stuck with a file manager shortcut opening only to
"This PC"?

Thanks.
Old June 15th 14, 12:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Neil Gould

John Doe wrote:
I tried taking a file manager shortcut from a prior installation
(probably worked in Windows 8.0). Put it on the desktop. Pinned it
to Start. From Start, pinned it to Taskbar. And thought I was
getting away with something. But... That shortcut puts another
icon on the taskbar whenever it's open. I've seen only one other
program do that.

Thing is, I want a file manager shortcut opening to drive D. And I
don't want to temporarily reproduce a taskbar icon whenever it's
open, it should work like the other taskbar icons. Or, in Windows
8.1, are we stuck with a file manager shortcut opening only to
"This PC"?

I haven't thorougly tested this to verify all of the parameters you're
seeking, but ISTR that the file manager opens to the last place visited when
it's just minimized to the task bar instead of closed. For example, if your
last use was D:, and you minimize the app, it will show that location when
you re-open it. It reverts to "this PC" when it's closed, and I don't know
if the minimized state survives a restart, but OTOH, I can't imagine why one
would be concerned about that.
--
best regards,

Neil

Old June 15th 14, 12:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
dadiOH[_2_]

"John Doe" wrote in message

Thing is, I want a file manager shortcut opening to drive D. And I
don't want to temporarily reproduce a taskbar icon whenever it's
open, it should work like the other taskbar icons. Or, in Windows
8.1, are we stuck with a file manager shortcut opening only to
"This PC"?

I don't know about Win8.1 but doubt it varies from Win8 in this respect and
in Win8 one can easily make a shortcut to a drive - or anything else - by
selecting it in Windows Explorer and dragging it to the desk top. Put it
elsewhere if you wish, it will always open the target of the shortcut.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Old June 15th 14, 03:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
John Doe[_9_]

Ralph Fox -rf-nz- -.invalid wrote:

John Doe wrote:

I tried taking a file manager shortcut from a prior
installation (probably worked in Windows 8.0). Put it on the
desktop. Pinned it to Start. From Start, pinned it to Taskbar.
And thought I was getting away with something. But... That
shortcut puts another icon on the taskbar whenever it's open.
I've seen only one other program do that.

Thing is, I want a file manager shortcut opening to drive D.
And I don't want to temporarily reproduce a taskbar icon
whenever it's open, it should work like the other taskbar
icons. Or, in Windows 8.1, are we stuck with a file manager
shortcut opening only to "This PC"?

It is working for me in Win 8.1

1) Copy the file C:\Windows\explorer.exe
and "paste as shortcut" onto the desktop.

This creates a new file manager shortcut with an editable
"Target" field.

2) Change the shortcut's "Target" field
- from: C:\Windows\explorer.exe - to:
C:\Windows\explorer.exe /e,D:\

Now the new file manager shortcut always opens to drive D.

That looked good, but as explained in the first part of my
original message (re-included above)... Now try putting it on the
taskbar.

If you can get it on the taskbar, look to see whether it shows
another copy of the icon when you open the thing. That's not the
way it worked before.
Old June 15th 14, 03:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Toni

Open file manager, drag D:\ drive to desktop while holding right click and
choose create shortcut here.

"John Doe" escreveu na mensagem ...

Old June 15th 14, 04:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe[_9_]

Please try reading the post before replying...

From: "Toni" toni friday.exe
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 15:58:06 +0100

Open file manager, drag D:\ drive to desktop while holding right click and
choose create shortcut here.

"John Doe" escreveu na mensagem news:lnive4$e7l$1 dont-email.me...

Old June 15th 14, 05:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8,free.usenet,free.spirit
Toni

Why are you exposing my post properties? Feel a litle bit pursued. Thought
you wanted to create a file manager instance that opens directly in D drive.

Old June 15th 14, 06:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Keith Nuttle

John Doe wrote:

[...]

Based on the information in this thread I did what I have been trying to
do since I was forced into Windows 8, (now currently updated 8.1.)

I liked the jumplists and use them a lot. However I could never get the
jumplist to show the main Documents folder. I created a short cut to
Documents on the desk top, and then dragged it to the toolbar. Windows
8.1 pinned the short cut to the jumplist.

Now the main Document folder is accessible from the jumplist the same as
other frequently used folders.

PS: I don't know if the Jumplist was new to Windows 8 or existed in
Windows 7, but it is one of the best features in the operating system
as it allows quick access to the files and folders that I am using in my
current project. When the Project is complete, I can clear the
Jumplists and start on my next project/

Old June 15th 14, 06:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
dadiOH[_2_]

"John Doe" wrote in message

Ralph Fox -rf-nz- -.invalid wrote:

That looked good, but as explained in the first part of my
original message (re-included above)... Now try putting it on the
taskbar.

If you can get it on the taskbar, look to see whether it shows
another copy of the icon when you open the thing. That's not the
way it worked before.

Put the shortcut into a folder

Make a new toolbar on the taskbar pointing to the folder above.

--

dadiOH

Old June 15th 14, 06:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe[_9_]

The second idiotic post from this troll...

From: "dadiOH" dadiOH invalid.com
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 13:17:35 -0400

news:lnkc41$snj$2 dont-email.me