Transcend, Lexar or Kingston for USB drive?

Old November 23rd 09, 06:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,uk.comp.homebuilt
beccy

Default Transcend, Lexar or Kingston for USB drive?

Saw some branded 4gb USB sticks for £8 at Play.com
http://tinyurl.com/y9eqy45

Can't work out which one to get. Which of these is better?

Transcend JetFlash
Lexar JumpDrive
Kingston Data Traveler Mini Slim

Thanks.

Old November 23rd 09, 06:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,uk.comp.homebuilt
Jaimie Vandenbergh

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 18:18:06 GMT, beccy wrote:

Saw some branded 4gb USB sticks for £8 at Play.com
http://tinyurl.com/y9eqy45

Can't work out which one to get. Which of these is better?

Transcend JetFlash
Lexar JumpDrive
Kingston Data Traveler Mini Slim

At that price (ie cheap) they'll all be the same tech. All three are
top brand names. So go for the one that looks either sturdiest or
nicest.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"January 1, 2000 might well be the first day in over six years that
is _not_ in September 1993..." - M Grant in afp

But unfortunately, he was later found to be wrong.
Old November 23rd 09, 06:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,uk.comp.homebuilt
Chris Whelan

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 18:18:06 +0000, beccy wrote:

Saw some branded 4gb USB sticks for £8 at Play.com
http://tinyurl.com/y9eqy45

Can't work out which one to get. Which of these is better?

Transcend JetFlash
Lexar JumpDrive
Kingston Data Traveler Mini Slim

Thanks.

The Kingston one is *really* small, which may or may not be useful to you.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Old November 23rd 09, 11:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,uk.comp.homebuilt
John Jordan

Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:

Transcend JetFlash
Lexar JumpDrive
Kingston Data Traveler Mini Slim

At that price (ie cheap) they'll all be the same tech. All three are
top brand names. So go for the one that looks either sturdiest or
nicest.

Last time I tested 2-4GB sticks I found a huge variation in 4KB random
write rate even between the cheap sticks. It's not predictable by brand
though, and if you're not concerned about the speed of writing a lot of
small files then it doesn't matter much.

--
John Jordan
Old November 24th 09, 12:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,uk.comp.homebuilt
Adrian C

beccy wrote:
Transcend JetFlash
Lexar JumpDrive
Kingston Data Traveler Mini Slim

Which ever one has a design that ye can't easily lose the cap!

--
Adrian C
Old November 24th 09, 02:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,uk.comp.homebuilt
Rudy

"beccy" wrote in message
Saw some branded 4gb USB sticks for £8 at Play.com
http://tinyurl.com/y9eqy45

Can't work out which one to get. Which of these is better?

Transcend JetFlash
Lexar JumpDrive
Kingston Data Traveler Mini Slim

Thanks.

I have a Lexar 4gb and it doesn't have a cap. It unfolds like a pocket
knife. Works nice.

Rudy

Old November 24th 09, 02:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,uk.comp.homebuilt
kony

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 23:19:31 +0000, John Jordan
wrote:

Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:

Transcend JetFlash
Lexar JumpDrive
Kingston Data Traveler Mini Slim

At that price (ie cheap) they'll all be the same tech. All three are
top brand names. So go for the one that looks either sturdiest or
nicest.

Last time I tested 2-4GB sticks I found a huge variation in 4KB random
write rate even between the cheap sticks. It's not predictable by brand
though, and if you're not concerned about the speed of writing a lot of
small files then it doesn't matter much.

True, but Kingston are often slower at the low end price
category. The only way to be sure if you can't test them
yourself is look at reviews/benchmarks of exact models you
consider, my above generalization about Kingston is only
that, not solid enough to pick an alternative without any
data about how that alternative performs.
Old November 24th 09, 02:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,uk.comp.homebuilt
kony

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 00:01:38 +0000, Adrian C
wrote:

beccy wrote:
Transcend JetFlash
Lexar JumpDrive
Kingston Data Traveler Mini Slim

Which ever one has a design that ye can't easily lose the cap!

.... or just throw the cap away then you know exactly where
it went... seldom is a cap really needed, maybe if your
environment is subject to a lot of sand-storms.
Old November 24th 09, 08:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,uk.comp.homebuilt
Chris Whelan

beccy wrote:
Transcend JetFlash
Lexar JumpDrive
Kingston Data Traveler Mini Slim

Which ever one has a design that ye can't easily lose the cap!

That makes it an easy choice then; The Kingston doesn't have a cap.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Old November 24th 09, 08:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,uk.comp.homebuilt
Chris Whelan

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 21:46:50 -0500, Rudy wrote:

[...]

I have a Lexar 4gb and it doesn't have a cap. It unfolds like a pocket
knife. Works nice.

Rudy

Is it a Lexar JumpDrive though?

Pretty sure they have a cap...

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Transcend MP3 + FM Player - T.sonic 610 - 1 GB anny Storage & Hardrives 0 June 28th 08 09:12 AM
Anyone have experience with Transcend 2GB (or more) IDE Flash Drive (2.5 / 44pin) [email protected] Storage (alternative) 5 September 13th 06 10:09 AM
lexar jump drive DL General 1 June 15th 05 01:46 AM
Flash Drive (512mb): Lexar (JumpDrive Elite, Sport), or Sandisk (Micro, Mini)? Larry General Hardware 1 September 11th 04 01:41 AM
Inspiron 8200 incompatible with lexar Jump Drive (I think) Don Dell Computers 0 April 6th 04 04:15 PM