Laptop wont connect to WiFi network with security settings

Old October 5th 08, 03:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default Laptop wont connect to WiFi network with security settings

I have just bought a Dell XPS laptop but am unable to connect to my wireless
network unless I remove the security settings.

It will connect OK when the security type is set to no authentication with
the corresponding setting on the 3COM router however will not work with WPA
encryption. The network adaptor is an Intel WiFi Link 4965AGN.

The router settings a
Router settings (OfficeConnect 3COM ADSL Wireless 11g Firewall Router)
PPPoA
Channel: Auto
SSID Broadcast: Enable
Wireless Mode: 11g Only (also tried Mixed 11b + 11g and long rang mixed 11b
+ 11g)
g Nitro Enable (disabling does not make a difference)
WPA: WPA-PSK (no server) The only other WPA available is with Radius

I believe that all the other router settings are correct as they work with
the laptop with the WPA taken off.

I have another desktop which connects wirelessly its settings a
Windows XP
Raling RT2500 Wireless LAN Card
Network Authentication WPA-PSK
Data encryption TKIP

The laptop does not offer the exact corresponding settings
The network adaptor is an Intel WiFi Link 4965AGN
This connected OK when the security type was set to no authentication with
the corresponding setting on the 3COM router however will not work with
security type set to WPA-Personal (there is not WPA-PSK) with Encryption
type TKIP. I have tried all of the other WPA options.

As part of the set up I created a new 63 digit key and applied it to the
router, the wireless desktop and the laptop. This was done as a copy and
paste using a USB key and Notepad. I have taken care to not to miss off any
of the leading or trailing characters or to include any spaces.

It basically looks like this Dell wont work with WPA-PSK. Can anyone advise
a work around that doesn't compromise security and doesn't involve a new
router or using and Express card.

Thanks.

Old October 5th 08, 05:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 15:40:38 +0100, "M"
wrote:

[...]

I don't think this applies here but older wifi cards could not handle
WPA.

Any firewalls involved? If so, take them down temporarily. As a
last resort, you might try WEP which is better than nothing tho not as
good as WPA. Also, you might try to get the router to the default
settings in case you changed any.
Old October 5th 08, 09:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Shelly[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

USB plub in firewall?

Old October 6th 08, 02:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Fixer

wrote:

[...]

of course it works with WPA, this is down to fault with user not fault with
machine, and or a config issue. 1st try resetting the router to default
settings and then start again and make sure you set the router up using a
wired connection and RTFM that came with the router.

Old October 6th 08, 03:00 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

The OP might also have a hard look at what utility (Windows Zero or Intel
PRO-set) is managing the wireless connection.

Try mimicking the other Dell notebook's utility if possible (unless it has a
Dell/broadcom card), or try reverting to Windows zero to manage the
connection.

Old October 6th 08, 03:34 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
alien

"M" wrote in message
[...]

I think I'd ditch the 63 digit key for now and try setting it up with
something like 1234 as the key. That way you don't have to cut and paste
anything in case that might be messing something up. Then if it works with
the small key you could try a bigger one.

alien

alien

Old October 6th 08, 03:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Kevin Childers

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
. ..

wrote:

[...]

Err that would be using the "Windows Wireless Zero Configuration Service"
maybe???

Old October 6th 08, 04:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"Kevin Childers" wrote in message

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
. ..

wrote:

[...]

Correct. I just got lazy. In "services", it's listed as "Wireless Zero
Configuration".

Old October 6th 08, 04:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"alien" wrote in message

"M" wrote in message
[...]

Not a bad idea either, though I'd probably try a 20-30 character generated
WPA-PSK key.

Sometimes those full key lengths can blow things up.

Old October 7th 08, 01:43 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 10:57:40 -0500, "S.Lewis"
wrote:

"alien" wrote in message

"M" wrote in message
[...]

Going along these lines, I read that you could use WEP but change the
password weekly. Of course I prefer WPA if available as would most
others.

Abit AB9 Pro WiFi M/B settings for OC'ing? P Gagg Overclocking 0 May 14th 07 10:19 PM
Network storage for home network (wifi or not?) [email protected] Storage & Hardrives 27 January 13th 06 11:40 AM
Network storage for home network (wifi or not?) [email protected] Storage (alternative) 28 January 13th 06 11:40 AM
Wifi Network Joe Black General 2 January 25th 05 02:55 PM
USB 200 GB hard drive wont connect Lynn McGuire Storage (alternative) 3 October 3rd 04 04:36 AM