How do I play a virtual drive?

Old September 21st 07, 09:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
meerkat[_2_]

Default How do I play a virtual drive?

"Jethro" wrote in message
On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 14:27:16 -0500, Joel wrote:

Jethro wrote:

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 14:06:39 GMT, Jethro
wrote:

I created a virtual drive equating to a folder on my HDD. Now
how do
I execute the drive to simulate playing a disk in a drive?

Thanks

Jethro

I can see I didn't ask the question right.

I copied the content of a video VCD disk into a folder
d:\testfolder.
Then I created f: as a virtual drive representing d:\testfolder.
Now - how do I then play that video from f: and not the actual
disk
drive? Or can I?

It seems like you *still* asking the wrong question bg

- Q. How to play from virtual drive?
A. just play just like any other drive

- Q. what is the benefit from using virtual drive (VirtualCD/DVD)
A. So you can run directly from ISO file without having to burn to
CD/DVD

- Q. How can I play video from virtual drive?
A. You just need to use Video Player to load video file from
virtual
drive.

- Q. How can I play VCD disc?
A. Most video players should play VCD format.

- If it isn't auto-play then you will have to load the video file
manually

- If the video file isn't .MPG or standard video extention (example
VCD
uses .DAT) then you will have to tell the Video Player to
load/play
.DAT file.

- Q. Do I need to copy from virtual drive to hard drive?
A. you are free to do whatever you wish, or unless you want to file
on
hard drive instead of ISO, else nothing can stop you from running
directly from virtual drive.

Or *if* you can copy from virual drive then of course you can run
from
virtual drive.

Thanks

Jethro

As Meerkat suggested, I can use VCD-RW disks to test my creations as
make them and thereby not continue wasting VCD-R disks. I still
would
have to go through the artifice of creating a new disk to 'play'
each
time. I was trying to avoid that - but I still see no way to
actually
play the content of an existing disk from a copy (files - not image)
of same on hard disk. All this to try to determine why a stated
method of making a VCD disk auto-playable (with autorun.inf and
vcd.asx) doesn't want to work at least for me.

One more try.
You say you have created an autorun VCD, and it won`t autorun ?.
If it doesn`t, it must have a fault ??.
Go to www.google.com, and type in create autorun VCD,
you`ll get loads of hits to investigate.

Old September 21st 07, 09:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jethro

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 20:18:18 GMT, "meerkat" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

That's an understatement. I can't agree with you more. I followed
explicitly the instructions to make a video vcd disk autorunnable
(autoplayable, whatever).
The instructions also say that such a disk, although patched to
autoplay on a computer, will not affect playing on a stand-alone
player. Not so. I have three players and my supposedly autorunnable
disk will not play at all. This despite the fact that the original
plays just fine on same players. Hence my dismay.

Go to www.google.com, and type in create autorun VCD,
you`ll get loads of hits to investigate.

Been there - done that.

Thanks anyway

Jethro
Old September 22nd 07, 03:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 18:56:49 GMT, Jethro
wrote:

By way of further explanation - you can see from my earlier posts that
I cannot seem to make a auto-playing VCD disk despite following clear
instruction on the web as to how to do it. And I am tired of wasting
disks to make my tests. So I thought to simulate a disk via a virtual
drive. So that is what I am really up to. The content I said above
that I copied is the content of a VCD disk that should have auto
played but does not. I thought I could play some with the elements
that were supposed to make it work, but I wanted to stop wasting
disks.

Use a burning app that supports creation of a CD Image, an
*.ISO file (Nero, etc). Next install a virtual drive
application like Daemon Tools. After the system has
rebooted (IIRC, it will need a reboot), use the Daemon Tools
icon in the tray to mount this ISO image, then it will
appear. One thing I am not certain about doing this (since
I leave autoinsert and autoplay functions disabled) is
whether it will initiate the autoplay functionality the
moment after the disc is mounted... I suspect so, but have
not tried it.
Old September 22nd 07, 03:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 20:11:33 GMT, Jethro
wrote:

As Meerkat suggested, I can use VCD-RW disks to test my creations as I
make them and thereby not continue wasting VCD-R disks. I still would
have to go through the artifice of creating a new disk to 'play' each
time. I was trying to avoid that - but I still see no way to actually
play the content of an existing disk from a copy (files - not image)
of same on hard disk.

Make the ISO image file,
use this to mount it:
http://filehippo.com/download_daemon_tools/

Note that the latter versions have an adware you need to
deselect to keep it from installing during the installation
process, it might require choosing a "custom" install then
deselecting the checkbox.
Old September 22nd 07, 12:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jethro

wrote:

By way of further explanation - you can see from my earlier posts that
I cannot seem to make a auto-playing VCD disk despite following clear
instruction on the web as to how to do it. And I am tired of wasting
disks to make my tests. So I thought to simulate a disk via a virtual
drive. So that is what I am really up to. The content I said above
that I copied is the content of a VCD disk that should have auto
played but does not. I thought I could play some with the elements
that were supposed to make it work, but I wanted to stop wasting
disks.

Use a burning app that supports creation of a CD Image, an
*.ISO file (Nero, etc). Next install a virtual drive
application like Daemon Tools. After the system has
rebooted (IIRC, it will need a reboot), use the Daemon Tools
icon in the tray to mount this ISO image, then it will

If it requires to reboot (something isn't right) then I would suggest to
use another virtualCD program instead. I am using Alcohol 120% which is not
only virtualCD/DVD but it's also ISO burner (which supports just about all
popular ISO formats).

Hmmm - I don't see that Alcohol creates an ISO image - just .mds and
..ccd. Is that so?
Jethro

Or if reboot is required then I don't think I can get
much done as I often either converting, authoring, downloading or in middle
of something.

IOW, a normal VirtualCD should let you Mound/UnMound anytime you want, and
shouldn't require rebooting.

Old September 22nd 07, 05:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jethro

wrote:

[...]

I am going to try all this again, but first -

My Computer now shows two virtual 'things'. I have a 'DVD drive' as
f: and a 'Virtual drive' as g:. I want to get rid of both to get back
to base point. I have tried, but have not found a way to delete them
that works. They surely resulted from my experimenting with Virtual
Drive Creator V2.1.4 by J.A. Associates and/or Virtual Drive Manager
by Farstone and/or Virtual DAEMON Tools V4.10 by DT Soft Ltd. So my
first request is for help to get rid of f: and g: drives.

Secondly, I used Roxio to create a .ccd image in a HDD folder from the
VCD disk that I had created, but can't get to auto play (auto run).
Then, I extracted all the folders/files from that image to another
hard disk folder. Next, I changed a few files in the hope of
correcting the problem.

At this point. I want to test the result. That is, I want to make
what now have into something hopefully playable (runnable). I could
create a new VCD disk with this and test that, but right now I don't
have any RW disks. I figure I have to make a new image on a virtual
drive (or is it virtual CD?) which can then act like a real
drive/disk. So - how do I accomplish this? That is, how many steps
are involved, and what are they?

Thanks much

Jethro

Old September 22nd 07, 07:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

wrote:

[...]

There is no reason to think there is a problem, sometimes
low level stuff does require a reboot. VirtualCD is not as
powerful as Daemon Tools, at least the last time I compared
the two it was not, but that has been over a year ago.

I am using Alcohol 120% which is not
only virtualCD/DVD but it's also ISO burner (which supports just about all
popular ISO formats). Or if reboot is required then I don't think I can get
much done as I often either converting, authoring, downloading or in middle
of something.

I think you misunderstand. The system may need rebooted one
time only, after the virtualized CD program is installed.
Never again will it need rebooted to mount or unmount a disc
image.

IOW, a normal VirtualCD should let you Mound/UnMound anytime you want, and
shouldn't require rebooting.

As does Daemon Tools, which is free for the basic version
(just dont install the adware by unchecking the box during
installation).
Old September 22nd 07, 07:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jethro

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 13:28:46 -0500, Joel wrote:

Jethro wrote:

snip
I am going to try all this again, but first -

My Computer now shows two virtual 'things'. I have a 'DVD drive' as
f: and a 'Virtual drive' as g:. I want to get rid of both to get back
to base point. I have tried, but have not found a way to delete them
that works. They surely resulted from my experimenting with Virtual
Drive Creator V2.1.4 by J.A. Associates and/or Virtual Drive Manager
by Farstone and/or Virtual DAEMON Tools V4.10 by DT Soft Ltd. So my
first request is for help to get rid of f: and g: drives.

I don't use what you use, but in general if you want to get rid of the
virtualCD then one of the best ways is to rmove the program.

I didn't want to remove the program virtualcd itself. In fact I don't
have that program. I didn't realize there was a program by that name.
Anyway I want to delete what apparently was created by my other
programs, namely what MyComputer now shows as 'DVD drive' as
f: and a 'Virtual drive' as g:

And I don't use any above to know much about them, but with Alcohol 120% I
can create multiple virtualCD if I want, and I have 2 virtualCDs

I haven't yet tried to actually make a virtual CD - I'll look at that.

Secondly, I used Roxio to create a .ccd image in a HDD folder from the
VCD disk that I had created, but can't get to auto play (auto run).
Then, I extracted all the folders/files from that image to another
hard disk folder. Next, I changed a few files in the hope of
correcting the problem.

I think you still have problem understanding the whole thing. Lets see if
I can break the whole problem into smaller pieces hoping you may get some
idea.

- ISO imaged is the *exact* copy of the original (imaged = mirrored =
identical = exact etc..) or you will get the exact image of the *original*

- *If* the *original* auto-play then 99.99% chance that the ISO image will
auto-play

- *if* the original DOES NOT auto-play then ZERO chance for the ISO image to
play.

I thought it might - if I re-created an ISO with a correction made to
the extraction I made to the first ISO. Which I did,

- *If* the original auto-play but ISO image won't play then 90-99.9% chance
that something is wrong with either your CD/DVD player or setting. *not*
the CD itself.

At this point. I want to test the result. That is, I want to make
what now have into something hopefully playable (runnable). I could
create a new VCD disk with this and test that, but right now I don't
have any RW disks. I figure I have to make a new image on a virtual
drive (or is it virtual CD?) which can then act like a real
drive/disk. So - how do I accomplish this? That is, how many steps
are involved, and what are they?

What playable? the CD? the VCD (video?). I read you say "VCD" which I
assume it's VCD disc (video), but I haven't heard what you try to play with.

I believe I said 'VCD disk'. I would want to play same by (1) Windows
Media Player, (2-4) my three stand-alone disk players in the family
room.

- Do you try to play with stand-alone DVD player? Does it support VCD or
CD-R? or exactly what does it say?

Nothing - the original disk loads, but stops there, and will not play.

- Do you try to play from computer? what program you try to play? how do
you play?

Answered above.
- If you burn to CD-RW then how do you play?

I said I did not have any RW's right now.

stand-alone DVD player or PC?

both

and again what program? how you play?

Windows Media Player on PC.

Sure, you can make ISO from many different CDR program like Roxio, many
virtualCD, Nero, Alcohol 120 etc.. and sure you can mount and play from
VirtualCD. But again, how you play and what program you try to play? Do
you have your computer set-up to auto-play?

It's hard for other to give you the right answer when you are the one who
have all the answers.

?

Thanks much

Jethro

Old September 22nd 07, 10:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jethro

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 15:46:23 -0500, Joel wrote:

Jethro wrote:

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 13:28:46 -0500, Joel wrote:

Jethro wrote:

snip
[...]

No. VirtualCD is the universal_name *not* the name of any program (who
knows there may be one with that name). Or "name" is the word to call
someone, something, some animal etc.. not someone named Name bg

And I don't use any above to know much about them, but with Alcohol 120% I
can create multiple virtualCD if I want, and I have 2 virtualCDs

I haven't yet tried to actually make a virtual CD - I'll look at that.

Alcohol will create (reserve one drive letter for 1 virtualCD) ONE
VirtualCD no matter if you create or not. And that VirtualVD will be
actived when you MOUNT the ISO.

[...]

You have me confused here. This is what I think I understand what you say

- You extracted an ISO to hard drive (lets say ISO #1)

Yes

- Re-created an ISO from the extracted ISO (lets say ISO #2)

No

.. if so, you will get the exact same *original* ISO #1, and you will have
the *exact* problem ISO #1 has.

If I did that - I would agree.

- *If* the original auto-play but ISO image won't play then 90-99.9% chance
that something is wrong with either your CD/DVD player or setting. *not*
the CD itself.

The original would NOT auto play. But I could and can play it fine by
opening Media Player and selecting the disk as input directly. It
also plays on my stand-alone players fine. But I want it to auto play
on my computer. Hence I thought if could un compress the ISO image
(#1), which I did, add auto run.inf and vcd.asx, re-make the VCD disk
- that then maybe I could get a disk that not only still plays on my
stand alone Players, but would now auto play on my computer as well.

At this point. I want to test the result. That is, I want to make
what now have into something hopefully playable (runnable). I could
create a new VCD disk with this and test that, but right now I don't
have any RW disks. I figure I have to make a new image on a virtual
drive (or is it virtual CD?) which can then act like a real
drive/disk. So - how do I accomplish this? That is, how many steps
are involved, and what are they?

What playable? the CD? the VCD (video?). I read you say "VCD" which I
assume it's VCD disc (video), but I haven't heard what you try to play with.

I believe I said 'VCD disk'. I would want to play same by (1) Windows
Media Player, (2-4) my three stand-alone disk players in the family
room.

*If* it's VCD disc then it should auto-play by any stand-alone DVD player
supports VCD and CD-R. You don't need to do anything, because that is what
VCD does. If you try on PC then it's another story, because it will depend
on the program and setup.

That's what it does, but I wanted to make it auto play on the PC.

I believe some version of MS MediaPlayer will auto-play *if* you have it
setup to auto-play.

- Do you try to play with stand-alone DVD player? Does it support VCD or
CD-R? or exactly what does it say?

Nothing - the original disk loads, but stops there, and will not play.

I guess I mis-stated here. Sorry. The modified disk (with auto
run.inf and vcd .asx files added) loads and stops. The original plays
on the stand-alone DVD player fine.

Then.

- It's possible that the CD is damaged. This you can check using your
computer

- It's possible that your stand-alone DVD player doesn't support the format,
CD-R

- It's possible that the CD you believe it's VCD isn't VCD.

- Do you try to play from computer? what program you try to play? how do
you play?

Answered above.
- If you burn to CD-RW then how do you play?

I said I did not have any RW's right now.
stand-alone DVD player or PC?

both

and again what program? how you play?

Windows Media Player on PC.

What does MS MediaPlayer say? Do you know how to play other video file?
If you do then just forget the VCD thing but try to play any other video
format. lets say it's "AVI", "MPG", "WMV", "MOV"

What I am trying to say that.

- *IF* it doesn't auto-play then why don't you maunally select the file see
if it's video file.

- *If* it doesn't auto-play then why don't you use Windows Explorer to see
what on the CD.

... or you need to find out what's wrong with the CD first before you can
make it auto-play. Who knows it may not be the VCD? Also, you said you
copied, extracted to hard drive (??) what did you see? did you try to play
it from hard drive?

Old September 22nd 07, 11:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

wrote:

No. VirtualCD is the universal_name *not* the name of any program (who
knows there may be one with that name).

No, "virtual CD" is a universal name. "VirtualCD" is the
name of a specific program _only_.

Can a USB pen drive be used for WinXP virtual memory? Larry Roberts Homebuilt PC's 3 June 22nd 06 11:14 AM
FarStone Virtual Drive 9 meagain Cdr 3 October 1st 05 12:29 AM
Using Gmail as a 1GB Virtual Drive! [email protected] Storage (alternative) 2 March 22nd 05 01:56 PM
Help! How do I use a virtual CD drive and what program do I use? Thank you. Pedro Cdr 1 August 18th 03 06:35 PM
How to burn virtual disk or copy play CD of GTA vicecity? Randy O. Cdr 2 July 22nd 03 03:41 AM