A7N8X 2.0, After Brownout, Fans Spin, No Beeps...Please help.

Old May 6th 06, 07:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Default A7N8X 2.0, After Brownout, Fans Spin, No Beeps...Please help.

We had an extended Brown-out this morning. My Athlon XP 2600+ (266 FSB) in
on an A7N8X 2.0, and was set to restart after power failure. The power
failure was a few miles away, and we had a ~ 75VAC Brown-out for a few
hours. The computer was trying to "on" when I came in to the office, so I
thought everthing was OK. After a reset, I get NO Beeps, and no video, but
all Fans, CPU, Case, PS are running fine, Green Mboard LED is lit, and PS is
supplying proper 12V and 5V on all connectors.

I removed the memory, HD, DVD-ROM, and video and attempted a restart just to
get some beeps, but nothing. Added one stick of RAM, a different know-good
video AGP card, No Beeps.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Old May 6th 06, 08:29 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

On Sat, 6 May 2006 13:53:41 -0500, "kirbalo" wrote:

We had an extended Brown-out this morning. My Athlon XP 2600+ (266 FSB) in
on an A7N8X 2.0, and was set to restart after power failure. The power
failure was a few miles away, and we had a ~ 75VAC Brown-out for a few
hours. The computer was trying to "on" when I came in to the office, so I
thought everthing was OK. After a reset, I get NO Beeps, and no video, but
all Fans, CPU, Case, PS are running fine, Green Mboard LED is lit, and PS is
supplying proper 12V and 5V on all connectors.

I removed the memory, HD, DVD-ROM, and video and attempted a restart just to
get some beeps, but nothing. Added one stick of RAM, a different know-good
video AGP card, No Beeps.

Anyone have any suggestions?

From my experience it's not the power failure that causes a problem but the
spike when the power comes back up. Often that takes out the power supply
but you said the fan on yours was still working. I suppose it may still
have shorted something out so you're not getting power. I'm curious how
you were able to tell it was supplying proper voltages?

Look in the manual for the pins to short that reset the bios settings to
defaults. Turn everything off when doing that. Other than the PS, you seem
to have checked everything else but the cpu and the board itself.

Good luck with it. I had this happen to an older board and lost pretty much
everything.

"There would be a lot more civility in this world if people
didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you"
(Calvin and Hobbes)
Old May 6th 06, 08:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

"EGK" wrote in message
[...]

From my experience it's not the power failure that causes a problem but
the
spike when the power comes back up. Often that takes out the power
supply
but you said the fan on yours was still working. I suppose it may still
have shorted something out so you're not getting power. I'm curious how
you were able to tell it was supplying proper voltages?

"Using a DVM on the unused leads."

Look in the manual for the pins to short that reset the bios settings to
defaults. Turn everything off when doing that. Other than the PS, you
seem
to have checked everything else but the cpu and the board itself.

"Already tried to reset the BIOS, removed battery for 30 min, Clear CMOS
enabled, etc."

Good luck with it. I had this happen to an older board and lost pretty
much
everything.

"There would be a lot more civility in this world if people
didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you"
(Calvin and Hobbes)

Curiously, while idling in this "powered on" state, the HSF is very cool.
This is a 2133 MHz 2600+ running at 1.65V. Even Idling, I'd expect to feel
some heat? Correct?

What does NO Beeps tell me?

Old May 6th 06, 09:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

On Sat, 6 May 2006 14:40:52 -0500, "kirbalo" wrote:

"EGK" wrote in message

Look in the manual for the pins to short that reset the bios settings to
defaults. Turn everything off when doing that. Other than the PS, you
seem
to have checked everything else but the cpu and the board itself.

"Already tried to reset the BIOS, removed battery for 30 min, Clear CMOS
enabled, etc."

I figured you probably had done that already but it was all I could think of
that you hadn't tried.

Curiously, while idling in this "powered on" state, the HSF is very cool.
This is a 2133 MHz 2600+ running at 1.65V. Even Idling, I'd expect to feel
some heat? Correct?

Yeah, I think you should feel some heat.

What does NO Beeps tell me?

I think the cpu is either not getting any power or it's been damaged by a
spike or something. Otherwise it should beep if the board and cpu are still
good. It could still be something shorted out on the board itself so the
cpu isnt getting power.

When it happened to me, I lost the power supply, hard drives, cd burner and
all the cards that were in it and something on the board itself. The odd
thing is the memory and the cpu were the only things still good. Go figure.

Old May 6th 06, 09:07 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

On Sat, 6 May 2006 14:40:52 -0500, "kirbalo" wrote:

What does NO Beeps tell me?

When I boot the system, the fans turn on, but I see nothing on screen.
This could be caused by many different things.

* If no video or audio (no beeps or anything), check to be sure the PC
speaker is connected properly. If it is and you still are getting no
feedback, then you may have a bad motherboard or a device connected to it is
faulty.
* Could be faulty RAM or a CPU. Check the connections between all these
devices and the motherboard. But, nonetheless, since the computer is doing
nothing, something is faulty at the hardware level.
* If no video, but static from the PC speaker, then you need to go after
the motherboard or key system device. Pretty much the same as above.
* If you're getting a pattern of beeps from the PC speaker, then consult
the beep codes section for a clue as to where to start.

Found that good explanation on a web page. I'd try disconnecting
everything first. Take all cards out and have nothing in it but the known
good Ram and known good video card. If you still get no beeps, it's most
likely something on the motherboard or the cpu. I still wouldn't totally
rule out the Power supply though. I also had one doing what yours is when I
connected a faulty PS.

Old May 6th 06, 09:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

"EGK" wrote in message
[...]

Yea, I would try another PS, but it's the only thing I don't have "extras"
of...

It's a brand new Antec SL300S, out of another case. I'd hope it could
survive this... The previous PS was a CompUSA 300W generic PS that died
just a week ago due to old age (3 yrs. continuous use)

Next, I'll be putting on Old Athlon XP 1600+ into the system if I can't
figure anything else out....

Old May 6th 06, 10:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Bitstring , from the
wonderful person kirbalo said
snip
Next, I'll be putting on Old Athlon XP 1600+ into the system if I can't
figure anything else out....

I'd try that fairly early. It sounds like it's either the CPU (easy to
check if you have a spare) or the motherboard, or just possibly the PSU.
Just be aware that a really SNAFU Mobo/PSU could also fry the new CPU,
so don't use anything really valuable.

I thought that mobo would still beep plaintively (if not give a voice
message?) even with no CPU fitted, but maybe I hallucinated that - I'm
not going to pull my CPU out to check. 8.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can
Google may be your friend, but groups.google.com posters definitely aren't.
Old May 6th 06, 11:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

"GSV Three Minds in a Can" wrote in message
Bitstring , from the
wonderful person kirbalo said
snip
Next, I'll be putting on Old Athlon XP 1600+ into the system if I can't
figure anything else out....

I'd try that fairly early. It sounds like it's either the CPU (easy to
check if you have a spare) or the motherboard, or just possibly the PSU.
Just be aware that a really SNAFU Mobo/PSU could also fry the new CPU, so
don't use anything really valuable.

I thought that mobo would still beep plaintively (if not give a voice
message?) even with no CPU fitted, but maybe I hallucinated that - I'm not
going to pull my CPU out to check. 8.

Well, I just tried the 1600+, same deal. You're right about the value
proposition, I wouldn't have used my Mobile XP 2400+ or my XP 2500+...both
are OC'ing at 2.2 GHz, happily...

I hope that it's the Mobo and not the Processors, or both of them for that
matter...

I'm not sure what else to try...

Old May 8th 06, 04:31 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

"GSV Three Minds in a Can" wrote in message
Bitstring , from the
wonderful person kirbalo said
snip
Next, I'll be putting on Old Athlon XP 1600+ into the system if I can't
figure anything else out....

I'd try that fairly early. It sounds like it's either the CPU (easy to
check if you have a spare) or the motherboard, or just possibly the PSU.
Just be aware that a really SNAFU Mobo/PSU could also fry the new CPU,
so don't use anything really valuable.

I thought that mobo would still beep plaintively (if not give a voice
message?) even with no CPU fitted, but maybe I hallucinated that - I'm
not going to pull my CPU out to check. 8.

From what I remember, the vocal POST should work with no CPU
fitted, but a faulty CPU can stop it reporting. Kirbalo: Definitely worth
plugging some powered speakers into the green line-out socket on this
mobo - only takes a few seconds..
HTH
--
Rob

Old May 8th 06, 11:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

"Rob Hemmings" wrote in message

"GSV Three Minds in a Can" wrote in message
Bitstring , from the
wonderful person kirbalo said
snip
Next, I'll be putting on Old Athlon XP 1600+ into the system if I can't
figure anything else out....

I'd try that fairly early. It sounds like it's either the CPU (easy to
check if you have a spare) or the motherboard, or just possibly the PSU.
Just be aware that a really SNAFU Mobo/PSU could also fry the new CPU,
so don't use anything really valuable.

I thought that mobo would still beep plaintively (if not give a voice
message?) even with no CPU fitted, but maybe I hallucinated that - I'm
not going to pull my CPU out to check. 8.

From what I remember, the vocal POST should work with no CPU
fitted, but a faulty CPU can stop it reporting. Kirbalo: Definitely worth
plugging some powered speakers into the green line-out socket on this
mobo - only takes a few seconds..
HTH
--
Rob

That "Voice POST Reporter" is only on the "Deluxe" board, iirc. I have that
board also, and the Voice reporter works great. I usually don't have
speakers hooked to the particular box that failed, so I'll give it a
try...but I won't hold my breath...Thanks, though!