File recovery utility for less common file types?

Old March 8th 08, 09:47 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ian R

Default File recovery utility for less common file types?

Hi

I've had good results using a particular file recovery program but it will
only search for standard files types i.e. doc, txt, generic picture formats
etc etc.

Are then any recovery utilities which can be instructed to look for a non
standard extension or part of a file name which isn't a standard file type?

Thanks for any info

Ian

Old March 8th 08, 07:49 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Mar 8, 9:47*am, "Ian R" wrote:
Hi

I've had good results using a particular file recovery program but it will
only search for standard files types i.e. doc, txt, generic picture formats
etc etc.

Are then any recovery utilities which can be instructed to look for a non
standard extension or part of a file name which isn't a standard file type?

Thanks for any info

Ian

You appear to be using a recovery program that works on signature
alone. A signature on it's own will not regenerate a file name,
though it can be possible to create a file name based on meta data
within the file. This signature only recovery mode should be
considered the last resort for recovery unless you just want photos /
jpegs recovered.

You don't mention the type of non standard files you want to recover.
Some may be posible, and others may have no recognisable structure, or
header to search for. Doing a straigh search for a signature may also
produce false positives, ie when the program thinks it has found a
file start, when in fact it is still in the middle of a good file.

There are some programs that do allow you to enter search strings, I
have never personally evaluated any.

For better recovery, and it does depend on the failure mode, you want
a program that will work on logical recovery, based on existing
filenames, directories etc. The file type to be recovered is then less
important. Again, depending on failure mode, and operating system,
this may also take care of the problem that some files that may be
fragmented.

Michael
www.cnwrecovery.com
Old March 13th 08, 01:18 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

On Mar 12, 9:03*pm, "Stretch" wrote:
wrote *

On Mar 8, 9:47 am, "Ian R" wrote:
Hi

I've had good results using a particular file recovery program but it will
only search for standard files types i.e. doc, txt, generic picture formats
etc etc.

Are then any recovery utilities which can be instructed to look for a non
standard extension or part of a file name which isn't a standard file type?

Thanks for any info

Ian

You appear to be using a recovery program that works on signature alone. *

Oh, what exactly makes you think that.

My guess that you are using a program based on signatures is because
it only searches for standard file types. If the program was using
directory information, then the file type would not be important. To
the operating system, generally speaking, a file is file, be it a
picture, a database, or unique data file.

My other assumption (also a guess) is that you are using Windows.

Are my guesses correct, or way off the mark?

Michael
Old March 14th 08, 11:09 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

wrote *

On Mar 8, 9:47 am, "Ian R" wrote:
Hi

I've had good results using a particular file recovery program but it
will only search for standard files types i.e. doc, txt, generic
picture formats etc etc.

Are then any recovery utilities which can be instructed to look for a
non standard extension or part of a file name which isn't a standard
file type?

Thanks for any info

Ian
You appear to be using a recovery program that works on signature alone.

Oh, what exactly makes you think that.

My guess that you are using a program based on signatures is because
it only searches for standard file types. *
If the program was using directory information, then the file type would
not be important.

Completely off his rocker.

To the operating system, generally speaking, a file is file, be it a
picture, a database, or unique data file.

My other assumption (also a guess) is that you are using Windows.

Are my guesses correct, or way off the mark?

Michael- Hide quoted text -

Are Floyd and Stretch related??

Newsgroups are for sharing of information, helping others, throwing
around ideas. Lets try and keep this group a good positive 'meeting
place'.

Michael
Old March 14th 08, 06:08 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

wrote:
wrote

On Mar 8, 9:47 am, "Ian R" wrote:
[...]

Yep, its all ****nert avoiding killfiles.

Newsgroups are for sharing of information, helping others, throwing around ideas.

They have always had their resident trolls like ****nert too.

Lets try and keep this group a good positive 'meeting place'.

You'll have to send the death squad around to ****nert's padded cell to achieve that in here.

Utility to copy "in use" file [email protected] Storage (alternative) 6 May 26th 05 05:25 PM
HP LaserJet 4050N prints black page - certain file types only [email protected] Printers 0 February 23rd 05 01:29 PM
file types Bob Foringer Dell Computers 2 December 1st 03 03:44 AM
File Recovery Utility? John Homebuilt PC's 6 September 12th 03 10:16 PM
File Recovery Utility? John Homebuilt PC's 1 September 10th 03 12:41 AM