Amazon's method of delivery

Old November 6th 03, 08:55 AM
Bob Eager

Default Amazon's method of delivery

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 08:46:31 UTC, Lem wrote:

If I pay the Amazon delivery charge of £2.75 for a single book (£2.16
+ £0.59) then presumably something like First Class post would be
cheaper than Parcelforce or a courier like DHL Express.

Depends on the book. A single hardback can cost four or five pounds by
first class. I agree that a single paperback will be more like 80 pence.
They can't really weigh every book *at the point of ordering*.

It seems there is no way for the customer to choose the delivery
method. You just have to pay full price for the delivery and Amazon
will decide.

Seems fair enough.

That's not very good when I have had a postal delivery strike here
and it is not very good if I really want my goods.

Well, one of the reasons they want to choose is that during a strike
they can use other methods. Even if they cost more, you pay the same.

I rarely buy single books from them - if I want a book urgently I go
to...a bookshop! And multiple books are free postage anyway.

In an ideal world it would be nice to choose...but then you'd still be
paying a fixed price for an average weight book. I'd like it, because
then I could use my PO box for deliveries which is more convenient for
me. I can't do that, in case they use UPS or ParcelFarce.

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70...

Old November 6th 03, 10:20 AM
ff

If I pay the Amazon delivery charge of £2.75 for a single book (£2.16
+ £0.59) then presumably something like First Class post would be
cheaper than Parcelforce or a courier like DHL Express.

If you really want to save the pennies you can always try
http://www.bookbrain.co.uk which lets you compare all the prices with
shipping rates. Mostly it's not worth the effort.
Old November 6th 03, 12:10 PM
Bagpuss

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 08:46:31 GMT, Lem wrote:

On http://www.amazon.co.uk at "Help Delivery Rates" it says:

"All items destined for a UK address will be
dispatched by First Class post, Parcelforce,
DHL Express or [etc]".

If I pay the Amazon delivery charge of £2.75 for a single book (£2.16
+ £0.59) then presumably something like First Class post would be
cheaper than Parcelforce or a courier like DHL Express.

It seems there is no way for the customer to choose the delivery
method. You just have to pay full price for the delivery and Amazon
will decide.

But I would expect having to handle the routing of orders to specific
couriers depending on what the order has specified would put the cost
up. I guess at the moment they are just doing it on who can give them
the best deal at the time in terms of cost & response and using there
couriers to off load a bit if they get in a busy patch.

That's not very good when I have had a postal delivery strike here
and it is not very good if I really want my goods.

If you are that desparate and can't wait try and source the book
locally.

Thankfully the postal strike doesn't seem to be affecting our local
post. But then I get SFA though the post anyway.

--
This post does not reflect the opinions of all saggy cloth
cats be they a bit loose at the seams or not

I'm not a nerd, I'm an empowered freak
Old November 6th 03, 08:24 PM
Cheeky

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 08:46:31 GMT, Lem wrote:

On http://www.amazon.co.uk at "Help Delivery Rates" it says:

"All items destined for a UK address will be
dispatched by First Class post, Parcelforce,
DHL Express or [etc]".

If I pay the Amazon delivery charge of £2.75 for a single book (£2.16
+ £0.59) then presumably something like First Class post would be
cheaper than Parcelforce or a courier like DHL Express.

It seems there is no way for the customer to choose the delivery
method. You just have to pay full price for the delivery and Amazon
will decide.

That's not very good when I have had a postal delivery strike here
and it is not very good if I really want my goods.

What do others think?

Blackwells.co.uk has free delivery if you order 3 books.....
--

Please reply to the group
Old November 7th 03, 09:55 AM
Baguss

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 08:46:31 GMT, Lem wrote:

What do others think?

Well I got by Rainbow Six 3 for the Xbox today 4 days ahead of the
estimated delivery date :-)