OT Newsreader for Outlook ?

Old November 6th 10, 09:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
James

Default OT Newsreader for Outlook ?

Sorry for the off topic post, but I have tried elsewhere, and cannot get any
info.

On my new computer, I have Windows 7, which does not include Outlook
Express, which I have on this old computer, which will be given away soon to
a needy person.

On my new system, I use Outlook for my email, but it does not include a
newsreader. I need to find an independent newsreader, something that is
basic, and easy to set up. My server for newsgroups is localnet.com.

Can someone here please recommend a very good, easy interface, basic
newsreader, preferably one for free ? (Don't mind paying, if there is a
superior one offered for sale....).

I know that newsgroups seem to be dying, but I just do not enjoy forums as I
find them clumsy and a bit non-productive, and would like to stay on a
number of newsgroups that are very helpful to me, but I need some good
recommendations on a basic newsreader that (hopefully) would operate similar
to what Outlook Express provides for me on my old machine.

Thanks again for allowing this OT post, and I hope that someone can help me
on this.

James

Old November 6th 10, 11:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Peter Greenstein

"James" wrote in message
net...

On my new computer, I have Windows 7, which does not include Outlook
Express, which I have on this old computer, which will be given away soon
a needy person.

On my new system, I use Outlook for my email, but it does not include a
newsreader. I need to find an independent newsreader, something that
is
basic, and easy to set up. My server for newsgroups is localnet.com.

Can someone here please recommend a very good, easy interface, basic
newsreader, preferably one for free ? (Don't mind paying, if there is a
superior one offered for sale....).

James

I haven't got it yet, I'm still on Vista, but doesn't Windows 7 include
something called "Windows Live Mail"? I thought that has a newsreader.

peter

Old November 6th 10, 11:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brian Smith

"James" wrote in message
net...
[...]

Do you not have "Windows Live Mail" on your machine? If you have a later
version of IE you should have it. Essentially Windows Live Mail is what
Microsoft replaced OE with. It has a very similar look and feel to OE and
can be used as a newsreader. I waited to literally the last second to move
over and wish I had done so much earlier.

Brian

Old November 7th 10, 01:08 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Levine[_7_]

On 11/6/2010 7:58 PM, Brian Smith wrote:

Do you not have "Windows Live Mail" on your machine? If you have a later
version of IE you should have it. Essentially Windows Live Mail is what
Microsoft replaced OE with. It has a very similar look and feel to OE and
can be used as a newsreader. I waited to literally the last second to move
over and wish I had done so much earlier.

Brian

Windows Live Mail 2011 is crap for newsgroups. There's no quoting of
messages at all. I just switched to Thunderbird. To demonstrate this,
after I send this message, I'll reply to it from WLM 2011.

Bob

Old November 7th 10, 01:09 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Levine[_7_]

"Bob Levine" wrote in message

On 11/6/2010 7:58 PM, Brian Smith wrote:

Do you not have "Windows Live Mail" on your machine? If you have a later
version of IE you should have it. Essentially Windows Live Mail is what
Microsoft replaced OE with. It has a very similar look and feel to OE and
can be used as a newsreader. I waited to literally the last second to move
over and wish I had done so much earlier.

Brian

Windows Live Mail 2011 is crap for newsgroups. There's no quoting of
messages at all. I just switched to Thunderbird. To demonstrate this,
after I send this message, I'll reply to it from WLM 2011.

Bob

See? No Quoting.

Makes it nearly impossible to follow along.

Bob

Old November 7th 10, 01:11 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Levine[_7_]

"Bob Levine" wrote in message

On 11/6/2010 7:58 PM, Brian Smith wrote:

Do you not have "Windows Live Mail" on your machine? If you have a later
version of IE you should have it. Essentially Windows Live Mail is what
Microsoft replaced OE with. It has a very similar look and feel to OE and
can be used as a newsreader. I waited to literally the last second to move
over and wish I had done so much earlier.

Brian

Windows Live Mail 2011 is crap for newsgroups. There's no quoting of
messages at all. I just switched to Thunderbird. To demonstrate this,
after I send this message, I'll reply to it from WLM 2011.

Bob

See? No quoting on the above message.

Bob

Old November 7th 10, 05:39 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Peter Greenstein

"Bob Levine" wrote in message

Brian

Windows Live Mail 2011 is crap for newsgroups. There's no quoting of
messages at all. I just switched to Thunderbird. To demonstrate this,
after I send this message, I'll reply to it from WLM 2011.

Bob

See? No quoting on the above message.

Bob

Yes, I see the lack of indent/quoting. But I thought that was a bug that was
said to have been fixed in Windows Live Mail:
http://www.winvistatips.com/indent-o...g-t174175.html

peter

Old November 7th 10, 08:40 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Hank Arnold

I use Mozilla Thunderbird.

--------

Regards,
Hank Arnold
Microsoft MVP
Windows Server - Directory Services
http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/personal-pc-assistant/

Old November 7th 10, 01:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Villa

On Nov 6, 7:09*pm, "Bob Levine" wrote:
"Bob Levine" *wrote in message

On 11/6/2010 7:58 PM, Brian Smith wrote:

Do you not have "Windows Live Mail" on your machine? If you have a later
version of IE you should have it. Essentially Windows Live Mail is what
Microsoft replaced OE with. It has a very similar look and feel to OE and
can be used as a newsreader. I waited to literally the last second to move
over and wish I had done so much earlier.

Brian

Windows Live Mail 2011 is crap for newsgroups. There's no quoting of
messages at all. I just switched to Thunderbird. To demonstrate this,
after I send this message, I'll reply to it from WLM 2011.

Bob

See? No Quoting.

Makes it nearly impossible to follow along.

Bob

I'm reading this from Google groups (lame, I know) and it looks fine
using FF.

measkite is village idiot, newbies set your newsreader to deletemeaskite Michael[_13_] Printers 10 September 2nd 08 08:59 AM
Newsreader message filters (somewhat off topic) Phil Weldon[_2_] Nvidia Videocards 9 August 6th 08 06:39 PM
A lofty outlook Rob S UK Computer Vendors 4 October 10th 05 01:52 PM
Outlook wierdness Tony Dell Computers 6 September 27th 04 12:24 PM
Copying Outlook MH Dell Computers 5 February 18th 04 05:58 PM