Lacie External Hard Drive

Old June 8th 05, 12:34 AM
carlsunder

Default Lacie External Hard Drive

Hi all-

Question about some recent interesting behavior I experienced with an
external Lacie hard drive... It is a USB 60 GB model. I inherited it
from someone who didn't want it.

So here's the deal. It worked fine for two weeks. After shutting down
my computer to connect a wireless logitech mouse, the drive would not
work. It would not show up in "my computer", nor would it show up in
the Disk Management tool. It was in the device manager, however, with
an exclamation mark and an error saying "The Device could not start."

The drive was fully plugged into the wall at all times, was not shut
down inappropriately, and did not get bumped or anything like that. I
tried removing it, and the adding new hardware again. I tried a
different USB port. Removed new wireless mouse. No difference. Moved
it to another computer, and it worked just fine. Moved it back to the
first computer, and same problem. I got fed up with it that day, and
left.

Upon returning the next morning and turning on the computer, the drive
decided to work. No problem.

SO... Anyone have any ideas what may have happened? And should I
worry about it happening again?

Thanks!

Carl

Old June 8th 05, 04:31 AM
Rod Speed

"carlsunder" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Maybe it got too hot and cooled off enough overnight.

Doesnt explain why it worked on the other PC when hot tho.

Maybe there is something flakey about
the design so its not completely bulletproof.