Second monitor will not show

Old August 5th 04, 11:46 AM
Richard Dvo??k

Default Second monitor will not show

Hi there,

after installing a new ASUS P4P800SE and a Geforce FX5200LP I can't
get WindowsXP to show the second monitor.
I have two Samtron 91S TFT, one connected to the D-Sub Port and the
other to the DVI port using an adaptor.
Both monitors work and show identical desktop.
Can't expand Desktop to the second monitor, since it won`t show up in
settings.

So far I have tried the following:
- flashed bios, reinstalled and updated XP SP1, updated Chipset
drivers
- reinstalled geforce drivers (67.11)
Old August 5th 04, 12:26 PM
Adam Nielsen

So far I have tried the following:
- flashed bios, reinstalled and updated XP SP1, updated Chipset
drivers
- reinstalled geforce drivers (67.11)

Did you remember to enable TwinView? Both monitors display the same
picture until TwinView is activated. I believe you do this through the
advanced button in the display settings, but it's been ages since I've
tried it under Windows (my FX5200LP is running fine with two CRTs under
Linux - they both display the same picture until I load X-Windows, when
they're configured to come up as two independent desktops.)

Cheers,
Adam.
Old August 5th 04, 07:24 PM
Richard Dvo??k

Did you remember to enable TwinView?

Yes, it is called nview and it is activated.
Though, what`s most irritating: only one monitor shows up...
Old August 6th 04, 09:14 AM
Richard Dvo??k

A video card with 2 different monitor outputs does not necessarily
work as dual head. If not, both monitors should display the same
picture. Only a card with a Dual Head feature should be able to span
the desktop accross both screens.

That might just be the case here - the second monitor on DVI just does
not show up in any of the config panels, even on powerstrip.
It will show the same desktop though...

If your video card does not have a dual head feature, the easiest way
to make this work is to buy an inexpensive PCI video card, and use it
for the secondary monitor. (I have a TNT2 for my second monitor, and
its plenty good enough for displaying the other half of my desktop..
Games still run smoothly on my primary monitor with the Radeon 9800.)

I think I still have a pci card somewhere :-)
Tanks, I'll give it a try...
Old August 7th 04, 03:35 AM
Adam Nielsen

That might just be the case here - the second monitor on DVI just does
not show up in any of the config panels, even on powerstrip. It will
show the same desktop though...

Have you tried enabling "force detection of a monitor on the secondary
port" or whatever it's called? Also, the monitor won't show up if nView
is disabled (I think until nView is enabled you've only got one monitor
connected - after it's enabled you should be able to auto-detect the
presence of a second monitor.)

If your video card does not have a dual head feature, the easiest
way

I think I still have a pci card somewhere :-)

As far as I'm aware, all nVidia cards with two monitor outputs have dual
heads (otherwise there'd be no point putting the extra DVI/DB15 plug on
there - they could put a single DVI plug and give you a DVI - DB15
converter.)

I could understand you having problems detecting a CRT monitor on the
DVI plug (as then no 'control' signals are passed back from the CRT to
the video card) however this should work well with a DVI connection to a
DVI monitor.

So when you've enabled TwinView and the DVI monitor goes black, have you
tried restarting Windows (and the second monitor should remain black
when Windows loads again) then going back into the display properties?
Perhaps it just needs a nudge to detect the second monitor?

Cheers,
Adam.
Old August 10th 04, 12:14 AM
Richard Dvo??k

Hi Adam,
thanks for taking the time...

Have you tried enabling "force detection of a monitor on the secondary
port" or whatever it's called? Also, the monitor won't show up if nView
is disabled (I think until nView is enabled you've only got one monitor
connected - after it's enabled you should be able to auto-detect the
presence of a second monitor.)

Did all of that - nView is enabled, after doing force detection (and
rebooting), I DO get a second monitor setup option - BUT - I can only
select a "tv + analog" in twinview. When doing so, and expanding the
desktop to that second monitor, I still see the same desktop on both
monitors. Except only half of it! That realy sucks, since most popup
screens now come up on the invisible half - especially the desktop
settings dialogue ;-)

As far as I'm aware, all nVidia cards with two monitor outputs have dual
heads (otherwise there'd be no point putting the extra DVI/DB15 plug on
there - they could put a single DVI plug and give you a DVI - DB15
converter.)

Maybe I have to use one analog and one digital monitor? Two analog
monitors (one of them hooked up to DVI by converter) just don't do
it...

I could understand you having problems detecting a CRT monitor on the
DVI plug (as then no 'control' signals are passed back from the CRT to
the video card) however this should work well with a DVI connection to a
DVI monitor.

I even hooked up two CRT's - exactly the same thing. Both monitors
show the same desktop. Cloned, two mice etc...

So when you've enabled TwinView and the DVI monitor goes black, have you
tried restarting Windows (and the second monitor should remain black
when Windows loads again) then going back into the display properties?
Perhaps it just needs a nudge to detect the second monitor?

When enabling Twinview, the DVI monitor never does go black - it keeps
cloning the desktop.
When rebooting, both monitors go through the same screens. D-Sub
starts a bit earlier.

I am having a hard time getting a decent PCI card - but I will repost
with results...
Old August 10th 04, 09:13 AM
James

It sounds like the nView is working ok, as the default is "clone"...
I don't think you have mentioned what screen setting you have set
nView to, but within the nvidia settings tab of advanced screen
properties, there should be a drop down box to say if you want to
clone, split horiz, split vert, have 2 screens, or whatever. Have you
tried these?

(Richard Dvo??k) wrote in message . com...
Hi Adam,
thanks for taking the time...