Why is Celcius used for measuring the temps?

Old March 26th 04, 03:23 AM
Chris Phillipo

its a really hot day, people will commonly say its 80 or 90 degrees out
there. But a cold day might be 2 or 3 degrees or -2, - 3. What I am saying
is we use Farenheit for warm weather and Centigrade for cold weather.

No-one would dream of saying - its really cold out - its 10F. It just would
never happen. But they will say its 85F. How stupid is that?

Chip

When its cold here and I say it's -15 out, that sounds a whole lot more
bad ass than "5". And I know that if someone says it's 90 out they
aren't using Celsius because they are not on fire.
--
____________________
Remove "X" from email address to reply.
Old March 26th 04, 10:58 AM
Gene Puhl

"Ben Pope" astounded us with: news:c3vlf8$2d3j6p$1@ID-
191149.news.uni-berlin.de:

Rick wrote:
Sounds better than our -5 today in Canada, eh!

You reckon? I've never experienced 42°C, but since that's 5°C hotter

than
your core temperature should be, it's gotta make it hard to regulate your
temperature. Damn, if you measured 42°C in your mouth or any other usual
temperature place (use your imagination) then I wouldn't be putting good
odds on you living, thats brain damage time.

Ice cold drinks help, as does minimal clothing, and shade. Oh, and not
moving, the less heat you generate, the better

At least you can light a fire when it's cold. When it's hot, it's much
harder to find ice...

Head for somewhere airconditioned...

Ben

Gene P
Old March 26th 04, 11:43 AM
Minotaur

How does a British Millionaire become a Billionaire overnight?
Become an American!

Old March 26th 04, 11:51 AM
Chip

"Minotaur" wrote in message
u...
How does a British Millionaire become a Billionaire overnight?
Become an American!

Eh? Run that by me again.

Chip

Old March 26th 04, 01:21 PM
FSAA

I wonder if people can design some kind of thermal clothing that uses a
water cooling system with pumps and radiators etc etc... just need to
integrate some water blocks and pipes into the clothing material. Oh and
have some 7000 RPM fans too

Old March 26th 04, 02:28 PM
mrdancer

"rstlne" wrote in message
You reckon? I've never experienced 42°C, but since that's 5°C hotter

than
your core temperature should be, it's gotta make it hard to regulate

your
temperature. Damn, if you measured 42°C in your mouth or any other

usual
temperature place (use your imagination) then I wouldn't be putting good
odds on you living, thats brain damage time.

At least you can light a fire when it's cold. When it's hot, it's much
harder to find ice...

Ben

I grew up in Lousiaia.. (not the hottest state mind ya) but mix the
humidity, sun, and overall conditions and it's hot ..
av temp 29c
The highest I really "remember" being quoted was in the mid 100's (F)..but
the record high was 109 F (43c)..

I remember one day in Nebraska about 13 years ago.... official temperature
was 114F (45.6C), and the thermometer at the local bank said 125F (51.7C).
I think the state record is a little higher. And yes, it WAS humid!

Maybe this'll help put things into perspective:
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/.../extremes.html

Believe it or not, North Dakota has a higher record temperature than
Louisiana. ;-)
Looks like California has the U.S. record with 134F (56.7C).

Old March 26th 04, 02:29 PM
mrdancer

"FSAA" wrote in message
I wonder if people can design some kind of thermal clothing that uses a
water cooling system with pumps and radiators etc etc... just need to
integrate some water blocks and pipes into the clothing material. Oh and
have some 7000 RPM fans too

BMW has already done it. They have a climate-controlled jacket for their
motorcycle consumers.

Old March 26th 04, 03:22 PM
Roger Hunt

In article , Ben Pope
wrote
(snip)

At least you can light a fire when it's cold. When it's hot, it's much
harder to find ice...

Do you strike flint on it for sparks or something; or use a clear piece,
ground into the shape of a lens, as a magnifying glass with sunlight, on
some tinder?
--
Roger Hunt
Old March 26th 04, 06:16 PM
Ben Pope

Roger Hunt wrote:
In article , Ben Pope
wrote
(snip)

At least you can light a fire when it's cold. When it's hot, it's much
harder to find ice...

Do you strike flint on it for sparks or something; or use a clear piece,
ground into the shape of a lens, as a magnifying glass with sunlight, on
some tinder?

Well I have a Zippo and a SwissFlame (which I got 2 days ago).

Failing that, I think you have to rub two boy scouts together or something.

Ben