Why is Celcius used for measuring the temps?

Old March 25th 04, 11:21 AM
Phÿltêr

Bruce Tyler astounded us with:
news
On 24 Mar 2004 12:43:35 GMT, Gene Puhl wrote:

Bruce Tyler astounded us with:
m:

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:16:41 GMT, "Sruples4Nuples"
wrote:

I don't see it as being any more efficient, when not just use

Fahrenheit?

Personally, I think it's used only because the whole world is now
going metric, except for some countries that refuse to yield...

Inches, feet, yards, miles - Gone.. Now - millimtres mm, centimetres
cm, metres m and kilometres km...

Ounces oz, pounds lbs, stone st, 100 weight cwt, tons t - Gone.. Now
grams gr, kilograms kg, tonnes T...

Faranheit freezing point 32 deg - boiling point 212 deg - Gone...
Celcius freezing point 0 degC,, boiling point 100 degC...

I remember when I was in highschool way back in the early 70's, we
were taught in imperial and metric.. Metrics was supposed to be
officially introduced and become the standard in 1976 in my country
even though we defaulted from Pounds Shillings and Pence to Dollars in
1967...

To be pedantic, it was the 14th of February 1966...

DC (decimal currency) day was 10th july 1967. This I know for a fact
as it was only a day or two after a very significant event in my
life... and metrics day was sometime in the mid-late 70's... As I
stated above,, we were still being taught both imperial and decimal
while I was in high school in the early 70's in preperation for
metrics.. We certainly would NOT have changed to metrics in 1966
while we were still using the Pound as our unit of currency...

I am in New Zealand... I hope you have got the country right. I am
just wondering if you thought maybe I was across the pond in
Aussie....!!!

My mistake....I was referring to Oz

--
Phÿltêr
Denizen of Darkness #44 & AFJC Antipodean Attaché
Old March 25th 04, 02:24 PM
Roger Hunt

In article , rstlne
wrote

"Roger Hunt" wrote in message
In article , Canus_Lupis
wrote
(snip)

To the original poaster, if at idle your temp is between 30C and 40C and

at
load is between 40C and 50C your computer is fine.

That is, between 545.67 and 563.67° Rankine at idle, and at load between
32 and 40 Reaumur.

Versaverter, chock full of obscure units :
http://pawprint.net/vv/

Hi Roger.. Umm
40 C = 104 F = 563.7 R
50 C = 122 F = 581.7 R

Arrgh ... how embarrassing, a glaring error!
But Wait! Hold! I was quoting the 30°C and 40°C at idle, not 40°C and
50°C which were the load temps converted to Reaumur not Rankine, and the
idle temps were 30°C and 40°C to Rankine not Reaumur.

R= ((C*1.8)+32)+459.67

I guess my rounding might be a problem..
but it seems to me like your not adding the 32 back in.. seems like your
adding in 18

I was just copying and pasting from Versaverter, not calculating them
myself. I'm confessing laziness here. :-)
the Reaumer scale is not used anymore, Not to mention that Reaumer scales
didnt actually measure Reaumers correctly.

I thought that was only a reaumour.
but I guess you found it easy to just multiply times 0.8

Only on a good day, mind.

Rgds
--
Roger Hunt

Old March 25th 04, 10:11 PM
Ben Pope

Rick wrote:
Sounds better than our -5 today in Canada, eh!

You reckon? I've never experienced 42°C, but since that's 5°C hotter than
your core temperature should be, it's gotta make it hard to regulate your
temperature. Damn, if you measured 42°C in your mouth or any other usual
temperature place (use your imagination) then I wouldn't be putting good
odds on you living, thats brain damage time.

At least you can light a fire when it's cold. When it's hot, it's much
harder to find ice...

Ben

Old March 26th 04, 12:59 AM
rstlne

You reckon? I've never experienced 42°C, but since that's 5°C hotter than
your core temperature should be, it's gotta make it hard to regulate your
temperature. Damn, if you measured 42°C in your mouth or any other usual
temperature place (use your imagination) then I wouldn't be putting good
odds on you living, thats brain damage time.

At least you can light a fire when it's cold. When it's hot, it's much
harder to find ice...

Ben

I grew up in Lousiaia.. (not the hottest state mind ya) but mix the
humidity, sun, and overall conditions and it's hot ..
av temp 29c
The highest I really "remember" being quoted was in the mid 100's (F)..but
the record high was 109 F (43c)..

See
brain damage & heat
us yanks have an excuse now
:P

Old March 26th 04, 03:18 AM
Chris Phillipo

That metric system must be great at helping them calculate their

enormous
taxes.

Tell me about it....
Units of 10 may come in handy in the USA too especially with a president
who's intellect is such that he has to count on using his fingers.

Clinton's been out of office for years.

Clinton only needed to count on one digit. The current monkey likes to
know how many bananas they throw in his cage so he can look for
terrorist patterns.
--
____________________
Remove "X" from email address to reply.
Old March 26th 04, 03:18 AM
Chris Phillipo

In article , .
@text.news.virgin.net says...
That metric system must be great at helping them calculate their

enormous
taxes.

Actually - and worryingly! - our tax rates are actually lower than yours.
Despite Tony Blair's best efforts to screw up the economy, he's failed and
its actually doing OK for a change.

Chip.

Yea..
It's strange isnt it

Taxes are lower, Roads are better, Medical is free

HMM
Not sure if it's just because the UK doesnt fund the great war machine or
what

Pfft, you hardly have any 2 billion dollar planes for a war that never
happened. What kind of country are you running over there.
--
Remove "X" from email address to reply.