2400bps bbs user behind on times or; I just crawled out from a really big rock and saw all this neat **** or I was a teenage cult member and it ate my brain....

Old August 10th 04, 05:29 AM
Dick+Bush=Phucked

Default 2400bps bbs user behind on times or; I just crawled out from a really big rock and saw all this neat **** or I was a teenage cult member and it ate my brain....

Ok, so I've got this really neat Tandy, and I was thinking about
getting on-line, but I can't seem to find anyone who will work on it.
I'm sure there are plenty of good parts out there.

So I need to get a new computer the guy tells me. So I ask him what I
neeed, and he said that I could get a very nice computer from Dell, or
Gateway, Or Compaq/HP. Just make sure it had "Windows" because thats
what everybodi uses these days.

I said "Yep ever since they came out with flat glass" I"d never heard
of Bill Gates before that day.

So 3 hours and 1000 dollars later he had what he said was the "least
oblosete" system on the market.

it wasn't untill later i discovered that olnly lasted 1/100 of a
second.

please forgive the sp my meds are wearing off.

Now about these new computers
how much ram does a person really need? Is a gig overdoing it? Do I
need three to keep up with progress? How much progress is there to be
made when the processor melts it's way through the motherboard and the
fancy plastic case and falls flaming and smoking to the floor. Yes
I'm talking to the gamers out there. If it wasn't for you guys
computers would never have come so far so damn fast.

My point. What is this "Wall" I hear about? Is is a myth or is there
just really an end to the Internet?

Seriously, Today's processors the fastest are what 2.3 gigahertz,
headed to 3.0? or is there a limit to how fast they can be made to go
with current technology.
I remember someone saying that it is the printed circut
design/material that was the barrier.
Now I understand a little about frequencies, and less about the finer
points of modern innovation
Are there certain frequencies you would optimally have matched for top
performance, ie 400mhz ram/mb/processor components

Really, I just want to know if yesterdays technology isn't so old,
that up-gradeing isn't worth my time, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
So what if it's a 33.6 dial up connection, if it's all I need for a
couple of hours a night to try to **** somebody off,
Old August 10th 04, 07:39 AM

Dick+Bush=Phucked wrote:
(hmm... the name DOES speak the truth, Vote Kerry! or Nader! or
anything BUT Bush)

Ok, so I've got this really neat Tandy, and I was thinking about
getting on-line, but I can't seem to find anyone who will work on it.

I'm sure there are plenty of good parts out there.

Honestly... you are only the second person I know who has had such a
computer. The First was back in 1995, back when people were just
starting to become de-educated by micro$oft

So I need to get a new computer the guy tells me. So I ask him what I
neeed, and he said that I could get a very nice computer from Dell,

or
Gateway, Or Compaq/HP. Just make sure it had "Windows" because thats
what everybodi uses these days.

oohhh yay!! a chance for some windoze-bashing!! fun fun fun!!! and
Dell/Gateway/HP/IBM/Compaq bashing too!!

I said "Yep ever since they came out with flat glass" I"d never heard
of Bill Gates before that day.

A good thing too, for if you have a system equipped with an operating
system made from this demon's vile corporation, you will soon regret
ever touching a computer.

So 3 hours and 1000 dollars later he had what he said was the "least
oblosete" system on the market.

Please tell me you *didn't* make the biggest mistake one could possibly
make. PLEASE tell me you *didn't* buy an overpriced prefabricated
computer equipped with an Intel Processor and any version of Windows.

it wasn't untill later i discovered that olnly lasted 1/100 of a
second.

please forgive the sp my meds are wearing off.

Now about these new computers
how much ram does a person really need? Is a gig overdoing it? Do I
need three to keep up with progress? How much progress is there to be
made when the processor melts it's way through the motherboard and

the
fancy plastic case and falls flaming and smoking to the floor. Yes
I'm talking to the gamers out there. If it wasn't for you guys
computers would never have come so far so damn fast.

Indeed the more Ram you have the better off you are. that fool from
that vile corporation once stated that "640K should be enough for
anyone", My computer that i recently upgraded had about 1000 times
that.further, you use the word "gamers" as if it were a derogitory
term. the Linux community could use someone like you.

My point. What is this "Wall" I hear about? Is is a myth or is there
just really an end to the Internet?

In truth, the end of the internet does existbut we are nowhere near the
Limit of IP addresses that can be assigned to websites. you seem to be
a hardcore user, how high of a number can 64 bits produce? thats 2^64

Seriously, Today's processors the fastest are what 2.3 gigahertz,
headed to 3.0? or is there a limit to how fast they can be made to go
with current technology.

actually, with CURRENT technology, no progress will ever be made. try
filling a piece of paper with 0.9mm lead, then try 0.7mm then 0.5 if we
can't make it in todays size, tomorrow the technology will be better
and we can make it the same size then.

I remember someone saying that it is the printed circut
design/material that was the barrier.
Now I understand a little about frequencies, and less about the finer
points of modern innovation
Are there certain frequencies you would optimally have matched for

top
performance, ie 400mhz ram/mb/processor components

again, we are nowhere near the limit here. look at a piece of ethernet
cable rated cat5, then look at a piece of cat6, if it wasn't printed on
the cable, you'd never be able to tell. as far as matching the FSB
speed with the RAM and CPU Bus speed, yes, you would get better
performance, but as L2 cache sizes are still on the rise, and some
newer processers have a larger L3 cache, the performance diference may
become less and less noticeable.

Really, I just want to know if yesterdays technology isn't so old,
that up-gradeing isn't worth my time, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

So what if it's a 33.6 dial up connection, if it's all I need for a
couple of hours a night to try to **** somebody off,

actually, my view (and this view is shared probably by the entire Linux
community) is that a system need only be upgraded to the point where it
is supported by Linux. i'm running an obsolescent pentium 1 with 233
MHz (overclocked to 266) 128 MB of RAM, and a 4.3 GB hard drive. mind
you, this system is NOT equipped with that "Windows" thing that that
pushy salesperson was talking about. While Windoze is still the
standard, it is a shrinking standard, soon to be lost to UNIX and Linux
operating systems, due to its oppressive copyright protection and
retroactive updates.

allow me to introduce you to the true revolution, the one that refuses
to die. said revolution is called "Linux" much heat is arising about
Linux: SCO lawsuits, Microsoft propaganda, etc. etc. If you are truly
opposed to this new compuer world, you may want to use Linux, before
you lose too many brain cells to that thing called "windows". Linux is
not for the newbie who has grown up with windoze. if you are a hardened
command-line veteran, Linux may be right for you. there are many Linux
"Distributions" (Distros) out there. some of the most popular a
SuSE, Knoppix, Debian, Slackware, and Gentoo. All of the distributions
listed here are available for free download, one of them is available
at CompUSA for a price. If you have a friend who has a CD Burner and/or
a high-speed internet connection, said friend might be able to help you
in getting the download. otherwise, you're best off going to compUSA
and buying SuSE Linux 9.1 Professional (comes with a **** load of
documentation, and a demo CD i think, and costs less than the Home
edition of Windoze XP)

for more info, please visit comp.os.linux, very helpful group, if i do
say so myself

Old August 10th 04, 08:35 PM
Dick+Bush=Phucked

Ok, so I've got this really neat Tandy, and I was thinking about
getting on-line, but I can't seem to find anyone who will work on it.

I'm sure there are plenty of good parts out there.

Honestly... you are only the second person I know who has had such a
computer. The First was back in 1995, back when people were just
starting to become de-educated by micro$oft

Tandy 1000 no hd 256k ram keyboard and cpu one piece

A good thing too, for if you have a system equipped with an operating
system made from this demon's vile corporation, you will soon regret
ever touching a computer.

Wasn't there that rumor about the gates of hell being found at certian
junctions of cells on said company's office software?

So 3 hours and 1000 dollars later he had what he said was the "least
oblosete" system on the market.

Please tell me you *didn't* make the biggest mistake one could possibly
make. PLEASE tell me you *didn't* buy an overpriced prefabricated
computer equipped with an Intel Processor and any version of Windows.

no, i didn't buy anything but a 3.5 drive to upgrade the Tandy :

I'm talking to the gamers out there. If it wasn't for you guys
computers would never have come so far so damn fast.

so UNIX is a free source code, now is that the basic kernel you get
coded in the downloads, then when you get the "brand" UNIX like Linux,
RedHat, etc you get the kernel, plus code to make it easier on a new
user to operate the os.?

I suppose one would not need the most advanced technology on the
market with unix because it is less demanding on resources, allowing
thee user more freedom and ultimatly more "power" in a relative sense.

I appreciate your time, and I might download me a proper OS
Old August 11th 04, 01:18 PM
Pandora Xero

(Dick+Bush=Phucked) wrote in message . com...
Ok, so I've got this really neat Tandy, and I was thinking about
getting on-line, but I can't seem to find anyone who will work on it.

I'm sure there are plenty of good parts out there.

Honestly... you are only the second person I know who has had such a
computer. The First was back in 1995, back when people were just
starting to become de-educated by micro$oft

Tandy 1000 no hd 256k ram keyboard and cpu one piece

A good thing too, for if you have a system equipped with an operating
system made from this demon's vile corporation, you will soon regret
ever touching a computer.

Wasn't there that rumor about the gates of hell being found at certian
junctions of cells on said company's office software?

Undoubtedly, and its prolly true, too

So 3 hours and 1000 dollars later he had what he said was the "least
oblosete" system on the market.

Please tell me you *didn't* make the biggest mistake one could possibly
make. PLEASE tell me you *didn't* buy an overpriced prefabricated
computer equipped with an Intel Processor and any version of Windows.

no, i didn't buy anything but a 3.5 drive to upgrade the Tandy :

I'm talking to the gamers out there. If it wasn't for you guys
computers would never have come so far so damn fast.

so UNIX is a free source code, now is that the basic kernel you get
coded in the downloads, then when you get the "brand" UNIX like Linux,
RedHat, etc you get the kernel, plus code to make it easier on a new
user to operate the os.?

Actually... Linux is not a type of UNIX at all, in all technicality,
it is a system built from scratch to mimic UNIX. Linux has several
different distributions (Redhat, SuSE, Mandrake, Debian, Slackware,
the list is almost endless...) each made by a different company or
organization, each with its own specializations. The Kernel is
open-source, which makes one able to change settings within the
kernel, then there's Programs that are automatically loaded at boot.
Programs like CUPS (Common Unix Printing System), DHCPD (DHCP Daemon),
and NFSD (NFS Daemon).... don't worry about that for now.

I suppose one would not need the most advanced technology on the
market with unix because it is less demanding on resources, allowing
thee user more freedom and ultimatly more "power" in a relative sense.

actually, like i said, UNIX and Linux are technically NOT the same
thing, but they are so similar, the difference is practically
negligible. the largest difference between UNIX and Linux is the
systems they are designed to run on. UNIX is designed for Servers and
high-end workstations. Linux, though, is intended for relatively
low-end systems, but once again, you got the basic idea

I appreciate your time, and I might download me a proper OS

Don't forget: Check the requirements for whatever distribution you
plan on using. I (unfortunately for your situation) doubt that a linux
distribution has been made for a tandy. most modern distributions
require a Pentium 1 or higher, which one can get a hold of for less
than 100 these days. thats how much the one im using costed. plus a
stolen hard drive and sound card, and memory a hardened
command-line veteran should have no problem using Linux, especially
since using a command-line interface is much faster (in terms of
computer speed) than using a GUI. virtually everything in linux can be
done using the command line interface (even burning CD's and Listening
to music).