Questions on 3d settings

Old April 14th 07, 02:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Don Burnette

Default Questions on 3d settings

Hey all,

I just recently put a BFG 8800 GTS 640 mb card in my system.
I am running the 97.94 Forceware drivers supplied by BFG.
My current system:
EVGA 680i mb
Intel Core2 Duo E6600 - running at 3.0 ghz
2gb Corsair Extreme PC8500 ddr2 ram

It has been quite some time, since I have owned an Nvidia card, having used
ATI for the last few years, and am curious about some of the 3d settings in
Nvidia control panel.

1: Antialiasing - I normally run at 4x, what is gamma correction, and
transparency? Should these be set to off or on normally, and what impact
might they have on performance? What would be the benefit, of having these
two set to on, versus off, if any?
Also, I see there is like an 8xQ, and a 16xq - what is the difference
between the q, and say just an 8x or 16x?

2: Triple Buffering - mine by default, is set to off - is this preferable,
to having it set to on?

3: Texture Filtering - negative lod bias - mine by default is set to "
clamp", the other option is " allow" - what does this do?

I'll stop there for now, some of these may be stupid questions I am sure...

Thanks for any tips,

--
Don

Old April 14th 07, 07:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

"Don Burnette" wrote in message
It has been quite some time, since I have owned an Nvidia card, having
used ATI for the last few years, and am curious about some of the 3d
settings in Nvidia control panel.

1: Antialiasing - I normally run at 4x, what is gamma correction,

Certain AA sampling and blending patterns cause the screen brightness to
drop a little. ATi's AA implementation included gamma correction by default
since the Radeon 9x00 days. nVidia gives you the option to turn it on or
off. Experiment to see what you like better.

transparency? Should these be set to off or on normally, and what impact
might they have on performance? What would be the benefit, of having these
two set to on, versus off, if any?

Simply, the alpha textures receive AA as well, similar to ATi's Adaptive AA.
Transparency supersampling AA is the equivalent of Adaptive AA in "quality"
mode. For details, go he
http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_6.html The *majority* of the information
is correct...

Also, I see there is like an 8xQ, and a 16xq - what is the difference
between the q, and say just an 8x or 16x?

If you really want to know...
As far as the user is concerned, just know that "Q" modes provide better
quality, but are slower.

Again, http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_6.html

Old April 14th 07, 08:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Don Burnette

"First of One" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the info!

--
Don

Old April 15th 07, 12:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon

'Don Burnette' wrote, in part:
It has been quite some time, since I have owned an Nvidia card, having
used ATI for the last few years, and am curious about some of the 3d
settings in Nvidia control panel.

1: Antialiasing - I normally run at 4x, what is gamma correction, and
transparency? Should these be set to off or on normally, and what impact
might they have on performance? What would be the benefit, of having these
two set to on, versus off, if any?

_____

Gamma correction:

Gamma is the function that relates the signal to light intensity or light to
signal intensity. For a monitor a gamma of 1 is a linear increase in
brightness with equal steps in brightness from dark to light. A gamma of
less than one gives a image with 'stretched' blacks and 'compressed' whites
(more detail in the darkest part of an image a gamma of more than one
gives an image with compressed blacks and stretched whites (more detail in
the lightest part of an image.) A monitor has three colors of pixels, so
there is a gamma for each color; red, green, and blue. If these three
gammas are not equal, the image will change tint as the brightness varies
and only 100% white and complete black will be correct; grays will be
tinted. When you have trouble making out detail in the darkest portion of
images in a game, then reduce the gamma. For other applications (editing a
photo, for example) you should either use the preset gamma provided for the
particular monitor or use a gamma/contrast/brightness setting applet.

Old April 15th 07, 12:33 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Don Burnette

"Phil Weldon" wrote in message
.net...
'Don Burnette' wrote, in part:
[...]

Good info, thanks for that Phil.

--
Don

Aggressive memory settings questions Howie Asus Motherboards 4 November 6th 04 07:29 PM
Settings Questions Radio Man Webcams 0 August 23rd 04 01:55 AM
SATA drive questions + raid questions O |V| 3 G A General 17 September 29th 03 11:28 PM
SATA drive questions + raid questions O |V| 3 G A Homebuilt PC's 17 September 29th 03 11:28 PM
Optimal bios settings? cpu external frequency settings? etc Mothra Asus Motherboards 8 July 4th 03 04:21 AM